• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

old man joining up

seadog70 said:
I don't think I'd mind the wait time in-between training courses, it's how things are done after all. The frustartion on my end is the seemingly excessive wait time to make progress with my application file processing. I hear all kinds of things, some conflicting, some confusing, some encouraging, some not so-encouraging. I've been patiently waiting, calling when told to, checking up on my file as I can, trying to be "pro-active" with it. Part of the frustration is not living close to the recruitment center, which for me is a min. 4 hour drive and one or two days off work. So I've been doing some volunteer work, going to the gym, and trying to increase and expand my knowledge in the area I have applied for. But the waiting is frustrating.

A buddy of mine has been in the NAvy for about 7 years now, and he says that the military has a "hurry up and wait" mentality...  As it was, I had to wait for what I thought was an eternity to get my job offer and get sworn in.  But as I continue to cruise these chat forums, I find people who have been waiting ALOT longer than I did...  From Application to swearing in took me about 5 1/2 months...  some people wait double or even triple that.

Have heart, my friend, you'll be hearing from someone sooner than you think.

Good luck.

Rev

Just did my update job interview ( switched trades since the original choices were full, and I  kinda want in!) and was told " sit back, relax, stay out of trouble. Expect a call" . And yes, they did mention that when it happened, it would happen fast. I'm feeling pretty good right now, kinda giddy for a 40yr old. :) The hard part now I think is going to be keeping my job for these ( hopefully) last few days/weeks. I want to walk in tomorrow and say " I quit " . This is such a cool feeling, not quite like christmas, but almost, and I'm sure that one will come.

seadog70 said:
Just did my update job interview ( switched trades since the original choices were full, and I  kinda want in!) and was told " sit back, relax, stay out of trouble. Expect a call" . And yes, they did mention that when it happened, it would happen fast. I'm feeling pretty good right now, kinda giddy for a 40yr old. :) The hard part now I think is going to be keeping my job for these ( hopefully) last few days/weeks. I want to walk in tomorrow and say " I quit " . This is such a cool feeling, not quite like christmas, but almost, and I'm sure that one will come.

All said and done I had spent about an hour in the CFRC.  After nearly a year of waiting I received a phone call and was told that I had less than a week to get on the plane.  While not ideal, it was certainly exciting.  Best of luck in your case, it's worth the wait! 

Well, just spoke with my MCC ( Military Career Counsellor) today, was informed that I am considered very competitive for my chosen trades, which while not surprising was very welcome news, welcome and calming news, now I need to wait for the next BMQ to be "opened" so that they (CF Recruiting) can line up jobs with potential recruits, anyoine who has been through this knows , I'm sure, how A) exciting, and B) agonizing, this can be. Basically, I'm waiting to see how many others have applied for the same trade as myself, since it's a national competition, and that won't be known ( I'm told ) until the next BMQ is officially 'opened'. Feels good. Just wanted to post a thank you to everyone here who has wished me well, offered encouragement and/or advice. It is looking good. And I'll be sure to share my news when I do here more "official" information. Again, thanks to everyone for their help.

Today on Army News, there was a report on new exercices on BMQ. They talked with a man 56 years old who just joined.

Hey seadog,

Good luck with your application process.  I know that sitting around, wainting for the call can be excrutiating, so try to find things to do with your time until then.  If you have a job right now, immerse yourself with it.  I also found that becoming actively involved in this site (sometimes veering out of my lane  :-[ ) and with the chat room tat is provided here, that I was able to connect with a multitude of people, from new recruits, active members, and even grizzled retirees.  The information that I gained here was no detriment, and I am thankful for the connections that I made here.

Also, if you do not have a PT schedule in place by now, start.  I'm glad I started training when I finished all the requirements for my file (Cfat, Medical, Interview) in January.  I started att a weight of 316 lbs, and I now tip the scales at about 285 lbs.  Even if I hadn't gotten the call, I would have been proud of that accomplishment.

I know that sometimes life can knock people down.  It's been doing it to me off and on for the last 15 years or so.  But there are a few quotes I like to keep reciting to myself, and they are my motivation to attempt what others would consider the impossible.  And I will share them with you, right here:

"The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary." - Vince Lombardi
"Never give up, never surrender" - Tim Allen (GalaxyQuest)
"You can't make an omlete without breaking a couple of eggs" - Jack Nicholson (Batman)
“Take the attitude of a student, never be too big to ask questions, never know too much to learn something new.” - Unknown

And, my personal favorite:

"Never be afraid to shoot for the moon, because if you miss, at least you will end up among the stars." - Unknown

Good luck to you, my friend.  I hope you end up mastering your destiny.

Rev

:cdnsalute:  :yellow:

Back