• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

OFFICIAL MEN'S OLYMPIC HOCKEY THREAD

Using the old cliche being hard to get pumped for a game Vs Latvia, their goaltender as dehydrated as he was, was in top form and held them in this game. The US will be a hard fought game of players whom play alike. Hope it doesn't turn into a TJ Oshie shootout thriller but either way it will be a close game hopefully.
With Tavares out, it hurts but one player doesn't make the team and maybe Crosby can get into full game mode. I'd like to see Jamie Benn open 'er up. Looking forward to it.
GO  :cdn: GO.!!

Off that point, the goaltending this year has been absolutely phenomenal, both men's and women's hockey.

2ndChoiceName said:
I gotta say, I'm nervous going into the semis against USA. Kessel and JvR have been lighting it up and we've been struggling to score. First Finland now Latvia?

I do not belive you are giving Finland the credit they deserve. They won Bronze in Vancouver and Silver in Turin. I understand the feeling about Latvia but they played a great game and their goalie played amazing. I do not believe that either of these games are cause for alarm.

I do not belive you are giving Finland the credit they deserve.

I totally respect Finland as a great hockey team, with incredible goaltending depth, but Latvia's goalie is an AHL goalie and most of their skaters aren't even in the AHL, against Canada, which has a team made up of all top tier NHLers, it's a little concerning.

Tavares is out for the rest of the NHL season with a torn MCL. Yet to decide on surgery. Islanders will miss him

lestock said:
Tavares is out for the rest of the NHL season with a torn MCL. Yet to decide on surgery. Islanders will miss him

Looked like an accident too, but the guy hit him kneecap to side of the knee. Not much protection there, so his MCL probably just popped. Shame to see such a talented player out for the season. Boy do I know how much knee injuries suck.

Haha James Duthie, what a guy!
"I have a prediction: it will be Scandinavia vs North America for Gold." :rofl: This guy should get a raise!

Congrat's to Canada's Women's Hockey team winning gold :'(
US women had to settle for first losers. :-\

Got to admit, I don't have a great feeling about today's game, the US are pretty damn strong.

PuckChaser said:
Looked like an accident too, but the guy hit him kneecap to side of the knee. Not much protection there, so his MCL probably just popped. Shame to see such a talented player out for the season. Boy do I know how much knee injuries suck.

This sort of thing is the ammunition that NHL owners will use to stop sending their players over for the Olympics.

Crantor said:
This sort of thing is the ammunition that NHL owners will use to stop sending their players over for the Olympics.

This was my first thought upon hearing this, especially with a franchise player such as Tavares.

I don't know if you guys have already heard, but the GM of the Islanders already issued a statement condemning the IIHF and Olympic committee for exactly that. I believe he said something about how the IIHF should be reimbursing the Islanders season tickets holders.

2ndChoiceName said:
I don't know if you guys have already heard, but the GM of the Islanders already issued a statement condemning the IIHF and Olympic committee for exactly that. I believe he said something about how the IIHF should be reimbursing the Islanders season tickets holders.

That's just plain effin' stupid.  What if all the professional soccer and rugby players stopped competing in their respective World Cups based on this idea?  Nobody holds a gun to the players heads to put on their nation's shirt, perhaps the players should be the ones to reimburse the fans.  Both ideas are equally stupid.

I don't think he was seriously thinking that they should reimburse season ticket holders.  it was just something he said out of frustration.

Owners and teams lose revenue during the olympics and pay millions for their players who, if they come back injured, are useless to them.

While I want to see my country's best players compete, I understand why owners and the NHL would want to forbid their players to go over.  The players want to go, but the owners aren't so keen.  I'm willing to bet that Bettman will cave to owner pressure.

Just a suggestion, but maybe the Olympics needs true amateurs....those who have never signed a pro contract.
I never have.... ;)

Florida Panthers sent only x2 players, Barkov and Kopecky, and both of them are bunged up. Zuccarello from the Rangers and Zetterberg from Detroit (granted, he started the Olympics hurt), probably will not start back in their NHL homes after the break
All these injuries gives ammo to owners who are against Olympic participation.
Thankfully, memories are short, and 2018 South Korea is a long way off.

Cheers

We MUST win this game!

Bg7rWeJCAAAjdRt.jpg

:nod:

Quick update - 1-0 for the Canadians after 2 periods of play.

Holy shit, that was a pinchy game!!

For a 1-0 game the guys played pretty relaxed, never panicked and did what they had to do.

Back