• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

New RAN AUSCAM DPNU Uniform Unveiled

1feral1

Banned
Banned
Inactive
Reaction score
Seen this for the first time after the assylum seeker boat explosion. Googled and this is what I found.

Shared IAW the usual......

http://www.navy.gov.au/New_Navy_uniform_unveiled_in_Darwin

Here is a pic to wet your taste buds. More info on link.

OWDU

Pics dont really do it justice. It is a great rig, class above all it replaces.

Though it says just unveiled, its been a while coming, i was first issued them in a trial over a year ago. And all those who moaned before they got it were pleasantly surprised.

Just curious: What is the rationale behind equipping sailors with a DPM patterned uniform?

daftandbarmy said:
Just curious: What is the rationale behind equipping sailors with a DPM patterned uniform?
3 reasons.
Common Australian design pattern with the Army and RAAF.

Makes working rig look more professional, because it does not look shocking if it isn't ironed or pressed and more importantly smears of paint, grease, chinagraph etc are not noticed.

and for boarding ops or force protection, it just makes for a meaner looking sailor.

The sombrero's going to be fun in the wind, though. Our floppy combat hat is bad enough, and it's nowhere near that wide.

Loachman said:
The sombrero's going to be fun in the wind, though. Our floppy combat hat is bad enough, and it's nowhere near that wide.

But it wouldn't be an Aussie uniform without it Loach.

You guys sure love that bingo dabber camo look don't you.  :camo:

I like it.

Velcro for the name tags and badges?  I wonder if anyone has thought of that for our sailors...

Or are they too busy fighting off the zipper boots?

NFLD Sapper said:
But it wouldn't be an Aussie uniform without it Loach.

Worn in the manner of the "Digger" hat, yes...

This one looks neither practical nor dignified.

I also have a vision of it with a wide ribbon around it accompanied by a big bow and ribbons, perhaps a couple of silk flowers, and some enormous pins driven through it - sort of a camouflaged easter bonnet.

Sorry, Australian sailors, but you deserve a better hat.

Loachman said:

Its not reguarly worn.

In fact I've most often seen it worn by guys with a fishing line over the side of a Patrol Boat on a Sunday sea.

But as bad as it looks, if you are FX party closed up on the upper decks all day in the tropics transitting through the Great Barrier Reef, you'd rather wear it than have all the skin burnt off your head.

Usually ship's/navy ball caps are worn.

Looks like a trend  :)

2ij5fd4.jpg

It should been for the new RAN AUSCAM DPNU Uniform Unvailed the things that they found.Thanks for it.

So, jaychen, your response provided what besides a link to silk flowers?

Also, for the love of all that is decent can we please correct the spelling mistake in the title of this thread??  :-\

Back