• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Officer occupations – Which one should I choose?

mark1993 said:
I have been trying to get into the reserves for a while now. I had to get a visual acuity test for my eyes and I submitted the results to the local recruiting centre. I successfully completed all the other testing. When I called them to ask for the results they told me they didn't know the results and that the application was in Ottawa and I will hear back in a month. Right now, it has been well over a month since then and I still haven't head anything. Does anyone know how I will be contacted when they contact me with the results? And what should I do if I still do not hear back from them?

As this is a Medical issue, it has to be sent for additional review.  In the mean time, I would suggest that you just maintain contact with your local CFRC every 2-3 weeks and ask if there is any update.  It sounds like there is nothing more that you can do at this point in time.

Just a quick question regarding my application. I am a female and I applied about a month ago, and have since completed my apititude test; and currently scheduled to do my medical on the 13th of August. I have applied as a medical technician, and unfortunetaly the trade has recently closed. Gathering I'm still in the application process (my file is at the reliability screening) and there are currently no openings, will my file be closed until a further date? Or will my file keep getting processed. As per my recruiter, he thinks I have a 98% chance of getting into this trade, but the trade has since closed?

mark1993 said:
I have been trying to get into the reserves for a while now. I had to get a visual acuity test for my eyes and I submitted the results to the local recruiting centre. I successfully completed all the other testing. When I called them to ask for the results they told me they didn't know the results and that the application was in Ottawa and I will hear back in a month. Right now, it has been well over a month since then and I still haven't head anything. Does anyone know how I will be contacted when they contact me with the results? And what should I do if I still do not hear back from them?

only the medical technician at your CFRC can see your medical file. they sometimes accept to tell you where it is in ottawa and if there is an issue with it, sometimes they just tell you to wait...

rebeccag19 said:
Just a quick question regarding my application. I am a female and I applied about a month ago, and have since completed my apititude test; and currently scheduled to do my medical on the 13th of August. I have applied as a medical technician, and unfortunetaly the trade has recently closed. Gathering I'm still in the application process (my file is at the reliability screening) and there are currently no openings, will my file be closed until a further date? Or will my file keep getting processed. As per my recruiter, he thinks I have a 98% chance of getting into this trade, but the trade has since closed?

I'm not sure, but a friend of mine (captain) told me when they "close" a trade, it means they do not accept any more application, but those who have a foot in the door can process and still get the trade. If they really closed your trade from any other enrolment, a MCC may offer you other trade they think you could like.

rebeccag19 said:

Technically, if Med Tech is your only choice and the trade is closed, then they shouldn't be processing you.  Hence, 2nd and 3rd choices, now if one of those just happens to be OPEN, then the process continues on and Med Tech remains as your #1.

Nevertheless, it is entirely up to your RC as to just what they want to do with your file.

Cyrius007 said:
I'm not sure, but a friend of mine (captain) told me when they "close" a trade, it means they do not accept any more application, but those who have a foot in the door can process and still get the trade. If they really closed your trade from any other enrolment, a MCC may offer you other trade they think you could like.

I think you are correct about this. I've also been told, at least for the reserves, that after 2-3 applicants for a trade made their application, they "close" it or won't accept anymore applicants (don't forget it's works by reserve units).
I know, for example, that today, after I gave in all my paperwork/official documents, that the logistic officer trade will most likely be closed at the 35th BNS Canada, since I'm the second applicant. Recruiters usually tell people not to apply for a trade once they have 2-3 applicants or that they should try for another available trade rather than the one with 2-3 applications in process. Or at least that's what some people told me at the recruiting center in Quebec City.

Cyrius007 said:

Thanks for your input. Apparently the recruiter said that I may be on a "top up" list for the trade, although he couldn't say for sure. Seems weird that I would be on a top up list if I still have to complete my medical and do an interview. Nevertheless, I hope I can get in this round, otherwise I will have to be patient for the next round of selections. Apparently being a female gives me double priority. Regardless, I will have to speak to the recruiter who is dealing with my file when he gets back from vacation..

