• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Officer occupations – Which one should I choose?

George Wallace said:
Yes.  The CFRC would book them there or in other cases, a YMCA; or whatever testing facility is available to that CFRC.

Sorry, should have clarified, the CFRC does not do the referral the referral and appointments of the pre-enrolment fitness testing is done through the unit to which you are applying. Mine was done in the weight room at the ASU and was booked through direct comms with the PSP coordinator.

It seems lately (can't confirm for other CFRCs) that the RCs are stepping out from the testing delivery and simply just receiving the results.

PrairieThunder said:
Sorry, should have clarified, the CFRC does not do the referral the referral and appointments of the pre-enrolment fitness testing is done through the unit to which you are applying. Mine was done in the weight room at the ASU and was booked through direct comms with the PSP coordinator.

It seems lately (can't confirm for other CFRCs) that the RCs are stepping out from the testing delivery and simply just receiving the results.

This does not make any sense at all.  Until such time that the CFRC completes their pre-enrolment documentation and passes it to the Reserve unit for completion of enrolment, that person DOES NOT belong to the Reserve Unit.  So how can the CFRG pass on the expense (cost) of selection testing/screening, in this case the Fitness Test, to a Reserve unit.  If the person fails in any of the screening process, including the Fitness Test, they will not be eligible to be enrolled.  Unless it is now a new CAF policy to enroll persons who can not meet the Universality of Service, it should still be the CFRG who is responsible for this testing and screening of applicants.

George Wallace said:
This does not make any sense at all. 

Welcome to "recruiting"!!!  You ain't seen nothing yet, this is just the tip of the iceberg floating down stream, there is much more to come.......  :)

The CFRG is mandated with Recruiting and the selection process.  If they don't want to do it, I know a Trade that could use all those PY and up their manning establishments.

George Wallace said:
The CFRG is mandated with Recruiting and the selection process.  If they don't want to do it, I know a Trade that could use all those PY and up their manning establishments.

Actually, CFRG's primary function is the recruiting of "Regular Force" personnel.  Army PRes, Nav Res and CIC/COATS slipped in there on request.  ARAF still does their own thing.

George Wallace said:
And the CFRG only deals with people off the street; not Component Transfers.

At one time, years ago, CFRG managed the whole kit and kabootal (External and Internal Intake).  Not sure when it happened but the entire CT process was transferred out of CFRG to DGMC (D Mil C 7) who now manage all the CT processing and where necessary they will direct someone to their local CFRC if needed.  Which brings up the next problem....  D Mil C 7, doesn't have enough people to process all the CT requests that they receive.

I believe there may have been discussions about pulling CT's back to within the CFRG umbrella but I don't think anything came of it.

George Wallace said:
This does not make any sense at all.  Until such time that the CFRC completes their pre-enrolment documentation and passes it to the Reserve unit for completion of enrolment, that person DOES NOT belong to the Reserve Unit.  So how can the CFRG pass on the expense (cost) of selection testing/screening, in this case the Fitness Test, to a Reserve unit.  If the person fails in any of the screening process, including the Fitness Test, they will not be eligible to be enrolled.  Unless it is now a new CAF policy to enroll persons who can not meet the Universality of Service, it should still be the CFRG who is responsible for this testing and screening of applicants.

Doesn't need to make sense, but that's what happened. After the rest of my process was complete and the final piece was the fitness results, it was actually the unit that gave me the contact info for the PSP guy and told be to book an appointment for Enrolment Fitness Test. Went and did the rest and he sent off the results to the CFRC.

At NO POINT did the CFRC have any involvement with the fitness except in the receipt and verification of results.

PrairieThunder said:
Doesn't need to make sense, but that's what happened. After the rest of my process was complete and the final piece was the fitness results, it was actually the unit that gave me the contact info for the PSP guy and told be to book an appointment for Enrolment Fitness Test. Went and did the rest and he sent off the results to the CFRC.

At NO POINT did the CFRC have any involvement with the fitness except in the receipt and verification of results.

You having done the test is of no matter one way or the other.  You did the test.  What does matter is who is paying for you to be tested.  You do not belong to that Reserve unit until your pre-enrollment documentation is done at the CFRC, and sent to them.  Only after you have been enrolled, do you belong to that Reserve unit.  So, why then does the Reserve unit, who does not own you, have to do the administration and pay to have you tested?  That is the job of the CFRC under the CFRG.

George Wallace said:
You having done the test is of no matter one way or the other.  You did the test.  What does matter is who is paying for you to be tested.  You do not belong to that Reserve unit until your pre-enrollment documentation is done at the CFRC, and sent to them.  Only after you have been enrolled, do you belong to that Reserve unit.  So, why then does the Reserve unit, who does not own you, have to do the administration and pay to have you tested?  That is the job of the CFRC under the CFRG.

How do you know that the unit paid for it? The PSP guys job is simply for that. He was mon-fri 9-4 and does nothing but fitness tests; pre-enrolment, expres, etc.

