• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Officer Pay Confusion, please clarify

PPCLI Guy said:
I will try to be delicate............which is, admittedly, not my long suit.

Someone delved into their Scotch I see.

Right huxley, I have cut and pasted a few of your choice quotes so that I can respond in kind to each. I may sound a little harsh in this, but it's beginning to seem like you have a very chippy attitude that you may wish to reconsider if you want any help or advice from this forum;

I know it's not all about the money but if I can make 40k a year in Customs then why would I consider Military Service?

Let's see, whilst I'm sure customs has it's fair share of excitement (''how many cigarettes do you have sir''), as a customs officer would you ever have the chance to experience:

-the absolute rush of a well executed live fire company attack;
-the pure childish fun of ranges, be it when you're firing a 25mm cannon or using plastic explosive to blow things up;
-the camaraderie and brotherhood born of all the good times, but also born of all the hard times;
-the knowledge that 99.9% of the population do not have the cojones to do what you do, and are for the most part jealous of you.

I don't understand why you would need to wait 5 years until your paid more than 42k, I thought your pay was based on rank! Im not a greedy person it's just I feel at least 50k should be a starting range for officer since the military is a big commitment

And you are basing this opinion on what? I went to war for under 50k, and this was in the british army where we didn't get 1/16th of the bonuses the canadians got for being on tour. As everyone else has said, IT'S NOT ABOUT THE MONEY!!!!!

It's not, It's just waiting for 4 years until your paid more...NCM's do it to seems like a drag to me when I can make that much in Customs. 

Should you earn your commission, I can guarantee you that the first 4 years will be far from a drag. And most likely less of a drag than confiscating excess duty free on some border crossing....

Im just the type of guy who takes long to make the big decisions in life. Im just unsure of what I really want to do. Im attracted to the military because they do pay for all your education but Im just worried they won't give me extra time on tests because I need it sometimes.

Well where to start with this one!! First of all the training system is very accommodating. The mantra nowadays is 'train in, not select out' and I have seen many people, some of whom are borderline illiterate, pass through training with the help of dedicated NCO's and then become good soldiers. HOWEVER, bear in mind that as a young officer, particularly if you decide upon the combat arms, you will not always be able to ask for extra time. In a contact, your 'errr, I need a bit more time' will get people killed. Simple. Also, you have only said you are attracted to the military because they pay for your education. Is that it? Is that all that concerns you? Particularly when your parents are paying half anyways?

In closing, if 50k p.a. is your main criteria for a career choice, then by all means, join customs. Or Wal-Mart. Leave soldiering to the professionals.

OK,

Let me put it this way - and I really don't mean to come across as bragging either.  I make low 6 figures now but I would trade it all in a heartbeat to have the "priviledge" of joining the CF (as a Pilot mind you).  Yes, start pay is never a lot BUT the CF is investing hundreds of thousands of dollars in YOUR training (and Millions for Pilot).  Customs doesn't even come close to the life experience of the CF. 

Let me put it another way - If your life story was made into a book, would you want people to pick it up and read with amazement and a little envy, or would you want them to look at the cover and put it down.  That is the difference between the CF and Customs...

Money isn't as important as career fulfillment - I've learned that the hard way.

J

MJP said:
Someone delved into their Scotch I see.

Main Entry: long suit
Function: noun
Date: circa 1876
1 : a holding of more than the average number of cards in a suit
2 : strong suit, forte

a lot of well said posts here.

I myself had a young soldier that could barely read Dick and Jane books on a course I instructed.  When it came time for his test I took him to a seperate room and read the questions to him. Why was this done?  Because he was great at his trade - infantry.

I am usually the first to say dollars are important BUT it should not be your only or main motivator - as others have said this will only make your life miserable.  It will also make everyone under you miserable as they now have an unmotivated leader.

Please do me a favour - join the reserves and not the reg f to see if it really is the life for you. Take summer taskings of 2 months or more to get a good taste.  Note I said taskings not courses as a course will not give you the real taste of daily military life. If possible get at least one task with a reg f unit.

