• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Officer occupations – Which one should I choose?

Why?
This is not a military website.
Many recruiters don't know this address. 😎

kratz said:
Many recruiters don't know this address. 😎
Nope, I don't know of ANY recruiters that know about this site  :rofl:

ConsideringCareers… said:
I just had a question, when comparing these two officer jobs, which one leads troops longer? I mean like which one is in the field leading their soldiers for a longer time (on average, individual experiences will obviously vary) before their job becomes all paperwork (by all I mean mostly, obviously on Exs and Ops you will be in the field even if it is in a FOB)?

Typically Officers give commands to the Senior NCO's who then "lead the troops".  As to figuring out when they become administrative in nature; it really depends on what job they've been posted to do.  If an Infantry Officer is posting to a Field going unit they'll be in the field more than if they're posted to NDHQ or Recruiting for example.  Same with Artillery, it depends on the posting. If you're adverse to paperwork, I'll be honest - Officers do a lot of paperwork in the career.

Buck_HRA said:
Typically Officers give commands to the Senior NCO's who then "lead the troops".  . . .

You are a unique resource to these forums and provide valuable information to those with recruiting questions, sometimes correcting the errors of seasoned current and former serving members whose experience did not include recruiting.  A well done on that.  However, you can be just as daft as the type awaiting enrolment who provides military advice and judgements based on their one or two visits to a recruiting centre.  This is one of those times.

Now, I no longer lead or command anyone, but I have been a section commander, platoon commander, company commander and commanding officer in regular field force and reserve units.  I've also had other leadership, staff, administrative and training roles (as both officer and NCO) in other types of units.  So I'm reasonably confident that I am within my lanes when I disagree with your comment (or at least the impression your wording leaves).

Restricting it to the situation in field force units (the general interest of the original questioner), OFFICERS LEAD TROOPS (yes, the shouting is deliberate), if they didn't, they're useless and have no reason to exist.  As to the chain of command, the basic line of passage of orders is from CO to OCs to Pl Comds to Sect Comds; RSMs, CSMs, and Pl WOs are very important elements in the smooth functioning of a unit but they are advisors (and 2ic at the lowest level) to the commanders they support not another level of command.  As a Pl Comd, I would give my orders direct to the Sgts/MCpls who commanded my sections, as an OC orders went direct to PL Comds (whether an officer or NCO - one of the oddities back in the day of peacetime manning in medical field units, especially in Germany, was that platoons were often commanded by Sgts).  Yes there are times when the "Senior Enlisted Advisor" (to borrow an American term) is instructed to make things happen and often they are responsible for aspects of the day to day running of a pl/coy/unit but that does not abrogate responsibility of officers to lead nor does it convey command responsibility to the said NCOs/WOs such as is suggested by your comment.

[quote author=Blackadder1916]  However, you can be just as daft as the type awaiting enrolment who provides military advice and judgements based on their one or two visits to a recruiting centre.  This is one of those times.[/QUOTE]

Harsh.

I think you missed the part where I said "Officers give commands to the Sr NCO's"  - where in that does it lead one to believe that a WO or Sgt has command responsbility?

While officers are behind the scenes making decisions, which is in turn leading troops; I took the statement as a physically leading the troops.
Orders are given down by the chain of command and more often than not it's the Sr NCO's out in front of the troops making sure that the vision of the officers is completed. 
I have yet to see a Maj or LCol checking to see every tick in the box is completed on an ops plan, it's delegated.

Even on the recruiting course it's taught to explain the CAF like a Hockey team. 
Your junior NCM's are like the players of the team. 
The Senior NCO's are like the coaches/trainers of the team.
The Officers are like the Owners of the team.

The owners decide where they want the team to go; the trainers/coaches take that vision and put it into action and get the players ready to make the vision a reality - and the players do their best to complete the vision.

The reality is the Owners don't deal with the Players directly very often; just like in the CAF you don't see Major's & LCol's dealing with Pte's/Cpl's very often...
So again I stand by my statement that rarely are the officers "leading the troops" (in a direct physical contact nature).

Buck_HRA said:
I think you missed the part where I said "Officers give commands to the Sr NCO's"  - where in that does it lead one to believe that a WO or Sgt has command responsbility?

While officers are behind the scenes making decisions, which is in turn leading troops; I took the statement as a physically leading the troops.
Orders are given down by the chain of command and more often than not it's the Sr NCO's out in front of the troops making sure that the vision of the officers is completed. 
I have yet to see a Maj or LCol checking to see every tick in the box is completed on an ops plan, it's delegated.

Even on the recruiting course it's taught to explain the CAF like a Hockey team. 
Your junior NCM's are like the players of the team. 
The Senior NCO's are like the coaches/trainers of the team.
The Officers are like the Owners of the team.

The owners decide where they want the team to go; the trainers/coaches take that vision and put it into action and get the players ready to make the vision a reality - and the players do their best to complete the vision.

The reality is the Owners don't deal with the Players directly very often; just like in the CAF you don't see Major's & LCol's dealing with Pte's/Cpl's very often...
So again I stand by my statement that rarely are the officers "leading the troops" (in a direct physical contact nature).

This is in stark contrast to the Navy, where the Officer are very much directly directing the "troops", and I mean literally them out by name (position name, not actual name, we don't allow sailors to have those) and giving them very specific directions in a combat situation.

"ARRO, SWC, draw a line on the screen, north south from BB. Break, FCS, SWC, maintain optical tracking of 2517. If he crosses that line, paint him."