All I know is that the Recruiting NCO at the unit said the CFRC is in a mess with the new FORCE project and gave me the information to book the appointment. For all you or I know, the PSP guy probably just send the bill to the CFRC/G at the end of the month... Or maybe its already paid for?

Edit to add: don't know how this all of sudden became about cost...

PrairieThunder said:
How do you know that the unit paid for it?
How do I know?  These services are not free.  They are budgeted within DND, so a transfer of money is made. 

PrairieThunder said:
The PSP guys job is simply for that. He was mon-fri 9-4 and does nothing but fitness tests; pre-enrolment, expres, etc.

Not every location has access to a Reg Force base and PSP personnel.  Places like the YMCA are often used.  There is a fee that has to be paid.

PrairieThunder said:
All I know is that the Recruiting NCO at the unit said the CFRC is in a mess with the new FORCE project and gave me the information to book the appointment. For all you or I know, the PSP guy probably just send the bill to the CFRC/G at the end of the month... Or maybe its already paid for?

If CFRC's are washing their hands of this testing, then they are not likely to pay as well.   

What this case may boil down to is:

1.  CFRG is no longer willing to hire Class B Reservists to run their CFRCs; or

2.  Someone is too lazy to perform their administrative functions/duties.

Whatever the cause, it is looking like the system is on the way to a major breakdown.

If the unit is arranging for the fitness test could the recruiting centre be giving the reserve unit a fin code to use for any expenses? Thus no cost would come from reserve units budget. Also PrairieThunder said that the reserve unit simply provided him with contact info to set up his own appointment. I believe then PSP would have sent results directly back to CFRC. The only part played by the reserve unit in this case was providing contact info for PSP.

If other facility's are used such as the YMCA I would believe a group of recruits would do the testing at once. I am sure a proper fin code would be used to come out of recruitings budget and not the units.

Teager said:
If the unit is arranging for the fitness test could the recruiting centre be giving the reserve unit a fin code to use for any expenses? Thus no cost would come from reserve units budget. Also PrairieThunder said that the reserve unit simply provided him with contact info to set up his own appointment. I believe then PSP would have sent results directly back to CFRC. The only part played by the reserve unit in this case was providing contact info for PSP.

If other facility's are used such as the YMCA I would believe a group of recruits would do the testing at once. I am sure a proper fin code would be used to come out of recruitings budget and not the units.

If they did that, provide the Fin Code, then why could they not also make the bookings....or give the contact number to the applicant?

George Wallace said:
If they did that, provide the Fin Code, then why could they not also make the bookings....or give the contact number to the applicant?

I'm guessing here but seeing that most reserve units have there own unit recruiters those recruiters are getting stuck with the arrangements. What I am seeing is that someone who wants to join the reserves comes to the reserve unit they want to join and a lot of the process is done with the unit recruiter. Maybe someone with reserve recruiter experience can weigh in and explain the current procedures.

I do see what your getting at though George.

Well, I missed a few posts since my last login, but here is what I know:

1) sig officer is a closed trade, at least so this recruiter told me via email because of my first application in the regular force (but that might have been because I never sent the diploma they needed because some recruiter at the local RC NEVER told me it took a engineering baccalaureate degree for this trade -_- ).

2) Fitness test is done before the medical test for the reserve applicants, or so my local reserve unit in which I applied told me. It will be administered by the local RC since they do not have the space/equipement for it. It might even take place at the Valcartier base (I'm in Quebec city).

What I still do not understand, and please, I do not intend to offend anyone working as a recruiter for the Forces, but how can they NOT say the same thing? I just don't understand how some recruiters tell me the trade that would fit me most, according to my studies and background, is logistic officer (i.e. one of the 2 recruiters I met at the RC in Quebec city and the 2 recruiters in charge of the 35e B. SNC reserve), while this other random person who called me to tell me my trade was closed (for my first application in the regular, which I had asked via email and phone to North Bay to cancel over a week ago), said to me I wasn't qualified for the trade after I briefed him up with my application process in the reserve.
How can people not agree on qualifications?  ??? I'm just a bit sad and upset about the whole thing, since the first recruiter told me about sig officer while knowing I wasn't even qualified for it... then this person saying I'm not qualified while 3 other people think I am? I just seem to keep losing time and energy over my application and it's just frustrating not to have a concensus.

Anyway, I will not let this stop my will to get into the reserves. :) I'm really determined and it's hard to change my mind with such little problems.

l.viita said:
...What I still do not understand, and please, I do not intend to offend anyone working as a recruiter for the Forces, but...

Anyway, I will not let this stop my will to get into the reserves. :) I'm really determined and it's hard to change my mind with such little problems.

I can't help you with any of the "why's" regarding different information given to you.  But as a fellow applicant, yes, remain determined--Provided you know you have the necessary pre-reqs/qualifications for your trade. (Just throwing that in there, as sometimes individuals have fantastic attitudes, but lack what they actually need for the choices they selected, so simply being positive won't help.)  Unfortunately, throughout my own process I have also received conflicting information on more than one occasion, so I understand your frustration.

