• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Old regimental system

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ontario

Banned
Banned
Inactive
Reaction score
Whatever happened to the old system in which each regiment was a battalion, what made the PM do this. I think we should go back(people are proobably rolling there eyes because im still talking about the "old"way)because wouldnt it give regiments a chance for more honours. All youd have to do is rename the 2nd and 3rd battalions to say the 48 highlanders, or black watch, then we have many regiments in the regular force like 1CMBG could consist of PPCLI, Loyal Edmonton, R22er,  2CMBG- Black watch, 48 highlanders, RCR,  rename 5CMBG to 3CMBG- and it could consist of Queens own rifles, winipeg rifles, and the Royal newfoundland regiment. (regiments are only examples, obviously wouldnt be like this but its an example) Of course now you would need to put in the amoured regiments, artillery regiments,etc.  Then reinsate the 1st canadian division. Please give your honest opinion on this, if you wish.

My honest opinion ... I am not sure what "problem" you are trying to solve with this proposed "solution". There are many issues at play, more than just "renaming the 2nd and 3rd battalions". Perhaps you should conduct some more research.  I would recommend this as a start - http://regimentalrogue.com/papers/the_regimental_system.htm - and then suggest you may want to start looking for some of the referenced works in the footnotes too.

A- Plus Michael

I am like you, not quite sure what the question  was all about ??

:salute:

mmmmph - was going to throw in my 2 cents worth.... nah!
CSA pert well summed it up

Although I agree with all of the comments concerning Ontario's uninformed
post,he inadvertently raise an interesting point.How many battalions should a
regiment have before a new(old) regiment should be raised,I think that any
more than 4 bn. would present a regt. depot with problems keeping a 4 bn.
regt.supplied with replacement pers.and a regt. hq. would be overwhelmed
with admin. work.To solve this problem I think I have a solution,bring back
the Black Watch!.
                      Regards

My question was what happened to the way regiments used to be. Then i just said if we went back new  honours could be earned by regiments. The only regiments that can earn new battle honours is 3, PPCLI,RCR, and the Van Doos. If we went back 9 could earn more honours. But anyways the main question was what happened the old system.

The 48th Highlanders of Canada was never a regular force battalion, they only raised battalions as the need arose in times of war.

However, I do like the fact that you kind of knew them.

dileas

tess

Most i said they were never regular battalions, but it doesnt mean there not allowed to become one.  ;)

Ontario said:
My question was what happened to the way regiments used to be. Then i just said if we went back new  honours could be earned by regiments. The only regiments that can earn new battle honours is 3, PPCLI,RCR, and the Van Doos. If we went back 9 could earn more honours. But anyways the main question was what happened the old system.

CSA105 pretty well covered the main points.

Your return, with the above is nit picking and totally incorrect.  It is a temporary fact that exists only at this moment in time.  All the other regiments can still earn "Battle Honours" (if this is what you are alluding to) as they did in all previous wars/conflicts when they were "Mobilized".  Things have not chanced much since Confederation.  Reserve Regiments (formerly the Militia) are still not Regular Force (formerly Permanent Force) so your argument is moot.

You are also incorrect at limiting the number of 'Active Regiments' to three, as there are currently more than three Regular Force Regiments.

You have been advised to do more research into the "HISTORY" of the CF.  Please follow that advice.

Ontario said:
Most i said they were never regular battalions, but it doesnt mean there not allowed to become one.  ;)

Hmm,

Hmm I see.  But the guys love only parading on Friday nights, in downtown Toronto.

Now they woulde have to come in everyday and sit around a long table in the platoon room.

Nah, won't fly.

dileas

tess

George im talking infantry hear, as i said in the first post of this topic you would have to add in the armour, artillery,etc. How can they earn honours in modern times. Do you actually beleive theres going to be a war where we have to mobilize our military. Even if theres a WW3 our gov't would probably send a brigade only.
If we replaced the 2nd and 3rd battalions with regiments then they could earn houners in afghanistan, or somewhere eles, instead of sayiung we sent 5 soldiers to the war on terror. 48 regulator, the people in the actual reserve regiment wouldnt be the men making up the regular force battalion. One of the renamed battalions men would. Those who are loyal to the 48 highlanders would go regular to. The only question is would the men want to be rebadged to a new regiment.

Take away the regiment  :'(

Where would the regiment go?  Oh no.

If we did get to go to Pet, can someone also commision the government to mark Sassy's as a historical site, and have an act of parliament raise the Bar again to its original gandeur?

Oh man this is sweet.

See the cup is always half full.

dilea

tess

Yes theyd move from Toronto. Unless a base could be built near the city. Each base should consist of a battlegroup. More bases means the military would be more spread across Canada bringing the military closer with the local population.

Ontario said:
Yes theyd move from Toronto. Unless a base could be built near the city. Each base should consist of a battlegroup. More bases means the military would be more spread across Canada bringing the military closer with the local population.

Hey we can open up base downsview again....now yer talking.  Would we go back to Mech as we were in the 80's and early 90's or all the way back to being plain infantry as we are now?

This is fun! :)  Brings back memories.

dileas

tess

Ontario said:
Those who are loyal to the 48 highlanders would go regular to.
So are you saying that you can only be loyal to your regiment if you join the regular forces?
Are you forgetting that most reservists have families and/or other jobs?

Soldiers?  With guns?  On the streets of OUR cities?  I hope you're making this up.

midget-boyd said:
So are you saying that you can only be loyal to your regiment if you join the regular forces?
Are you forgetting that most reservists have families and/or other jobs?

Hey wait, I know, I know!!

10-90

Man this game gets better with every post.

dileas

tess

Kat Stevens said:
Soldiers?  With guns?  On the streets of OUR cities?  I hope you're making this up.

ROTFLMFAO!! .... Nice. Way to bring bad an old classic!  Now excuse me while I go change my pants.

Midget WTF are you talking about, if there loyal they ll go regular along with there regiment. They ll go if they really love the regiment, if not they can stay back. If you follow the thread Ive mentioned they should open a base close to Toronto so there not leaving there family. Kat i dont mean walking around our streats like in the FLQ crisis, just they go to High school, and to downtown to show of there gear stuff like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back