Anxiously waiting for my dream to come true. Thanks again! I really appreciate it :)

DAA said:
As this is a Medical issue, it has to be sent for additional review.  In the mean time, I would suggest that you just maintain contact with your local CFRC every 2-3 weeks and ask if there is any update.  It sounds like there is nothing more that you can do at this point in time.

Thanks! I just found out that I am deemed fit for my trade. They told me now they are going to start the background checks. Do you know how long the background checks will take given that I am a Canadian who was born and raised in the country? Thanks!

rebeccag19 said:
Thanks for your input. Apparently the recruiter said that I may be on a "top up" list for the trade, although he couldn't say for sure. Seems weird that I would be on a top up list if I still have to complete my medical and do an interview. Nevertheless, I hope I can get in this round, otherwise I will have to be patient for the next round of selections. Apparently being a female gives me double priority. Regardless, I will have to speak to the recruiter who is dealing with my file when he gets back from vacation..

Anxiously waiting for my dream to come true. Thanks again! I really appreciate it :)

Was it for the regular or the reserves?

In the reserves, it usually means that according to the informations you filled in your application and from the answers you say in answer to the recruiter's questions, you accumulate a good score. I guess if the score is high, it means you are a really good potential applicant for the trade you like. It also seems that the earlier you hand in your paperwork, then you get somewhat of a priority over other applicants who hand in theirs after yours, but I also think your score has something to do with it.

They usually cumulate scores throughout the process, with the CFAT, Medical test, interview, etc. The higher your score is, then the higher are your chances of getting a job offered. :) They will put applicants in score order. So that the ones with the highest get the jobs.

Hope this helps! Don't take what I say for granted, as I'm about at the same step as you are in your application (though I sent mine for the reserves), but this is what I understood so far from the explanations I got.

mark1993 said:
Do you know how long the background checks will take given that I am a Canadian who was born and raised in the country?

Some discussion and answers here.

The Security Check/ Level Superthread- Check Here First
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/12875.0

l.viita said:
Was it for the regular or the reserves?

In the reserves, it usually means that according to the informations you filled in your application and from the answers you say in answer to the recruiter's questions, you accumulate a good score. I guess if the score is high, it means you are a really good potential applicant for the trade you like. It also seems that the earlier you hand in your paperwork, then you get somewhat of a priority over other applicants who hand in theirs after yours, but I also think your score has something to do with it.

They usually cumulate scores throughout the process, with the CFAT, Medical test, interview, etc. The higher your score is, then the higher are your chances of getting a job offered. :) They will put applicants in score order. So that the ones with the highest get the jobs.

Hope this helps! Don't take what I say for granted, as I'm about at the same step as you are in your application (though I sent mine for the reserves), but this is what I understood so far from the explanations I got.

I've applied for the regular forces. The only thing I'm waiting to complete is my medical, which is scheduled on the 13th, and an interview. The recruiter did say I have a good score. I'm rated the highest 5 out of 5. But like you said, I guess the forces will have to take my interview and medical scores into account as well. Anyways, I will definitely ask my recruiter and pass on the information if you are at all curious, considering you are at the same stage as myself.

Take care!

mark1993 said:
Do you know how long the background checks will take given that I am a Canadian who was born and raised in the country? Thanks!

If you were born in Canada think it shouldn't take more than 1.5 months as for me I was born and raised in another country (but not holding dual citizenship) & I have immediate family members who live outside Canada & the check took around 1.5 months.

rebeccag19 said:
I've applied for the regular forces. The only thing I'm waiting to complete is my medical, which is scheduled on the 13th, and an interview. The recruiter did say I have a good score. I'm rated the highest 5 out of 5. But like you said, I guess the forces will have to take my interview and medical scores into account as well. Anyways, I will definitely ask my recruiter and pass on the information if you are at all curious, considering you are at the same stage as myself.

