• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

"O'Connor has $8B military 'wish list"

Me:

I have no ulterior motive.  I don't like the Liberals. >:D

There seems to be some strangeness in the land that suggests that it is bizarre if somebody does what they say they are going to do. 

WRT the C17, I have not heard that the CDS wanted to turn them down.

IIRC before the decision on airlift was made by the Liberals the CF, if not the CDS, was pushing for the C17s.  At the time the press was pushing Chretien on the need for lift when he came up with his famous observation that we didn't need aircraft parked on the runway just in case.  During Martin's campaign he declared that we didn't need Harper's hybrid carriers "We don't need ships.  Ships are old technology and too slow.  We need aircraft."  So Martin in office decides to build ships and forget about aircraft.  Eventually, in time for the next campaign, he decides that General Rick should get some aircraft - C130s (which were to be sole-sourced and Edmonton has a track record in servicing them - that contract was, however moved to Kelowna).

I wouldn't be at all surprised if General Hillier asked for what he thought he could get.

As to standing up a service capability for 4 aircraft.....why on earth would we go through the capital cost of setting up such a venture, the cost and time associated with training personnel to perform those tasks, then accept not only the risk associated with the learning curve as staff figure out how not to do their jobs but also the risk associated with skills fade due to only working on one or two aircraft a year? 

It is a better decision all round just to send the aircraft back to the shop that is already servicing 180 or so aircraft.

On the other hand - having Spar look after C130s in Edmonton (or that group in Kelowna if they are up to snuff) look after any new C130s makes eminent sense.  In fact the presence of that capability domestically is a powerful argument for buying the C130 vs the A400M.

Rant off... :)

Liberals with an ulterior motive, when it comes to men and women in uniform.  You must be joking.

Kirkhill, You type allot faster than I do and I lost my post ???

Geo, As far as the Duh and ulterior motives bit I'll just say I want whats best for the forces and leave it at that

First, I read the Liberal media statement's title....
"Government Must be Guided by Needs of Military, Not Politics, says Official Opposition"
:rofl:

.....and then I got as far as the first line, where I saw that the statement comes from Liberal Defence Critic Ujjal Dosanjh and Quebec Economic Development Critic Denis Coderre.....

.....and now, several minutes later, I'm still chuckling, wiping the tears from my eyes, and trying to catch my breath. Does This Hour has 22 Minutes write their material?

Oh man, I'm going to need a second here. I can't wait to read the rest of this comedy

Pls keep rant off............

"So Martin in office decides to build ships and forget about aircraft."
???
did I miss something? - what ships were those that Paul Martin built?

"WRT the C17, I have not heard that the CDS wanted to turn them down"
the CDS said in no uncertain words that what he needs is CC130s.... to date, we're seeing C17s.... and no CC130s.

"As to standing up a service capability for 4 aircraft...../As to standing up a service capability for 4 aircraft...."
???
where did I say to stand up and fund the darned thing.  I very simly said that it should have been opened to tender instead of being signed away from the get go.

Thankyou for keeping rant off.

Chimo!

WRT rant off .... I will not make any such undertaking. :)

During campaign - Aircraft to deliver aid
Post campaign - JSS to deliver aid.

Re service: you have some merit there.  Perhaps I reacted hastily.  Liberals make me see Red.

Cheers and have a great day. :)

Just tell the Liberals that we are going to purchase them using the precedent that Chreatin did for the Challengers. In fact it seems to be happening as fast, it’s all good as we get to benefit from a running assembly line.  ;D

Colin P said:
Just tell the Liberals that we are going to purchase them using the precedent that Chreatin did for the Challengers. In fact it seems to be happening as fast, it's all good as we get to benefit from a running assembly line.  ;D
??? not sure where you are going with this.
The challengers were bought from a Cdn company - not an american one... so your claim doesn't fit.

Journeyman said:
First, I read the Liberal media statement's title....
"Government Must be Guided by Needs of Military, Not Politics, says Official Opposition"
:rofl:

.....and then I got as far as the first line, where I saw that the statement comes from Liberal Defence Critic Ujjal Dosanjh and Quebec Economic Development Critic Denis Coderre.....

.....and now, several minutes later, I'm still chuckling, wiping the tears from my eyes, and trying to catch my breath. Does This Hour has 22 Minutes write their material?

Oh man, I'm going to need a second here. I can't wait to read the rest of this comedy

No i don't think they help but tell me if he does not remind you of Rog Binder the sports caster from 22 mins.

Its getting offly Danny Heatly in here.

geo said:
??? not sure where you are going with this.
The challengers were bought from a Cdn company - not an american one... so your claim doesn't fit.

More to do with the fact that the PM suddenly decided that we(him) needed new jets and ordered them without giving any one else a chance to bid on them.

I hope that when it comes down to the purchases they just do the right thing and get the stuff that works.

I would like to see what they have on their mind for the trucks for the army after seeing the MILCOT- chevs I can't wait for this one.

Liberals (Graham, Dosanjh) led (!) with procurement in QP today.  They claimed C-17s were not wanted by military (read Hillier) but by O'Connor and would be wasteful spending as the Air Force needs Hercs and rapidly.

Then they went on the demand that maintenance for C-17s be done in Canada.  Talk about playing both ends against the middle.

Mark
Ottawa

Well since O'Connor was the lobbyist for AirBus -- no one can claim his C17 bill is for anyone but the Forces -- that Dosanjh is an utter assclown

Infidel-6 said:
Well since O'Connor was the lobbyist for AirBus -- no one can claim his C17 bill is for anyone but the Forces -- that Dosanjh is an utter assclown

Now now name calling will not get you anywhere.

The only reason I can see O"Connor pushing for 4 of the C-17's is that the A400's aren't ready and won't be in time for use.  It also leaves the door open for the purchase of the A 400's if and when they are proven.

The only reason I can see O"Connor pushing for 4 of the C-17's is that the A400's aren't ready and won't be in time for use.  It also leaves the door open for the purchase of the A 400's if and when they are proven.

If that IS the only reason, it is a fairly substantive one.

I saw the H of C debate between O'Connor and Dosanjih and, kudoes to Gordon, he ran circles around the Libs.  It must be hard being the Liberal Defence Critic; you've gotta reverse 13 years of actual history and reinvent the Libs as "friend's of the military".  I'd imagine they could call Polaris for another dodgy "analysis" ;D

too bad they didn't have Graham as the Lib defence critic.  1st politician in a long time that was interested in what he did and took the trouble to find out what the H was going on.

geo said:
too bad they didn't have Graham as the Lib defence critic.  1st politician in a long time that was interested in what he did and took the trouble to find out what the H was going on.

I agree geo.  Although I think David Pratt was a pretty good hand as well.

Infidel-6 said:

Calling Dosanjh an assclown is an insult to assclowns everywhere. :salute:

Back