• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Nursing officer enrollment/clinical placements

deniseb27

Inactive
Reaction score
I'm thinking about applying for the forces (ROTP) for nursing. I read some profiles for other occupations and see that they pay $29,000 for the 1st year of school with that amount increasing each year for some occupations. Does anyone know if the salary during the ROTP years is comparable to the $29,000 that I thought I'd get paid?

deniseb27 said:
I'm thinking about applying for the forces (ROTP) for nursing. I read some profiles for other occupations and see that they pay $29,000 for the 1st year of school with that amount increasing each year for some occupations. Does anyone know if the salary during the ROTP years is comparable to the $29,000 that I thought I'd get paid?

http://www.forces.gc.ca/dgcb/dppd/engraph/Apr2006CF_payrates_e.pdf

1387 x 12 = 16,664 plus the CF pays for your tution and books.

Playing Devil's Advocate here - what exactly is the rationale behind your question?

Are you trying to clarify exactly what your NOTP salary will be?

Or, are you hunting for a program that pays the most?

I'm trying to clarify what the income would be - I want to know that I can afford to go this route instead of student loans and working full time to support my family. I'm going to be a nurse one way or another - there's no shopping around here.

Well considering that the CF pays for tuition books and mandatory school supplies (I'm not sure if you nurses get stethescopes and whatnot) I would see it as a way more viable option then to take out a student loan. Tuition and books are ontop of that and your first year Salary is 1387 per year minus deductions (taxes are very light at that level as your technically below the poverty line)
Edit: I'm almost done my first year on employ in ROTP and I made approx 550 every two weeks.

A lot depends upon where you are in the process. If you are currently in a University nursing program then the amount may be different because if you are near the end of your schooling. Although the pay isn't high to start due to the fact the CF pays your tuition and school expenses, you must also include the amount they cover for residence and food.  Nurses cannot get trained through RMC so you would get the same support as an RMC student which includes living (residence and food) costs. So although you see low pay initially,  you have almost no  expenses for your education, a place to live and a great summer job!  Your pay also goes up quite quickly once you have graduated. Also nifty neat uniforms and a chance to travel and be paid to learn a second language.  Best bet is to drop by your local recruiting centre or call them to discuss your options.    

A lot will depend on your family situation, and whether you take a short term or long term approach.

NOTP doesn't pay much to start, and these programs really were designed for the 18 - 19 year old student who lives on Mac & Cheese or residence food. If you complete the program, and progress in a CF career, you will enter into a world which actually looks after you and the family quite well.

True, in the civilian world, you can often earn much more in outright salary as a Nurse with seniority. In that regard, sucking up the student loans can be seen as preferable, but lately the burn-out rate is quite high, and it's shift work for many years.

Most CF Nurses don't claim burn-out, and don't do odd shifts here in Canada. And if you show leadership, skill, and potential, you could hit the rank of Lieutenant Colonel, or even Colonel eventually (takes many years and lots of hard work).

Interesting, I had no idea that they also help with food / living. I wonder if that applies if you're not living on residence, though. I have a family - a partner and 2 kids, so living on campus isn't an option.

deniseb27 said:
Interesting, I had no idea that they also help with food / living. I wonder if that applies if you're not living on residence, though. I have a family - a partner and 2 kids, so living on campus isn't an option.
?? Where did you get that idea?

deniseb27 said:
Three posts above yours someone said it.

Actually I believe that should read you will not get the same support as RMC students but contrary to what people like to think they pay something for their food and lodging too.  Therefore, you will pay for all your living expenses as a ROTP Nurse not the CF.

Not trying to stray from my very limited lane, but I have spoken to a recruiter, and done a fair bit of research as I intend to go ROTP if accepted.

http://64.254.158.112/pdf/ROTP%20Quest%20Part%201_en.pdf
http://64.254.158.112/pdf/ROTP%20Quest%20Part%202_en.pdf
http://www.admfincs.forces.gc.ca/admfincs/subjects/cfao/009-12_e.asp
http://www.recruiting.forces.gc.ca/v3/engraph/resources/howtojoin_en.aspx?bhcp=1
http://www.admfincs.forces.gc.ca/qr_o/vol1/ch006_e.asp

This has been all that I have found online, there is some interesting reading.

Hi guys,

I'm about to get my nursing degree in december. My question is can I only apply on Nursing Officer or I can apply for Pilot/Trades that don't need specific degree ? I'm really interested for Pilot

Thanks

No idea what your degree entitles you to apply for.  What I can tell you is expect a lot of pressure from recruiting to apply for nursing if that's what your degree is in

More discussion on this link:

http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/4249/post-41460.html#msg41460

RCDcpl said:
No idea what your degree entitles you to apply for.  What I can tell you is expect a lot of pressure from recruiting to apply for nursing if that's what your degree is in

For anybody who thinks there is still a huge demand for nursing, not anymore.  There were zero DEO spots this year.  ZERO.  I get worried everytime PM Harper shows his face on tv.

Hi, I'm currently a BSc Nursing student in Toronto (not ROTP) graduating in summer 2014 and hope to serve with CF afterwards for at least a few years.

For my consolidation semester I'm hoping to complete my clinical placement in a CF-affiliated facility, I'm just curious is there anything like that open to civilians? It doesn't even necessarily have to involve acute care or providing direct care to service members (although that would be a great learning experience I figure that's out of the question). My main focus is to develop a basic understanding about challenges that are specific to military nurses/medical professionals, and to gain some basic clinical skills that would prepare me to be an effective military nurse in the future.

it would depend on things like : how much alcohol you consume, if you do any drugs, what gender you are, how good your marks are, and if there are any positions open. i know there is a few civilians working at my base hospital but they are trying to get rid of them completely with the new budget,

eggert said:
it would depend on things like : how much alcohol you consume, if you do any drugs, what gender you are

Seriously?    ::)

Short answer: there are no military affiliated facilities, unless you include the Montfort in Ottawa.

Back