To be honest at this moment I would rather you go away and become the customs officer as I really do not want you as a leader in the military. On second thought forget the customs - go get a suit job on civvy street - I'd rather you not be in any uniform representing Canada.

First of all, If I wish to join the military I will. I am aware it's not all about the money but I have sort of struggled in my education in life since I dropped out of private school and I was the delinquent undisciplined type in High School. Now I am 19 and done High school and will probably be going to night school to raise my marks taking some more U courses. I will join the reserves if I please, you have no authority to tell me otherwise. I have no criminal record and am a law abiding system. This is only the internet and you don't know me.

I think this one has run its' course. Huxley senses the mood of the board; we've answered his questions, more or less.

If anyone has anything constructive to add, do so. Any more jabbing in either direction, and it will be locked.

Thanks.

Army.ca Staff

I think we are all a little "passionate" about our position here.  Huxley - feel free to join any organization you want.  The CF system is designed to filter those who do not want to be there so you'll know quickly enough if it is right for you.  Just realize that the pursuit of money is a fool's game (and I continue to play the game) and it's a soul destroying experience.  My best years were when I served in the CF and back then I made very little money but was happy.  I'm trying to get back in BTW.

Please don't take the comments personally.  We don't know you and you don't know us, as you have mentioned, BUT serving/former member of the CF have earned the right (paid in blood, sweat and many tears) to challenge anyone who's motives are not in line with the vast majority of the CF.

J

Huxley, you keep saying that money is not everything, yet you keep on complaining about how little you would be making with all the education you are going to get.  Your posts seem like the career you choose is based solely on money and money only.  It seems like you are in denial.  You can not even admit the fact that money is everything to you.  I am not yet in the military, but I am going through an application process through DEO program.  I could easily make more than what I would be getting paid.  During an interview, I never once asked how much I would be making because I really do not care as long as I make enough to live a half decent life.  I suggest if you want to make good money, you should get a degree in petroleum engineering and go out to an oilfield.  You would make a killing there.  You can easily make 6 figure without a few years if you are any good.  As for the extra time you need to make big decision, I have nothing against that, however, I do not think being an officer (depend on what trade you going into) is best suited for you.  For instance, if you become an infantry officer, lives of many CF members will be depended on you.  You will have to make a quick and reasonable decision without seconds.  It is not basketball.  You can not call a timeout...  Military may not be the best career choice for you.  However, that being said, it is entirely up to you and is your decision whether you would apply for the military or not.

Huxley88 said:
First of all, If I wish to join the military I will. I am aware it's not all about the money but I have sort of struggled in my education in life since I dropped out of private school and I was the delinquent undisciplined type in High School. Now I am 19 and done High school and will probably be going to night school to raise my marks taking some more U courses. I will join the reserves if I please, you have no authority to tell me otherwise. I have no criminal record and am a law abiding system. This is only the internet and you don't know me.

Except that if you act like a douche bag on here the people you're speaking too may just very well be instructing on your course.

Drop the attitude tiger.
You had a  question.
You asked your question.
Your delievery was poopy. 
It happens.

Will you get paid more as a civie?  Probably.
Why join the military instead then? Ask 100 people and you will get 100 different answers. If you want then find out for yourself. If not then don't.

Is this thread not run out of steam? Question was asked, re asked, revised, whined about, answered repeatedly.....

Sorry if I caused a bit of a disturbance. I will probably join reserves first while I complete some education....Im just not good with the "big decisions" in life thats why Im indecisive right now.

This appears to have run its course, so unless anybody has anything useful to add, drop it now please.

There are varying types of indecision and, Huxley, I can appreciate your doubts as to whether or not this is something that you want to do.

By all means, try some time as a reservist and get a taste. There is no commitment there.

The regular force may or may not be for you, and the same is true of the reserve force. There is nothing wrong with you if they aren't.

Any other questions?

I'm surprised this hasn't been posted yet, so I'll add it.

"Where Have All The Tigers Gone?"
http://www.dnd.ca/admmat/logbranch/Bulletin/Vol1Iss2_8_e.htm

That is all.

Back