• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Old Rucksack?

cadettrooper

Inactive
Reaction score
can anyone identify this rucksack? it definitely looks Canadian(or British) 50's pattern maybe?.............

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Canadian-Army-Military-Backpack-Rucksack-Canada_W0QQitemZ140037502716QQihZ004QQcategoryZ25552QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Looks like an old British Para/SAS Rucksack. I could be wrong though...

I don't think it's Canadian or British.  The leather straps on it aren't a feature found on British or Canadian packs (at least dating back to pre-WW1).  I'd suspect that it's probably some post WW2 European military pack; possibly Austrian, Swiss or German.

I actually agree with Matt_Fisher. It looks more German. The leather straps are a strong clue.

The design is very similar to the one I got issued. This one looks better ... and I'm sure when you get it it wontr smell like swamp mold. (one month and three washings later I still keep it in a garbage bag)  If you're buying this for historical authenticity,  ask the seller for an explanation/proof. If on the other hand you're looking for a good rucksack this one seems like it would do the trick.

I bought several items in the past with some strange smells that came with it lol

I went to the drug store and bought some ' Nilodor '.
It's a small bottle and one drop in the sack will remove the smell.
It's mostly used to remove skunk odors. So if it can remove something that stinky, it can remove a musky smell.

I couldn't vought for the provenance of the item, but I'm pretty sure it was at one time Canadian Issue (somewhere before the 1964 Pat Cargo Pack and the C2 Rucksack).  The reason I say this is my Dad used to have one kicking around and I can remember the fit he had when my mom threw it out ;D

xFusilier said:
I couldn't vought for the provenance of the item, but I'm pretty sure it was at one time Canadian Issue (somewhere before the 1964 Pat Cargo Pack and the C2 Rucksack).  The reason I say this is my Dad used to have one kicking around and I can remember the fit he had when my mom threw it out ;D

ya that's why i thought it was 50's pattern, because if you look closely you can see it has our side pockets (with the pull tabs).

Hi,

I joined in 1956 and was never issued/wore a ruck that looked anything like that one. I was in Germany from 1957-59, and worked with German, British, and Belgique forces, and don't recall seeing anything like that at all. Mind you, that was a long long time ago.

All the best  Drummy

I have one of those. The leather straps and metal ring on the top are the dead give always. I think I paid about $20.00 15 years ago for it in a downtown TO surplus store. I was told then, or looked it up it was French Army issue (possibly Alpine troops), but never did confirm it.

Not a bad little pack, the D9er still uses it for grocery shopping in Chinatown.

Back