• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Gear Review - MOFOCR From CP Gear

westie47

Inactive
Reaction score
Well, after much anticipation I ordered the MOFOCR in Cadpat TW from CP Gear back in March. I wanted it before I reported for work-up training. I ended up getting the second one off the line! I managed to get it set up and had it ready for the field.  We were out for approximately 5 weeks in Wainwright and Suffield.

This rig ROCKS!!!!! I wore it all day, every day with no problems. After that whole ex, there are a couple of frayed threads and that's about it.

The set up:

Left Side: TT Large Radio Pouch, HSGI Large EOD, CP Gear Lobster Trap and two ESSTAC pistol mag pouches attached to the EOD, two CP gear double mag pouches, above those are two ESSTAC single mag pouches, CP Gear frag grenade pouch and PRR.

Right Side: CP gear Triple mag pouch, ESSTAC Minimed, HSGI Smoke, CP Gear FA pouch, HSGI Smoke, Bayonet and CP Gear frag grenade pouch above .

Back: HSGI hydration carrier modified to attach to the rig.

Positive Points:

1. It has a lot of real estate for attaching pouches, I could easily carry a sect commander's load - 10 mags (we had 5), DAGR, PRR, 521, IFAK, 2 x frag, 2 x smoke, dump pouch, Surefire, Gerber, compass, map, water, batteries, etc
2. The front map pockets rock, I had my compass in the left one and the map in the right one, much easier to access.
3. It was easily worn over the FPV and was comfortable.
4. The MOFOCR doesn't bounce around stays tight on the body.
5. Easy to access the mag pouchs, even with grenade pouches above them.
6. Pricing is reasonable, especially if you get one of the packages.
7. I attached a couple of female fastex buckles to the sides and took two 'sleeves' with fastex buckles on the yoke in order to have a quick release system for my hydration carrier. It worked awesome as I could very quickly detach my Camelbak if I had to carry a ruck/small pack, radio. I just threw it in the pack and off I went.

Points to Improve:

1. The attachment Snapdragon buckles on the front took quite a bit to get used to. I could get my rig on quick, but it took a few seconds to get the buckles done up. The system I came up with was to unzip the two map pockets and do the buckels up starting from the top and working my way down. Then just ip up the map pockets. Also, you need to keep the rig a bit loose, that helps a lot as well.
2. Matt should extend the 'loop' strip that is under the shoulder straps the whole length of the strap, and come up with a sleeve with a buckle, or just attach a female fastex buckle to the shoulder straps.

Other than that I am very happy with this rig, I will be getting one in Cadpat AR for the deployment and have encouraged my soldiers to get this rig if they are going to buy a rig.

Pouches: The new CP Gear pouches are great as well. I also had a mix of some other pouches.

IFAK: Fits all the stuff we carry perfectly. Should have another  strip of 'loop' on it though.

Double Mag Pouch: I have already done a review of this, Matt sent me the newest version and there are no concerns.

Triple Mag Pouch: Didn't get to use it too much with mags as we only got issued the basic EIS (5 mags), but it did hold the large smoke grenades we got issued (British I believe)

Frag Pouch: great pouch, they fit the M67 and the new C13 perfectly, easy to get the frags in and out!

Lobster Trap Dump Pouch: I've reviewed this pouch before, great pouch but could be a bit bigger. I encourage all inf soldiers to add a dump pouch, they have a 100 different uses.

TT Large Radio Pouch: Holds the 521 perfectly, but we didn't get issued any 521's :(

HSGI Large EOD: great all round utility pouch, I had my mag charger, extra ammo, snacks, etc in it.

HSGI Smoke Pouch: Don't lke this pouch, too hard to get the smoke out of and only takes up one channel of PALS, I am going to try the CP Smoke pouch

ESSTAC Minimed and Pistol mag pouches: What can I say about Stu's stuff, absolutely bulletproof. The Minimed holds the DAGR perfectly. However I think someone should make a dedicated DAGR pouch.

Overall, Matt has really brought CP gear around.

Pics: I have one pic but had trouble getting it up due to bandwdth problems at the 5 star hotel  ::)they have us at.  I will try and get it up later.

awsome review, thank you very much, i've been looking into this thing for sometime now. :salute:

Here's a pic:

Mofocr2.jpg

Not too shabby looking..I wouldn't be able to walk 20 feet around here without getting jacked for wearing something like that.. yay for uniformity!!!

Well as of yesterday the TF RSM said only issue Tac vest for over seas.I guess the new Tac vests are coming, A3 might be getting them in a few weeks.

TF RSM said only issue Tac vest for over seas

I've heard that a few times in meetings with RSM's about to go over.  Seems to change quite fast once over there.

Farmboy.. exactly.  MikeH.  Every TF RSM has said that it seems, but once they hit the "real world" they realize what many other armies have realized.. not everyone uses the same kit and in the same way.

We'll see.. 03-07 has a no go policy too....

