• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Occupational Transfer

S

sj999

Hello,

Is there anyone here that has remustered from the navy to the air force?  I am currently in the navy and am interested in going airforce as one of the technical trades (Aviation systems , Avionics , or Aircraft Structures).  They all sound good and haven't decided which one yet but as I have only been in for less then 2 years I don't have to make a final choice just yet.  I am looking for any information on the transfer process and the requirements (from what I understand a QL4 course is required before an application can be made) from someone who has followed a similar path( I am a NESOP). Ideally I would like to know everything that is going to happen and every requirement so that I can start off my application perfectly and avoid any runarounds without pestering the people I directly work for. Where can I find all the documentation and how can I get access to it? Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

SJ:
Give the trade you are in a chance, they will not even look at you until you are a QL-5 qual. Also to be considered to be a good candidate for a VOT. You will have to prove competency and maturity in the trade you are in.
My recommendation is to do your best at the trade you are in. Be proactive, seek out additional coursing (OPME's,upgrade Math) and then make your application to the Airforce.

A brand new QL3 making his VOT wishes prior to be a LS(QL-5) is career suicide.
:skull:

NCRCrow

Hello,

Thanks for the input definetly something to think about. I am not so much against the trade as I would like a trade that has alot more to  do and not so focused on having to be at sea to do it.

thanks.

SJ:
When u see PDEV for an interview, be positive about the NESOP trade and going to sea.

As the 400 series trades are found in your Ship's airdets.

Volunteer work with the community and upgrading of education are huge factors,when the PDEV makes an assessment on your file.

Try the 183 Math Package (SIGE2810) (see your respective school on the coast)and have that recorded on your MPRR. That qual will pay huge dividends on your request.

Check out this course: (Nova Scotia)You might be able to some modules online

http://www.nscc.ca/Learning_Programs/Programs/PlanDescr.aspx?prg=AIRT&pln=AIRTECMECH

BC (volunteer at) http://www.vicair.net/opportunitie.htm to get some experience

Good Luck and stay under the radar, till you top your 5's course.

Crow Out

NCRCrow said:
As the 400 series trades are found in your Ship's airdets.

AVN, AVS and ACS are 500 series, you are correct, the airdets have around 11 techs of different kinds.

Hello,

Thanks again for the advice. great links and that math package sounds good. Have been looking into online/distance education for awhile now but haven't found too much, all the online programs focus to much on the business side of things and not on the technical (so far I have found nothing with an engineering slant to it, my guess is maybe because there is alot of labs that require being on a campus ), the closest thing I have found has been the undergraduate degrees at RMC through thier continuing education they have degrees in math and physics but thier course offerings don't cover all the credits required,although from my understanding that's going to change in the near future (and currently you can get the requirements elsewhere such as athabasca online). Anyways thanks again and I'll be trying to fly under the radar but  that doesn't seem to easy to do on a CPF ;D 

SJ

NCRCrow said:
SJ:
Give the trade you are in a chance, they will not even look at you until you are a QL-5 qual. Also to be considered to be a good candidate for a VOT. You will have to prove competency and maturity in the trade you are in.
My recommendation is to do your best at the trade you are in. Be proactive, seek out additional coursing (OPME's,upgrade Math) and then make your application to the Airforce.

A brand new QL3 making his VOT wishes prior to be a LS(QL-5) is career suicide.
:skull:

NCRCrow

You actually only have to be QL4 qualified, if you complete your QL5 course you will then have to do 24 more months before you will be eligible or else you will need a naval waiver (which are rarely given out, you have to have extenuating (sp) circumstances). So it is a pretty small window in there from finishing your 4's package and then starting your 5's course but you can still try.

Here is a bit of advice for you coming from someone who has applied every year:
as NCRCrow has said do as good a job as you can in your current trade! do not slack off and burn bridges because you are bitter or know that you are not going to stay in your current trade. There have been cases where guys have been complete idiots and nobody wanted to keep them in trade so they somehow swung an OT, but those cases are far and few between. The only reason I was offered my OT to Aesop on my first (completely eligable) try was because I have always worked hard and demonstrated a good work ethic which in turn provided me with a very good PER and reccommendation. One of the things the BPSO said when I had my interview was that he could definitely tell that I wanted out of my current trade, but that he had to commend me because I didnt let the fact that I wanted out of it affect my performance.
If you are anything like me you will change your mind a half dozen times about what you want to OT to. Every year my application was for a different trade and every year I was shot down because of different things.
1) Needed 48 months continuous service (my bad, I was new lol)
2) Application got as far as an email to my MOC advisor who said he could not afford to let me go, went no further than my department.
3) Just finished my QL5 course and the new policy that year was that if you had your 5's you had to give them 24 more months.
4) Decided to go for COTP to Aesop, the COTP program just seemed better because you do not start from square one with a QL3 course, you remain within your peer group and it is more like taking a step forward than a step backward, plus I met a couple of Aesops on deployment and was really interested in what they did. To my surprise was accepted and cannot wait to finish coursing and maybe sail again as part of an Air det just to rub it in a little to a couple of buddies of mine.
But again, I cant stress enough how important it is to do a good job, your PER is one of the major factors in if you will be picked.
Expressing your interest in VOT at an early stage in your career will not necessarily be career suicide as NCRCrow has stated, but it all depends on how you go about it. Saying things like "I hate this trade,  I want out" definitely will not help you but If you conitinue to do a good job and are a strong performer then making your intentions known to your supervisors may prove to help your cause. If they see a young guy who works hard and is easy to get along with who has enjoyed his time so far in his trade but knows that he wants to move to a new direction they may help you out and find tasks and courses to mould you to reflect qualities that may be desired by the trade you are interested in. It could be anything, like the trade you want looks for people with good communication/presentation skills, if your department knows that you want to OT it may be easier to get extra courses on base or at the Learning Centre to help you in those areas or they could task you with briefing/training the new OS's onboard of all the equipment you use which in turn will lead to some good divnote entries which will lead to a PDR/PER that reflects your superiority in those skill sets. Try to get  a feel of how your department would react to you mentioning it, different regimes have different attitudes to stuff like this. One PO1 might be very proud and get offended that you would want out of his trade while another might have gone through the same situation as you and will have a "I've been there" type attitude and want to do what he can for you. In the end it is all up to you how you want to go about it.
Anyways, with that said, good luck, dont get discouraged and dont let your desire for a new trade blacken your attitude toward your current one, try to have fun where you are because life does get easier as you get more time in and you may change your mind. Dont burn any bridges!

