• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

OMFG!!! UGH!!! I AM SOOO ANNOYED RIGHT NOW!! *WARNING THIS IS A RANT*

medaid

Army.ca Veteran
Inactive
Reaction score
SO! being the nice friend that I am, I congratulated a not so close friend of mine on her recent engagement. Knowing that her fiance is an  Australian Armoured Corps Lieutenant, I invited him tonight (it's 0018hrs Thursday) to have a drink with me and the boys and swap war stories or stories to that effect. No sooner had I said that, my friend turns all weird, and starts saying that her fiance is an exam guy and she didn't want to talk about that anymore. To which I said that there are no exam guys. There are army guys, and the guys who were never in the forces. I asked her what was wrong, and she began this long tirade with regards to how stupid the army is, and how they control your life, and I would never understand because I was a reservist. She went on and on and how unorganized the reserves are, and this is coming from an individual whose never ever served a day in her life, and the closest she's ever gotten to joining was when her fiance went down to a local armoured regiment and picked up an application package.

She then started to criticize how slow and lazy people are in the recruiting system (bare with me here guys, I work in recruiting I know but...), how even though they want her fiance so bad, they're unwilling to get off their *** to help him. She then went on this whole thing about how special his case is, how much they wanted him and how they've given him a citizen ship waiver and he's so special that there's only been a small amount of cases. Then some more army bashing, and reserve bashing and how I will never understand.

Mean while I'm sitting here... trying to explain things to her, but she's just not willing to listen. Then she starts saying that people like me are arrogant, who thinks that she knows nothing, but she thinks she knows everything because her fiance tells her about it, and some of her friends who are also with this armoured unit have always complained to her about this that, training being cancelled, they don't do anything when they show up... and the list goes on.

*sigh* I tried to tell her that she needs to calm down and just read what I have to say, my position for a little bit. She was unwilling. she went as far as saying that I am annoying and that I don't know anything at all. Just because I worked in recruiting doesn't mean I know anything and everything.

Compared to many members here, my service is insignificant by comparison, however, I take pride in what I do. Despite my despair at unchanging systems and commands who are unwilling to listen to suggestions from the troops in the field, I and all of you take pride in what you're doing or you wouldn't be here.
I am proud to be a member of the Canadian Forces. I am proud to have served with the members of my unit and of other units. I am proud to wear my uniform each and everyday that I go to work... to have a friend tell me that I don't know anything about the reserves, the forces, the army, the recruiting fiascoes infuriated me! Here I was trying to help out a friend, to help her fiance to pursue his ambitions on rejoining the army, she is bashing me left right and centre, and the institution that I hold dear! From what I understood was that the Australian Armoured Corps really shafted the fiance, and because of his language skills he was left on a ship with the navy to patrol for 3 months. He did nothing for 3 months. I feel for him. But I also do not condone those who complain about the command that they serve with and had never attempted to rectify some, not all, but SOME of the wrongs that was done to them.

But here was a disgruntled fiance who has never in her life thought about the military or how they worked, never sought to find reasons behind certain things, taking EVERYTHING at face value and hating the military and thinking all those who don't agree with her is an idiot and should be treated as such. I just couldn't believe some of the things she said to ME!! UGH!! I WAS TRYING TO HELP!  :threat:

I AM SOOO MAD RIGHT NOW!!!!!

This may be somewhat ignorant but entirely possible and I mean no disrespect to women out there, just saying its a fact of life but uh... could this sudden onset of a tirade be linked to uhh... "That time of the month?"

*braces for incoming fire*

A) Punch your friend
B) The CF recruiting system IS garbage and needs a complete overhaul.
C) Don't sell yourself short, you're service isn't insignificant compared to anyone. Wearing a uniform is wearing a uniform.
D) Punch yourself for putting OMFG!!!! in your thread title.

I feel for you man........I suggest , throat punches for everyone involved.  >:D

Flawed Design said:
A) Punch your friend
C) Don't sell yourself short, you're service isn't insignificant compared to anyone. Wearing a uniform is wearing a uniform.

+1 for me.... but not for the OMFG  :salute:

You need to read "Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus"
Women dont want you to fix their problems...they want you to listen...that makes them feel understood. If she wanted your help she would have sent HIM over to talk to you.

hank011 said:
You need to read "Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus"
Women dont want you to fix their problems...they want you to listen...that makes them feel understood. If she wanted your help she would have sent HIM over to talk to you.

I've read it....it may be true in some cases, but there's no way I'd put up with it.

They want us to nod and back them up that everything they're saying is completely true, in the case of problems, utterly, utterly hopeless as opposed to providing solutions.  Sorry, but if you have a problem and you don't me to tell how to fix it, go tell someone else. 

Matthew. 

