• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Officers and Swagger Sticks

Michael O'Leary said:
No different than the expected responsibility in place with pace sticks.
Heh... yeah BUT, Sr NCO with a pace stick has what.... 10+ years under the belt while the young officer has what.... 1, 2 or 3

geo said:
Heh... yeah BUT, Sr NCO with a pace stick has what.... 10+ years under the belt while the young officer has what.... 1, 2 or 3

So?

geo said:

???

the 48th regulator said:
Cant wait to see the traditional battle days being taken away, due to the prohibition that has infected the military.  Why do we bother recognizing Paarderberg day, frig, that is over a hundred years ago..Pacino day?  pfft, bad sgetti and wine that gives me a hang over for a month...Loose 'em!

Or that goofy game that the boys play out west, zoomafloom, or whatever it is called, as it may hurt someone.

In fact, why not get rid of regimental colours?  When was the last time we rallied to them in combat? Did we do it in the Sandbox?  I mean, were they actually flown while the bullets were blazing?

Yep, let's get rid of it all, as it makes no practical sense in our super refined Batttlestar gallactica military.  We know better now.

::)

dileas

tess

OK Tess

Just for you, I'll go down into the basement and dig through an old trunk and dig out my old Battle Dress.  I hope you don't mind me sending it to you for you to reminise of the old days.  I also hope that you won't mind wearing a Royal Blue Beret and flashes for 64 Fd Bty, 10 Fd Regt RCA.  Have fun at your next Bollywood reenactment.    >:D

Anyway......

Is there any reason to not lock this thread up?

Army.ca Staff

Harris said:
IMO the changing of an Officer from a leader to a manager.

Sadly there is some truth to that, though my sence is that we are starting to lean back towards leadership again.

Michael O'Leary said:
Which is exactly the rules in place when the officers of 2RCR carried ashplant walking sticks in the mid-1980s. (I still have mine.)

No different than the expected responsibility in place with pace sticks.

I still have mine, as well.  There was at least one occasion, however, where it was carried outside 2 RCR lines (perhaps with an attendant bending of the rules).

In the spring of 1985, I reported to the RCR Battle School as an augmentee course officer and had brought my ash plant.  The RSM gently asked me, "What the f*&k, sir, is that?".  I guess I made it to the Adjt's office just before Mr. Riley got to the CO, and was authorized to carry it.

TAR
Policies kayboshing the use of Canes & Sticks outside unit lines came out sometime around 1998-1999 so technicaly, in 1985, you shoulda been good to go... if your unit CO gave you an Okie dokie

Quote from: N. McKay on February 15, 2009, 17:49:42

What, in particular happened in the '80s surrounding officership?

IMO the changing of an Officer from a leader to a manager.

ltmaverick25 said:
Sadly there is some truth to that, though my sence is that we are starting to lean back towards leadership again.
concurrent, perhaps, but totally unrelated.

do you measure effectiveness and leadership by the fashion sense of the leader?

cheers,
Frank

O...k... this is JUST ME... but!

I'd like to see the return of Patrols for all Branches in the Land Element, for anyone who doesn't have a Regimental Dress.

While we're at it... yes I don't mind the return of the Sam Brown either, and the Forage Cap. But that's it. Nothing more.

The reasoning for the Patrols is that it looks sharp. It's different, and it serves as a gap between DEUs and Mess Dress. Yes! I know that Patrol were meant as a Walking out dress for the officers after duty hours, but I think they can be well used for PR purposes too. Our green DEUs just... well... it's not the same.

And.... yes if I was allowed to wear one I would buy one and upkeep it with my own funds. All I need is the permission.

The Navy Whites in the Summer times gets quite the attention from the public... in a positive way.

As one who carried one for several years, I do not miss the swagger stick one little bit. It was a silly affectation and a relic of Victorian fashion that was difficult to handle properly and too easy to misplace.

The following is an extract from the Officers' Dress chapter of Standing Orders for The Royal Regiment of Canadian Artillery 1963: (The copyright is shown as belonging to the Director of Artillery 1963, but my copy was signed by the Colonel Commandant on 7 December 1962 during his visit to 1 RCHA. I was his ADC for the visit.)

