• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

New Medic Pouch Insert Concept

westie47

Inactive
Reaction score
So I was down at my buddy, Stu's last week. He is EssTac. Anyway we came up with this concept for a medic pouch insert. I am looking for some feedback.  The concept is that you or someone else can pull the whole kit from the pouch, making it easier to access your IFAK. We made it to hold an average CF IFAK.

esstac1.jpg

Started with an Esstac Large GP...

esstac2.jpg

Added an insert, made the outside orange so it can be used as a small panel marker, or is just easier to see...

esstac3.jpg

Insert pulled completely out...

esstac4.jpg

IFAK...

It is holding the following items:

2 x 4" Israeli Dressings
1 x CAT Tourniquet
2 x PriMed Guaze
1 x QuickClot ACS
1 x Asherman Chest Seal
1 x Medical Shears
1 x Sharpie
14 ga needle
latex gloves/alcohol wipes

Feedback welcome.

How is it when being pulled out? Any snagging on the lip of the pouch?

Seems like a good piece of kit - but I have a few questions.

The TCCC qual pers are all being issued BH thigh rigs with their applicable kit in it, which can also be mounted on webbing, ruck etc.

Medics carry their own far larger bag with more stuff for use at platoon level.

Some of the kit in this can do some pretty serious damage to a patient in the hands of someone who is not trained in their use, such as using QuikClot, attempting a needle decompression, or NPA insertion.

Since anyone with the trg will already have the TCCC kit as a minimum - who will buy this?

So what's the difference between the TCCC kit and the personal IFAK? that every soldier carries?

I realize medics have their own kits as well. I don't expect anyone to buy this, that's why it says concept on the thread.

As for the needle decompression, I had that when I was working in A-Stan, basically to show that you can show what a person can load in it.

Lerch - It's not too bad, I would like to see it a bit smaller though.

I carried a TCCC pouch while in Afghan with the CF -- I ended up putting it in my day/assault pack -- since it was extremely bulky and had a lot of stuff not needed for immediate care under fire stuff.

-- needle decompression, a friend of mine who is a 18D (SF Medic) points out -- that 1) everyone should know how to landmark for it 2) a small guage hole in the chest or two after a larger hole has lead to tension pneumothorax is really little concern in the grand scheme.

I have gone to a IFAK (Endom BOMB) - and a the US Mil med roll as my "higher aid" - I had been running a Camelback BMF, with MedBak pullout for a while - but I decided that running a clinic in a firefight was not a great concept - and I could not run it and my bugout bag - I decided a smaller med kit and more ammo and frags is the way to go.

Will it be sold with all the internal Med components? Or just the pouch and removeable insert leaving the user to fill it with the necessary equipment?

49 you will get issued all of the stuff to put in it when you deploy. As far as the issued leg rig, I think carrying anything other than a pistol on your leg is not on (this is just my opinion). I found leg rigs really fatigued my legs and got caught on EVERYTHING! I would rather use a pouch, pull out style or not.

I used a leg rig once, didnt like it at all. I know we get issued all the stuff we need, i was just double checking, thanks for the reminder. ;). i have the izzie dressings and tourniquet and shears and sharpie in my kit already, but I use it for hunting as well. After an uncle got shot in an accident I decided to get a decent trauma kit with materials I know how to use, hense no needles. no use for them really.

Good concept.
For the pouch, I would put the zipper around the front edge, the should make the insert easier to pull out.

As for kit:
Tourniquet
2 dressings,
2 packed guaze,
1 Quikclot
1 NPA,
a 14 guage needle (more then 2.5 inches long)

is more then sufficient for an IFAK while deployed. No need for Qc when you are not.

TCCC pouch would hold more.

westie47 -What is on the other side of the pouch? Is there leg rig attachments? MOLLE attachments? 

Where is the AR version? LOL

Good job. Nice concept.

The pouch is a standard Esstac Large Utility. It has PALS on both sides of course. Stu told me he is going to making the insert in three different sizes. as for the AR, I'm sure he can make it in AR if you ask him. I don't know if he has any of the material right now though.

GO!!! said:
Some of the kit in this can do some pretty serious damage to a patient in the hands of someone who is not trained in their use, such as using QuikClot, attempting a needle decompression, or NPA insertion.

Most of that is issued anyway.  I am supposed to have all of that minus the quick clot and the needle; in the front right pocket of my Tac Vest.

Good luck, the TacVest rocks, nothing like trying to stuff 10 mags, 2-4 frags, 2 smoke, IFAK, plus the myriad of other items an infanteer has to carry, into the tacvest. Sorry, didn't mean to stray out of the lane.

Very nice.  I would consider getting one.  Right now, all my stuff is in a large ziplock...  The only thing I would have done differently is using only one elastic strap around the CAT, as you don't want to have to fight too much to get to it.  I am only saying that because you asked for feedback, otherwise I would have kept quiet.

I agree that after you got shot, getting a 14Ga needle into your chest and a rubber tube up your nose should not cause much more problem...

soldiers-wear.dk,

Are you just marketing your own product here? Have you asked permission from the site owner?

I just picked up a CADPAT IFAK from Hobey at ICETactical. There are two different models, one that will attach to the side of the issue Tac Vest and another that will take malice clips.

The pouch is basically two pieces with an external envelope that attaches to the vest and an internal pouch that is attched via velcro to the external piece. The pouch itself has a reinforced handle and opens clamshell style with a zipper. Internally there are reinforced elastic loops, tie down points for tape, CAT and shears as well as  a mesh pouch for misc equipment.

I will attempt to put pictures up, however if that fails then you can view the pouch on the ICE Tactical site.

Cheers
Noneck

Back