The following has worked for me; Don't be afraid to seek clarification/ask follow-up questions to the information given to you.  Take tips/advisement under consideration and make sure you're doing everything you can on your end to remain competitive.  If for some reason you feel things aren't being understood accurately through emails or phone conversations, go to your RC and have a sit-down. Remain persistent, but patient. (Trust me, the latter is something I struggle with regularly, naturally being an impatient person.) Always be polite.

Things will come together. Sometimes it takes longer than one would like, but they do eventually fall into place.  Good luck moving forward.

BeyondTheNow said:
I can't help you with any of the "why's" regarding different information given to you.  But as a fellow applicant, yes, remain determined--Provided you know you have the necessary pre-reqs/qualifications for your trade. (Just throwing that in there, as sometimes individuals have fantastic attitudes, but lack what they actually need for the choices they selected, so simply being positive won't help.)  Unfortunately, throughout my own process I have also received conflicting information on more than one occasion, so I understand your frustration.

The following has worked for me; Don't be afraid to seek clarification/ask follow-up questions to the information given to you.  Take tips/advisement under consideration and make sure you're doing everything you can on your end to remain competitive.  If for some reason you feel things aren't being understood accurately through emails or phone conversations, go to your RC and have a sit-down. Remain persistent, but patient. (Trust me, the latter is something I struggle with regularly, naturally being an impatient person.) Always be polite.

Things will come together. Sometimes it takes longer than one would like, but they do eventually fall into place.  Good luck moving forward.

Thanks for the advices! :) Well according to the people in charge of the recruiting at the reserve, I have a very competitive application. I'll check with the lieutenant there to seek some more details as to why it seems so contradictory for my studies, but he had an accident on his way home and was on a sick leave for a few days.

I'm a hard-headed person, so it takes a lot to change my mind about some decisions I made. I guess in a way, it takes time and patience so that people who aren't so serious about it give up with the small contradictions.

I'll give a call this week to do a follow-up on my application at my local reserve unit. But really, I doubt I need to worry, because most people I talked to claimed I had what it took for the trade; both for my studies and my working experience.

George Wallace said:
1.  CFRG is no longer willing to hire Class B Reservists to run their CFRCs; or

2.  Someone is too lazy to perform their administrative functions/duties.

Whatever the cause, it is looking like the system is on the way to a major breakdown.

Both were valid when I left last year, CFRG downsizing and some CFRC's Det's not having the most motivated or competent staff.

Hey guys,
I don't know if I should make a thread about this or not its pretty basic couple of questions and it seems the
Right place to ask.
So basically as the old story goes around here I've been wanting to join since I was 16. I got my papers
For the reserves but took another direction in life and couldn't join. I always kept that goal and am almost 21 now, Over the last months I have been going to the gym almost daily and preparing for bt if the chance i have the opportunity to serve. i have lost 30 pounds and am physically fit enough to join. I recently applied to the reg force for this is something that I want to make a career of. I know its hard and competitive to get in but I will try till I succeed this is something I need to do or else I know I will die old and upset that I never did. I have some volunteering but not a whole lot and only stepped up my workout in the last 3-4 months so on the application I only put 3 days a week of physical activity. I am also on a Rec kickball team with my boss but I didn't want to pump myself up I guess because it asks over a Year and not last 4 months so I rounded down. When I was talking to the recruiter here in calgary he said that for every 100 applications he looks at he rejects 90, without an interview I assume from the way it sounded. I guess my question is. Would a young guy with 2-3 years construction experience. And some light volunteering expierience and (as I put on my application even though I stepped up a lot recently) average physical fitness have at making it to that phase of the process.
My step dad who was in the reserves in 2001 at 40 years old said i shouldn't have a problem and that it took up to a year for him to get sworn in. And also what is the average time it takes to receive any kind of information on where your application is? The recruiter also told me they might not even look at it out of CFVRC and basically has scared me and I feel like there's nothing that makes me stand out currently as a good candidate. Just too average or something...

Daggss said:
Hey guys...

You don't know unless you try. Users here, even ones in Recruiting, can only offer an educated guess based on the info you provided.

It's my understanding that there are several variables/factors that make up how successful an applicant may be. What trade(s) are you interested in? Each trade has its own level of competitiveness. Hopefully you would be contacted to write the CFAT and complete the subsequent steps, in which case, how you score on those coupled with other elements earns you an overall 'applicant score' that may or may not be enough to get you merit-listed and put you in the running for the job you want.

Length of time for contact, time-frame between each step during the recruiting process etc., varies greatly. There are some terrific threads detailing what I've mentioned in length.

If you weren't 'thrilled' with the recruiter you spoke to, don't be afraid to try again at a different RC or simply a different member. I walked away feeling very discouraged when I initially spoke with a recruiter in 2006. You might feel better after giving it another shot. Best of luck!

Back