• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Observations about Admins

putz

Inactive
Reaction score
So I've been a member on here for years.  I mostly stick the shadows and creep posts.  Recently I have noticed something that I think should be brought up.  It is 2016 and younger generations rely more and more on computers, message boards etc to get information.  With that being said I don't understand the need for admins to be condescending, ignorant or in some cases just pain assholes to people looking for information.  It's 2016 most people now a days will readily post a questions instead of searching.  In some matters DS are telling people to use the search function on topics that may not have been updated in a year or more.  I can understand directing people to use the search function or Google.  But being condescending and providing "walk through instructions" (one example) on how to use Google is far from professional or acceptable. The search function on this page is not the most user friendly around.  I'd like to think that we haven't driven away some future generations by having some retired or currently serving CAF member being the asshole that is the first contact that these people have with the CAF.

putz said:
So I've been a member on here for years.  I mostly stick the shadows and creep posts.  Recently I have noticed something that I think should be brought up.  It is 2016 and younger generations rely more and more on computers, message boards etc to get information.  With that being said I don't understand the need for admins to be condescending, ignorant or in some cases just pain assholes to people looking for information.  It's 2016 most people now a days will readily post a questions instead of searching.  In some matters DS are telling people to use the search function on topics that may not have been updated in a year or more.  I can understand directing people to use the search function or Google.  But being condescending and providing "walk through instructions" (one example) on how to use Google is far from professional or acceptable. The search function on this page is not the most user friendly around.  I'd like to think that we haven't driven away some future generations by having some retired or currently serving CAF member being the ******* that is the first contact that these people have with the CAF.

If you had used the search function properly, you would have discovered that many other members have brought up this same issue before. Please read the site guidelines and refrain from bringing up the same issues that have already been brought up and ignored before.

Lumber said:
If you had used the search function properly, you would have discovered that many other members have brought up this same issue before. Please read the site guidelines and refrain from bringing up the same issues that have already been brought up and ignored before.

You magnificent bastard.

giphy.gif

I've said it before and I'll say it again; the site's search function is awful, and most people don't know about the "site:" function on Google. I believe we as a site are pretty terrible to kids who want to learn about the military with the intent of joining. If an 18 year old walked into our armoury all bright eyed and curious, would we tell them to go Google 'Canadian Army' and boot them out the door? I bloody well hope not. The beauty of this page is that at the low low prize of zero effort, you can ignore posts that annoy you, you aren't even stuck being that first guy in CADPAT the kid sees and walks up to.

My two cents, but I recall that the reason I got invited to be an admin in the first place was because of the patience I showed in the recruiting forum.

Brihard said:
My two cents, but I recall that the reason I got invited to be an admin in the first place was because of the patience I showed in the recruiting forum.

Actually we were friggin' desperate and out of thousands of invites you were the only one dumb enough to say yes..........  :nana:

The post above is much nicer than the old rainbow post or going all caps on someone and calling them stupid.

Lumber & Brihard: best posts I've seen here in awhile.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bruce Monkhouse said:
Actually we were friggin' desperate and out of thousands of invites you were the only one dumb enough to say yes..........  :nana:

That was when I was young and stupid. Now I'm a bit older but sadly still stupid.

putz said:
So I've been a member on here for years.  I mostly stick the shadows and creep posts.  Recently I have noticed something that I think should be brought up.  It is 2016 and younger generations rely more and more on computers, message boards etc to get information.  With that being said I don't understand the need for admins to be condescending, ignorant or in some cases just pain assholes to people looking for information.  It's 2016 most people now a days will readily post a questions instead of searching.  In some matters DS are telling people to use the search function on topics that may not have been updated in a year or more.  I can understand directing people to use the search function or Google.  But being condescending and providing "walk through instructions" (one example) on how to use Google is far from professional or acceptable. The search function on this page is not the most user friendly around.  I'd like to think that we haven't driven away some future generations by having some retired or currently serving CAF member being the ******* that is the first contact that these people have with the CAF.

Try volunteering for and being a DS and then you will see why they do, what they do and they're not getting paid for it.  It's voluntary time on their part, whether they have a job or not, they just seem to enjoy providing information and taking S&A whilst doing it.

When you see the same question, over and over again, it get's pretty old and frustrating.  If you want to complain about the site, treat it like your current job and come with not just the complaint but also a solution to what you see as a possible resolution to the problem.  Just maybe, the site owners will see some benefit to what you suggest.    :salute:

putz said:
It's 2016 most people now a days will readily post a questions instead of searching.  In some matters DS are telling people to use the search function on topics that may not have been updated in a year or more. 

I use this Sticky from a Moderator and the Site Owner as my guideline,

Necroposting - Not always a bad idea
http://army.ca/forums/threads/87278.0.html

Potential Applicants can Ask a CAF Recruiter. DAA and Sgt. Laen are always very helpful.

READ FIRST Sticky from Captain Mark in Ask a CAF Recruiter, "Before you ask a question,you should be searching the forum or the Forces.ca website for these answers."
http://milnet.ca/forums/threads/115341.0.html

DAA said:
When you see the same question, over and over again, it get's pretty old and frustrating.

We only have two Recruiters allowed to post in Ask a CAF Recruiter. Sgt. Laen and yourself. I am not aware of any others.

Which is why I believe Captain Mark asked applicants, and potential applicants, to first search the site and forces.ca before posting their questions.

Attachments

• recruiter.png
    recruiter.png
    347.7 KB · Views: 438
Scott said:
The post above is much nicer than the old rainbow post or going all caps on someone and calling them stupid.

What?