STICKS

346. The approved swagger stick for officers is the Woolwich pattern, brown leather covered, approximately 24 inches long by 3/4 of an inch in diameter.

347. Sticks are not carried when:

a. On regimental parade with troops.

b. Wearing full dress or numbers 1, 2 or 3 orders of dress.

c. On training exercises.

d. On active service.

As for patrols, give your head a shake.

MedTech said:
O...k... this is JUST ME... but!

I'd like to see the return of Patrols for all Branches in the Land Element, for anyone who doesn't have a Regimental Dress.

While we're at it... yes I don't mind the return of the Sam Brown either, and the Forage Cap. But that's it. Nothing more.

The reasoning for the Patrols is that it looks sharp. It's different, and it serves as a gap between DEUs and Mess Dress. Yes! I know that Patrol were meant as a Walking out dress for the officers after duty hours, but I think they can be well used for PR purposes too. Our green DEUs just... well... it's not the same.

And.... yes if I was allowed to wear one I would buy one and upkeep it with my own funds. All I need is the permission.

The Navy Whites in the Summer times gets quite the attention from the public... in a positive way.

So, would these patrols of yours be issued, or out of pocket?

Mess dress is expensive enough and I think people have enough uniforms hanging in their closets already. And besides, what 'gap' would it be filling. DEU's are dress of the day if it's not workdress or civvies and mess dress fills that little 'fancy' niche for officers quite well. What on earth would you wear patrols for?

I sure as heck don't want to pay out of pocket for another uniform (considering I have to buy my own boots, socks, mess dress, gloves, underwear, flashlights etc etc and I'm not even posted to a unit yet). From a purely financial point of view, no way. I (and the CF) have better things to spend money on. 

OK we are willing to let you have the patrols issued out of pocket but we need to take something from the dress regs that is equally silly.
So no more handlebar moustaches!  ;D

As I said it was just me. You spending $ to get your own boots etc is your own chosing, the CF issues you those things except Mess Dress, and again... Your own chosing to have them.

I never said that the CF would be paying for it, it'll be out of your own pocket if you want a set. Just like Mess Dress. Again, just me. Not to mention someone brought the crazy idea of swagger stick re-introduction, I just thought that I'd throw something just as crazy back in there so  :p

MedTech said:
As I said it was just me. You spending $ to get your own boots etc is your own chosing, the CF issues you those things except Mess Dress, and again... Your own chosing to have them.

I never said that the CF would be paying for it, it'll be out of your own pocket if you want a set. Just like Mess Dress. Again, just me. Not to mention someone brought the crazy idea of swagger stick re-introduction, I just thought that I'd throw something just as crazy back in there so  :p

I buy boots because the CF has failed to get me what I need...I know, story of everyone's life in the CF.  ;)

I was just curious, because Mess Dress is a must-have for officers and you are forced to shell out for it. We can't really have a 'if you want to wear it' kind of dress/ceremonial uniform...IMHO.

Piper said:
We can't really have a 'if you want to wear it' kind of dress/ceremonial uniform...IMHO.

If we did that we'd be competing with the Legion of Frontiersmen who nicely fill that niche in the Empire.

Old Sweat said:
STICKS

346. The approved swagger stick for officers is the Woolwich pattern, brown leather covered, approximately 24 inches long by 3/4 of an inch in diameter.

347. Sticks are not carried when:

a. On regimental parade with troops.

b. Wearing full dress or numbers 1, 2 or 3 orders of dress.

c. On training exercises.

d. On active service.

Note that all members of the Regular Force have been placed on active service when in Canada or abroad, so if this still stands, sticks are never to be carried by the Reg F, only by Reservists in Canada who are not on active service (as the same OIC placed all Reservists on active service when overseas).

Michael O'Leary said:
If we did that we'd be competing with the Legion of Frontiersmen who nicely fill that niche in the Empire.

Those are the invent-a-medal guys, correct?

Back