• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Officer mental model

Stiman

Inactive
Reaction score
I'm looking to start a discussion on new recruits looking to join the officer ranks. This is something I find myself thinking about as I'm waiting to be called for my interview and I would like to get everyone's perspective on this.

Which of the following best describes your own situation?
Which, in your opinion, describes the ideal candidate?

- A recruit who's primary interest/motivation in joining is the specific occupation they chose,
- A recruit who's primary interest/motivation in joining is to be a leader and fill that Officer role,
- A recruit who's interest is divided between his/her occupation and being a leader/officer.

I would have to say , the best possible candidate would be the one that doesn't join an officer rank to be boss - medals seekers - I'm better then you attitude ......

In my personal opinion I think being a good officer means to be there for your guys , putting your guys and mission first , your own safety would have to come after those 2 requirement are met.  I'm reading a lot of books right now about different thing in the army , different missions and everything ..... something that most people seem to forget is that TRUE LEADER are not always officers .... you have incredible NCO's that are terrific are the job they are doing without being captain or whatever.

The best officer would be the one that is true to his troop , not trying to be BS about anything , no lies or whatever , you have to put yourself on the same level as your guys , these guys are on the front line , don't ask them anything you wouldn't do.

Read some of these already posted topics and then see what you can deduct from them:

http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/25689/post-153771.html#msg153771

http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/110505/post-1228752.html#msg1228752

Leadership 101 in the Forces:

My mission, My Men, My self.

In the CF, just like any organization there are Leaders who are not officers and there are officers who are not leaders.  You will encounter both in your Military Career.

Back