You mean this one?  BEFORE YOU POST - READ THIS:

I had to go back almost a decade to find that.....(ten years for you young pups).  [:D

Thanks for the post DAA

Sadly Putz, you have been here since 2004 and your contribution today is to make complaint.  The offer has been put out to members of the site to become Mentors and mentor new members.  Have you taken up that offer?  No.  Others have provided their expertise and knowledge without being Mentors or Admins, such as DAA.  With your time as a member of the PPCLI and in the Infantry, are you supplying any such help to the members seeking advice?  Other members, such as mariomike, are quick to answer questions with links to threads that cover the answers in depth.  Have you tried that?  Having been in the military, you have heard the statement that commenting without a solution is not solving anything.  You can ask yourself: Are you part of the solution or part of the problem?  Perhaps, part of the solution may be found in the two examples I just gave; of DAA and mariomike. 

George Wallace said:
What?

I had to go back almost a decade to find that.....(ten years for you young pups).  [:D

Thanks for the post DAA

Sadly Putz, you have been here since 2004 and your contribution today is to make complaint.  The offer has been put out to members of the site to become Mentors and mentor new members.  Have you taken up that offer?  No.  Others have provided their expertise and knowledge without being Mentors or Admins, such as DAA.  With your time as a member of the PPCLI and in the Infantry, are you supplying any such help to the members seeking advice?  Other members, such as mariomike, are quick to answer questions with links to threads that cover the answers in depth.  Have you tried that?  Having been in the military, you have heard the statement that commenting without a solution is not solving anything.  You can ask yourself: Are you part of the solution or part of the problem?  Perhaps, part of the solution may be found in the two examples I just gave; of DAA and mariomike.

What cant make complaints now?  I have given plenty of advice and posted information both on threads and through PM. Mostly through PM as I am not on here regularly and get notifications through email when I am being messaged.  I guess I could be a moderator if you'd be happy with one that's on the site rather irregularly.  It would be true saying that I'm part of the problem if as the one making condescending posts.  I am not though.  But hey jump on the guy making observations and accuse them of being part of the problem.  That's really productive. 

George Wallace said:
What?

Thanks for the post DAA

I can think of some people who are the problem........ ::)

putz said:
What cant make complaints now?  I have given plenty of advice and posted information both on threads and through PM. Mostly through PM as I am not on here regularly and get notifications through email when I am being messaged.  I guess I could be a moderator if you'd be happy with one that's on the site rather irregularly.  It would be true saying that I'm part of the problem if as the one making condescending posts.  I am not though.  But hey jump on the guy making observations and accuse them of being part of the problem.  That's really productive.

Putz, you have a point and a valid one at that. I will even note, it has garnered attention over on cess hole that is reddit...

https://m.reddit.com/r/CanadianForces/comments/2ax2lq/spotted_this_on_armyca/

I personally think a small issue exists, but it is not that bad in my opinion. As mentioned early the sites search function is a piece of junk, so much so I never use it. The second is, some people, sometimes have a tough attitude.

But I think that is an evolution from the very respectable and proactive culture army.ca has. Army.ca requires people to be proactive in their research which is a good thing.. a trait I suspect will help a fellow in BMQ.

Now many members.. most notably MarioMike quickly link people the answers... but sometimes tough reply's do come, that may or has hurt the membership or input on this site. Now I realize in the Armed Forces you should not be a dancing fairy, but if you singe those dancing fairies with fire before you can smarten them out... you may never get the chance to straighten them out.

I suggest instead of lamblasting the lazy or ignorant chaps ;) you post a link to the posting guidelines and then a link to the relevant material with a standarized joking quip and an attached smiley ;) then just have it as the standard go to format... and then if they do not smarten up.... let the dogs loose ;)

The non military pundit hahaha
Abdullah

AbdullahD said:
https://m.reddit.com/r/CanadianForces/comments/2ax2lq/spotted_this_on_armyca/

Good grief! They sound disgruntled! Maybe they got kicked off this site?!  :)

They love flotiste, whoever s/he is.

AbdullahD said:
I suggest instead of lamblasting the lazy or ignorant chaps ;) you post a link to the posting guidelines and then a link to the relevant material with a standarized joking quip and an attached smiley ;) then just have it as the standard go to format... and then if they do not smarten up.... let the dogs loose ;)

We have done that over the years, and had an infamous "Rainbow Post"  to cover all eventualities, which garnered less than positive reviews.  The novelty wears off rather quickly.  There is only one way to satisfy all, all but the lazy or ignorant chaps, and that is to ignore the lazy and ignorant chaps.  That way you don't lambaste anyone; you don't have to do the work for the lazy and find the answer in the forums; you don't have to reply; and others do not have to lambaste you for your reply to a redundant question.

George Wallace said:
We have done that over the years, and had an infamous "Rainbow Post"  to cover all eventualities, which garnered less than positive reviews.  The novelty wears off rather quickly.  There is only one way to satisfy all, all but the lazy or ignorant chaps, and that is to ignore the lazy and ignorant chaps.  That way you don't lambaste anyone; you don't have to do the work for the lazy and find the answer in the forums; you don't have to reply; and others do not have to lambaste you for your reply to a redundant question.

Well then I am left the idea of a standardized exam ;)

Code in an examination of why a person is joining up, in an interactive manner mind you. Then point them directly to the relevant threads and at the end of all that allow them to post ;)

putz said:

Problem being was your lead in statement to your comment, which was...

putz said:
So I've been a member on here for years.  I mostly stick the shadows and creep posts.  Recently I have noticed something that I think should be brought up.

I've seen some of your posts and you do contribute nicely to the conversations which go on here and I hope you stick around and continue to contribute, when you can.    :) 

Sticking in the shadows and creeping, then suddenly jumping out........isn't always a good thing to do and may have scared some people.    :salute:

Back