Take care!

That would be awesome!

Dear fellow Canadians,

I just registered in the forums, having applied to the Canadian army I think its a good idea to get to know of the current affairs in the military.

I have a question regarding my current recruiting status to start with.
I have applied as a logistics officer in 2012 summer, and as I have not lived in Canada for the last 10 years, my security clearance process has been taking a while (almost a year now).
Finally I had a security pre-assesment interview recently which I believe is supposed to be the last step of security clearance? The recruiter said that he will write the report in a week.

What I am wondering is if I am close to completing my security clearance if I just had the security interview?
Also when is the selection (and hiring decisions) made for CF this year and do I have a chance of making it in this year?

Any info greatly appreciates folks !!!

Van Gogh said:
Dear fellow Canadians,

I just registered in the forums, having applied to the Canadian army I think its a good idea to get to know of the current affairs in the military.

I have a question regarding my current recruiting status to start with.
I have applied as a logistics officer in 2012 summer, and as I have not lived in Canada for the last 10 years, my security clearance process has been taking a while (almost a year now).
Finally I had a security pre-assesment interview recently which I believe is supposed to be the last step of security clearance? The recruiter said that he will write the report in a week.

What I am wondering is if I am close to completing my security clearance if I just had the security interview?
Also when is the selection (and hiring decisions) made for CF this year and do I have a chance of making it in this year?

Any info greatly appreciates folks !!!
selection for DEO LOG can be in November 2013.
So you will need to pass CFAT,medical, interview and be merit listed before November 2013.

secondchance said:
selection for DEO LOG can be in November 2013.
So you will need to pass CFAT,medical, interview and be merit listed before November 2013.

I have passed Canadian Forced Aptitude Test Last year long time ago.
Is it possible to do all these steps before November?
Also when is the next selection?

Van Gogh said:
I have passed Canadian Forced Aptitude Test Last year long time ago.
Is it possible to do all these steps before November?
Also when is the next selection?
So you will need medical and interview.Nobody knows if it possible to do all these steps before November.It will depend on your personal case and plus your local CFRC. Next selection is November 2013.What is after that I don't know,sorry.Try to contact your local CFRC to clarify your file.Good luck!!!

secondchance said:
So you will need medical and interview.Nobody knows if it possible to do all these steps before November.It will depend on your personal case and plus your local CFRC. Next selection is November 2013.What is after that I don't know,sorry.Try to contact your local CFRC to clarify your file.Good luck!!!

Thanks for the good luck !!! :nod:
Yeah I contacted my local recruiting branch and they just told me when they receive security clearance interview results they will book me for other appointments.
Its a good thing though if it actually depends on my personal case and their approach to recruiting is individualistic to some extent because I believe I have a lot to offer them skills/qualifications wise !!!

BTW when you say selection do you mean that they make hiring decisions by November and let us know? Or making selection means something else?

Hey Van Gogh,

After my pre-security interview they sent my file to Ottawa. After 6 weeks or so it came back and then they scheduled me for a medical and interview. I am also applying for logistics officer and they mentioned that there are very few spots for the November selection. My file manager told me that they would make a decision based on who are the most qualified candidates for the few spots.

Hope that helps.

Schopenhauer said:
Hey Van Gogh,

After my pre-security interview they sent my file to Ottawa. After 6 weeks or so it came back and then they scheduled me for a medical and interview. I am also applying for logistics officer and they mentioned that there are very few spots for the November selection. My file manager told me that they would make a decision based on who are the most qualified candidates for the few spots.

Hope that helps.

Hey Man,

Maybe we end up serving together  ;D
Thanks for heads up, very kind of you.
You said only a few spots? Maybe they meant locally? because another recruiter told me they will be hiring quiet a few logis this year (26 or so).

So 6 weeks? Not too bad. When did they shedule the interview and medical though? Was it in like far future from your security interview or earlier? I just wonder if I may be done with all the steps before November thats why.

Back