Well I'd like to point out that for all his other failings the CWO Randy (this is my safety - BANG) Northrup of 1VP was agreeable to troops using decent gear prior to the their first TIC.

Well DLR was at our coy lines a couple weeks ago, they had a bunch of after market rigs to show the boys.  They are also sending some chest rigs (50) for the coy to trial. Haven't heard anything about a new TV. basically, anything we have right now is considered 'trial' until we deploy. Guys can pretty much wear whatever they want, within reason.

Well  hope that the Tac vest falls through and I CAN decide what works for me.I Know what vest I want but don't want to waste money to find out I can't wear it.

westie47 said:
Points to Improve:

1. The attachment Snapdragon buckles on the front took quite a bit to get used to. I could get my rig on quick, but it took a few seconds to get the buckles done up. The system I came up with was to unzip the two map pockets and do the buckels up starting from the top and working my way down. Then just ip up the map pockets. Also, you need to keep the rig a bit loose, that helps a lot as well.
2. Matt should extend the 'loop' strip that is under the shoulder straps the whole length of the strap, and come up with a sleeve with a buckle, or just attach a female fastex buckle to the shoulder straps.

Pouches: The new CP Gear pouches are great as well. I also had a mix of some other pouches.

IFAK: Fits all the stuff we carry perfectly. Should have another  strip of 'loop' on it though.

Lobster Trap Dump Pouch: I've reviewed this pouch before, great pouch but could be a bit bigger. I encourage all inf soldiers to add a dump pouch, they have a 100 different uses.

Thanks for putting this stuff through the paces.  :salute:

IRT points to improve on, I'll definitely take all of these into consideration for future modified versions:

-MoFOCR shoulder straps velcro underneath.  I see where you're coming from with this as per our discussion in Edmonton the other week.  Stu @ Esstac has done this with his Boar padded harness and it's not a bad system that he's worked out at all.  Something else that could be done would be to add another set of D rings on the shoulder straps, above the MOLLE webbing. That way you could anchor stuff like QR buckles, webbing, etc. for hydration carriers and other items you'd want on your back.d

-MoFOCR front buckles.  Easiest thing I've found with the MoFOCR front closure Snapdragon buckles when you're donning the vest and securing the front buckles is to take your right hand and insert it (your hand) behind the right front vest panel coming from the armpit area.  With your index finger and thumb grab the male buckle and insert it into the female, working from the bottom buckles up.  This seems to be the easiest method of securing the front buckles of the MoFOCR. 

-IFAK.  I'll do up a version with more velcro and send it your way to T&E to see if it's got enough surface area to place everything you want.

-Lobster Trap.  Point taken about your preference for a larger version.  I'll look into doing 2 versions of the Lobster Trap; the current sized one as a 'Regular' version and then a larger sized one as per your preference for a pouch about the size of the Maxpedition Larg Rollypoly.

Just finished up Shilo's site visit today and the OC's of B & C Coy's of 2VP have purchased the commander version of the MoFOCR for TF 1-08.  RSM Semenko has given the CP Gear MoFOCR, the Dropzone ModCan Vest, and the PSP DHTC Patrol Vest and DHTC Chest Rig the ok as the 'approved' aftermarket rigs for the TF 1-08 Battlegroup above and beyond what the DLR load carriage trial has provided (which include a small number of the DHTC rigs).

That is an AMAZING development and hopefully a sign of things to come...

Is there any pictures of the DHTC rigs??...Nevermind found pictures.So if it's approved where can you buy one and whats the damage?

MikeH said:
Is there any pictures of the DHTC rigs??...Nevermind found pictures.So if it's approved where can you buy one and whats the damage?

Pacific Safety Products did up a batch of these back in the 2000-2002 (?) timeframe, but have never offered them for private purchase sale.  Good luck on trying to get your hands on one as they fetch a hefty price on ebay as collectors tend to snap them up as novelty items.

In the same week CP gear stopped by with there Road show, 2 PPCLI was issued a bunch of Rigs from RCMP vests to Arktis.  Comparing them to the new MoFOCR left me with only one Opinion, if it aint Modular, its JUNK.

@Matt_Fisher

I was wondering if you could help me out with a link?

I'm currently working on a monsterpouch for 7,62-belts (1200 shots divided on to 24 belts: Guess I should call it "MMGMP" or Mad Machine Gunners Monster Pouch, huh?)

Anyway, I've been Googl'ing both my right and left arm to a state of near-arthritis trying to find someone who would sell me a small batch of black Snapdragon buckles, but so far no luck.

I'd really appreciate all the help I could get!

Regards
Troels Maaloe
Copenhagen, Denmark

I am not Matt Fisher, but the "roll your own" forum on the Lightfighter (www.lightfighter.net) boards will surely be able to hook you up if Matt can't.  You can also get tons of ideas and techniques whilst drooling over others' handiwork.

RCMP vests?  Junk?!?  I think you are mistaken, sir.

And if you can't get the sarcasm in that, you need to give your head a shake. 

Back