• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

new platoon commander

Not surprisingly, the comon theme is that of listening to your NCOs. 

I would add another bit of advice:  know yourself - be yourself - and show yourself. 

My experience (including that a troop a long time ago in the Mo) is that troops would generally rather follow the man (or woman) than just the rank. In order to do that, you must know yourself, be yourself, and most importantly show yourself.  That of course covers both your strengths and your weaknesses.

Dave

This is all great advice.  Certainly a common theme has emerged.  I am starting BOTC to become an Inf Officer as well.  I really look forward to it and want to do be the best.  Not to boost my ego but to be able to influence the men of the platoon in the best possible way. 

I hate to admit it but there are times when I am indecisive.  I want to do what's best and therefore waffle on what I should do while I weigh the pros and cons.  I even go back on what I said and change my mind and do something else.  Are there any tips on how one might overcome an indecisive nature?

On an indecisive nature;

ANY decision is better than no decision at all.

If it is a bad, or wrong decision, you will learn from it, and not make it again.

If it is the right decision, you will know it, and make similar (good) decisions in the future.

Waffling achieves neither of these, so plunge in - it is better that you make the mistakes now than when lives are on the line.

+1 on what GO!!! said.

Try not to overanylize things, a good plan now is better than a perfect plan later. Make a decision and go with it.

It gets easier with practice.

Hoote. 

Breath.

If it's go time, you don't have to think.  Instinct and training can apply to the mind as surely as the hand.  If you have some time, say aloud, "ok, good ideas all around.  Give me five and I'll lay down how we're going to do this."  It's like public speaking, a confident pause enhances the presentation instead of the confusion caused by a flurry of ummms and ahhhhs.  Also, once you choose a path and things go terribly wrong, take it on the chin and adapt as best as possible to achieve the mission.  Then at the debrief tell your sodliers what went wrong, how it was your fault and how things will be done in the future to avoid a repeat.  It is training afterall.  Just don't make the same mistake twice.

Good luck.

Nfld_Sapper:

I realize that CAP is not suppose to prepare me to command a platoon, perhaps I did not express myself well.  I simply get the impression that everyone (higher ups) seems to think that I should know everything already.  Now perhaps this is only my point of view and I am imagining all of this  ???.

I simply feel like I am being given too much responsibility than my training allows me to take on.  Granted I have learned a lot already and the year has just begun, I only wish I had as much faith in myself as others seem to have in me.  But thankfully the more I learn and the more I speak to my troops or give lectures or even lead PT the more confidence it gives me and everytime I learn something new about myself and about what it means to be a platoon commander.

Cheers.

Back