Cdn. Royal said:
I feel for you man........I suggest , throat punches for everyone involved.  >:D

I'm down with th throat-punches

Flawed Design said:

+10  I am all for the punches, heck I could use a good one myself.....  But the OMFG, that has to GO!

I may have to send the Miller Lite Man Law police after you!

Here, Here,

Never again should OMFG be used in a title!    :-X

I mean, come on seriously!

Flawed Design said:
A) Punch your friend

hahahahahahahahhahaaa

Okay, I would have told her to STFU and go find a corner to stand on her head in.

You were too nice.  I would not have been.  ;D

Well deserved rant.

And I was really with you until your very last sentence. And I give you a -1. (Just for the last sentence though). The rest is indeed worthy of ranting about.

I consider myself kind of impartial/fair/whatever. But boy did I pick up on your last sentence. Can I start my rant now based upon the subtle little comment based on stereotypes of the Reg/Res you managed to get into that last line? Or is it only her stereotypical comments that count?  ;D

1 Team guys, all the time.

Your rant would have been perfect were it not for that one part from my point of view.

MedTech said:
I AM SOOO MAD RIGHT NOW!!!!!

Go to the punching bag. It works for me. Better than having the RCMP's at your doorstep. Like as if I would know....  ::)

Since she doesn't seem to care about your opinions or knowledge of the matter, don't bother talking to her about it, tell her that you are her punching bag for her frustrations and if she ever feels ready to listen to someone else then give you a call.

Further to something the Librarian picked up on...

I personally was in the Regs for a number of years.  Then I got out and joined the Reserves.  I had all the misconceptions and prejudices (poorly trained half soldiers, etc.) in the back of my head too - but to my complete shock I found out how exactly wrong they were.  The training standards may be technically lower on the courses, but that didn't stop the NCO's from making up for that (it could do with the fact that we had a number of Medak Pocket, and various other type vets on board at the time).

Also, whenever I went on exercises in the Regs, you were given some sort of time off when you came back.  Most Reservists don't get that.  Imagine starting Friday morning at your normal 8 to 4, then coming home, grabbing your kit and heading in to an armoury where after some necessary confusion you get on a bus and "play silly bugger in the bush" without more than the occasional stop for something to eat or drink, until Sunday afternoon.  Then you get back on a bus, come back to the armoury, clean all the kit, put it away, have a beer with the guys, go home completely exhausted because you have missed not one, but two nights sleep, all to start work again at 0800 the next morning where your civvie boss doesn't give a flying **** if you're tired from playing with the army.

Reservists do this all the time.  And for relatively less pay.  From my experience, the dedication of a Reservist to his country and military can sometimes outweigh that of his Regular force counterpart.

Of course, this will not stop the regular inter service verbal bashing that is intended as a joke (take the inter-regimental name calling between PPCLI and RCR for example - if you didn't know any better, you'd think those two groups don't like each other when that's the farthest thing from the truth).

But that's just an old CSS fart's opinion.  Feel free to disregard.

+1 Xena,

Intended bashes on other environments, Units, components etc based upon stereotypical outlooks and views is not on.

Rivalry (ie your PPCLI example) in the spirit of Unit morale is quite the different thing and is taken as the joke it's manner intends.

1 Team, all the time.

Don't worry about it to much there are waaaayy to many wifes out there that think they know it all just because their husband is in the forces or trying to join etc etc etc.   Nothing you can do is good enough, put them on ignore or as a good back-up throat punches work wonders.

But as for the frustration Med Tech is feeling,

Women,  can't live with them...

That's all I got to say. ;D
(please don't flame me, it's a joke - just kidding - I know this is all discussed to death elsewhere - white flag!)

hahaha thank you ALL for your kind replies!  :).

Librarian -  consider my last sentence withdrawn. Heck I'll go and delete it right now! 1 Team.

All - Never shall OMFG appear upon a title of a rant  ;)

I agree with everyone. I shall never again speak to her... about anything. No, I'm not gonna throat punch her/punch her/ or any other aggravated physical assault. I will however, treat her with respect, and not bring up that subject again. Although the chances of us talking from now on are quite slim. A good night's sleep definetly helped alot. Now I look upon the whole situation, it was indeed as simple as 'me talk, YOU listen' type of mentality.

No, I dont think military wives, fiances, hunnies, are in anyway misguided in believing that the army or any other service is bad for their significant other. But, I do believe that they should attempt to see the other side of the arguements they pose before killing it in a rage of flying sauce pans (not that all women should be a house wife, please, that's not what I meant  ;D)

Thank you all for reading and bearing through that long rant, and posting such humurous replies. You guys make my days....

Did it ever occur to you that she got all her info from him??? Just playing Devil's Advocate here.  >:D
Glad you got it off your chest, I would have been pissed ticked off too!!  :mad:

Back