aesop081 said:
277to 081,

You're not an AESOP yet   ;D

Shhh, they will hear you.
My unit sent out my acceptance, the hospital messed up on my medical and didnt send it out because they neglected to mention that I actually have to redo all of it and not just the bloodwork. So I sat around waiting for 3 wks for nothing. Redoing it on the 11th, word is that my effective date will be 11 July!!

Edit: So how is life so far by the way?
what course were you? was it 0402, if so which guy are you, they posted the photo over at aesoplounge.com http://aesoplounge.com/modules.php?...ame=gallery&file=index&include=view_photo.php

I have never seen a QL-4 get a remuster in the Navy. Exception--OP to NETech(A,B,C) or Clearance Diver.

I have put through many VOT requests for QL-4's to(HT, AESOP, RMS, MP) and the ship I was on did not support them.

QL-5 has a better chance, especially with a (PO1) strong section head recommendation.

Goood luck try the 183 math , while u wait.

NCRCrow said:
I have never seen a QL-4 get a remuster in the Navy. Exception--OP to NETech(A,B,C) or Clearance Diver.

I have put through many VOT requests for QL-4's to(HT, AESOP, RMS, MP) and the ship I was on did not support them.

QL-5 has a better chance, especially with a (PO1) strong section head recommendation.

Goood luck try the 183 math , while u wait.
I have witnessed it personally, a fellow 277, he fell under the "Let's get this useless POS out of here" category, he went RMS. You are right though, it is not likely. 

I consider a VOT/COTP app like a credit report, the more hits on it. The worse it looks.

My thinking was, what happens if the indivdual, does not like the next trade. And decides to perform poorly. It reflects bad on the Navy.

or we send them to INT............. ??? (bring it on)

277to081 said:
Shhh, they will hear you.
My unit sent out my acceptance, the hospital messed up on my medical and didnt send it out because they neglected to mention that I actually have to redo all of it and not just the bloodwork. So I sat around waiting for 3 wks for nothing. Redoing it on the 11th, word is that my effective date will be 11 July!!

Edit: So how is life so far by the way?
what course were you? was it 0402, if so which guy are you, they posted the photo over at aesoplounge.com http://aesoplounge.com/modules.php?...ame=gallery&file=index&include=view_photo.php

I was on 0401.........0402 are losers  ;D

When you are done BAC and you have your wings, you can call yourself an AESOP.......never mind your effective date

I'm in Greenwood on the aurora course right now

Cheers

Big man w/ wings...............he will be an AESOP soon, just not qualified yet

u were in his shoes last year

NCRCrow said:
Big man w/ wings...............he will be an AESOP soon, just not qualified yet

u were in his shoes last year

Oh i know that...its was all in good fun.....i earned my ribbing priviledge...its also a reminder that not everybody passes ( as our course found out )

We need more AESOPs.........anyone else interested ?

Cheers

LOL thanks Crow!
I dont mind a little ribbing here and there, I am still quite proud of how far I have come though. How is the MOAT course aesop081? Is it anything like BAC, I take it you get posted after BAC but what happens if you get Comox, do you still go to Greenwood for MOAT or do they do that in Comox as well? Just have to prep the wife for how long I will be away.

277to081 said:
LOL thanks Crow!
I dont mind a little ribbing here and there, I am still quite proud of how far I have come though. How is the MOAT course aesop081? Is it anything like BAC, I take it you get posted after BAC but what happens if you get Comox, do you still go to Greenwood for MOAT or do they do that in Comox as well? Just have to prep the wife for how long I will be away.

It doesn't matter where you get posted..the aurora course is here in Greenwood.  If you get sea kings, the course is in shearwater.  MOAT is going good, if you can pass BAC you should be alright.  You usualy find out your posting towards the end of the course when in Winnipeg. Time away depends on timing.  I started BAC in september...graduated in february and started MOAT in March...the other guys on my MOAT waited 6 months for MOAT so it depends on when you graduate BAC as to when you will be on the next phase.  The guys from my BAC that went to sea kings start their course in July.

Hello,

Haven't checked this thread in awhile, thanks for the comments. Still hanging out here, good advice on not burning bridges. I am probably at the stage of "playing with matches"  ;D  right now.  Will be getting lots of work shortly though, that might change my mind.

thanks
SJ999

277to081  thanks for the informative post and good luck with the new trade.

Back