Hello everyone,
Joining the military has always been a thought at the back of my head since I was in high school. It peaked my interest again while I was attending Seneca college and met several members there under the pilot program. That was about 3 years ago, since then I have received my international business advanced diploma, and I'm currently enrolled at Ryerson university for global management which I have a year and a half left to complete before I receive my degree. My focus has majority been in the business sector and eventually finding a job that pays really well. But I have this thought in my head that feels like if I don't join the military it's something I'm going to regret in the future when it's too late to join. Does it make sense for me to finish my degree and then apply? I will be 24 at that time. Or do I have an option of taking the classes needed at Ryerson part time while going through the recruitment process during my last year of school? And I know I've seen posts on here that say it's common for guys in their 30's to join, but is the same regard held for females?  Like as a 24 year old woman would I be considered too old? And does anyone have any experience moving from the military to a business environment in which they recieved their education for? I just feel like im kind of backwards. Another person's perspective on this would be really helpful! :) thanks!

RukiXec said:
Hello everyone,
Joining the military has always been a thought at the back of my head since I was in high school. It peaked my interest again while I was attending Seneca college and met several members there under the pilot program. That was about 3 years ago, since then I have received my international business advanced diploma, and I'm currently enrolled at Ryerson university for global management which I have a year and a half left to complete before I receive my degree. My focus has majority been in the business sector and eventually finding a job that pays really well. But I have this thought in my head that feels like if I don't join the military it's something I'm going to regret in the future when it's too late to join. Does it make sense for me to finish my degree and then apply? I will be 24 at that time. Or do I have an option of taking the classes needed at Ryerson part time while going through the recruitment process during my last year of school? And I know I've seen posts on here that say it's common for guys in their 30's to join, but is the same regard held for females?  Like as a 24 year old woman would I be considered too old? And does anyone have any experience moving from the military to a business environment in which they recieved their education for? I just feel like im kind of backwards. Another person's perspective on this would be really helpful! :) thanks!

I'm applying for subsidized education for a Masters program and I'll be 26 when I graduate and start fulfilling my required service -- don't let your dreams be dreams.

Buck_HRA said:

Except, as required, in the Infantry, of course, right?

Or the Gunners, Artillery, Armoured Corps, and most of the Services, as well as the Air Force, Navy etc.

I know that 'cause I watch all the best war movies of course.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fz3sZiVAO0k

RukiXec said:
Like as a 24 year old woman would I be considered too old?

Both men and women are discussed here,

Am I too old to join/do well/fit in? (Merged thread)
https://army.ca/forums/threads/207.50
14 pages.

As always, Recruiting is your most trusted source of information.

At first I was recruited by the Navy as an NWO, but then my friend convinced me to transfer to the Army, he was a Sniper himself. However, my interview is in a couple days and I’m struggling to choose between Infantry Officer, Armoured Officer, and Naval Warfare Officer as they all seem so cool in their own ways. My dream is to be part of a NATO operation, and I would be elated to have a job working with NATO permenantly. Otherwise, I I’d be interested in Special Forces. I really like the idea of being on the Atlantic, shutting down traffickers and pirates. I also love the thought of commanding a group of Coyotes or Leapords. While infantry officer sounds good because it’s the real deal, as much field time as I can get. Do I have any misconceptions? Can someone please help me decide once and for all? Also, worst case scenario, how hard would it be to transfer between say an IO and an NWO down the road? Thank you so much for any replies.

liam_crunchbite said:
I’m struggling to choose between Infantry Officer, Armoured Officer, and Naval Warfare Officer as they all seem so cool in their own ways.

Can someone please help me decide once and for all?

These discussions may help you decide,

Naval Warfare Officer ( NWO )
https://www.google.com/search?rls=com.microsoft%3Aen-CA%3AIE-Address&rlz=1I7GGHP_en-GBCA592&ei=InhDXO7tHq7ajgSzhqOgAg&q=site%3Aarmy.ca++NWO+%22Naval+Warfare+Officer%22&oq=site%3Aarmy.ca++NWO+%22Naval+Warfare+Officer%22&gs_l=psy-ab.3...3329.5493..6685...0.0..0.406.635.3j4-1......0....1..gws-wiz.L3cHk_riyW0

Infantry Officer
https://www.google.com/search?rls=com.microsoft%3Aen-CA%3AIE-Address&rlz=1I7GGHP_en-GBCA592&ei=KnhDXOr5FOHojgTf06b4BQ&q=site%3Aarmy.ca++%22infantry+officer%22&oq=site%3Aarmy.ca++%22infantry+officer%22&gs_l=psy-ab.3...22435.30415..31835...0.0..1.292.3573.40j2j1......0....1..gws-wiz.Q8Oiq70OySE

Armoured Officer
https://www.google.com/search?rls=com.microsoft%3Aen-CA%3AIE-Address&rlz=1I7GGHP_en-GBCA592&ei=S3hDXMf5FarEjgS26a-AAg&q=site%3Aarmy.ca++%22Armoured+Officer%22&oq=site%3Aarmy.ca++%22Armoured+Officer%22&gs_l=psy-ab.3...27982.37746..38153...0.0..0.193.3067.28j6......0....1..gws-wiz.......0i71.kUY5VOvs6Y0

liam_crunchbite said:
, how hard would it be to transfer between say an IO and an NWO down the road?

Voluntary Occupational Transfers are discussed here,

Voluntary Occupational Transfer ( VOT )
https://army.ca/forums/threads/21109.1050
44 pages.

As always, Recruiting is your most trusted source of official, up to date, information.

"Unofficial site, not associated with DND or the Canadian Armed Forces."

I have spent a year of my recent life deployed in a NATO Task Group. While I am better for the professional experience, there is not really any significant overlap between NATO's AOR and the piracy hotspots of the world's oceans.

All three trades you've mentioned have their ups, downs, and opportunities for employment within NATO. I would suggest doing some searching on this forum and elsewhere on the internet, and instead pick the trade which fits best based on lifestyle compatibility between yourself and the trade.

Back