• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

New Flight Uniforms

dimsum

Army.ca Myth
Mentor
Reaction score
Zoomie said:
FWIW - aircrew boots are going to be brown.  Along with CADPAT two piece zoom suits.  They found a company in France that could produce
CADPAT on appropriately static resistant material.

Are the aircrew boots going to be the dark brown ones with the holes on the uppers?  And I guess that solves the "one or two-piece flight suit" question that I've heard bandied around.  I saw a 2-piece AR CADPAT flight suit here and had to do a double-take.

Zoomie said:
FWIW - aircrew boots are going to be brown.  Along with CADPAT two piece zoom suits.  They found a company in France that could produce
CADPAT on appropriately static resistant material.

Is it the same cut and style as the current two-piece suit? I can't imagine wearing anything more uncomfortable.

Really?  I find with the 1 piece I am always f**king with my gitch and t shirt.  I wear the 2 piece and only that.

Not sure where this thread started but...I did see the email about the 2 piece only concept but I thought that was kinda retarded...what about the ejection seat folks, they are restricted to 1 piece aren't they??

I'm a 1 piece flight suit fan myself. I'm glad we're finally moving to brown boots. I wouldn't be surprise to see the fighter guys be the only ones wearing 1 piece in the future.

SupersonicMax said:
We're never going to wear the 2-piece.

Actually Max - ALSE has determined that the two-piece is perfectly suitable for all aircrew - including fast air.

That being said, I don't believe that they have completely written off the idea of a one piece CADPAT suit too.  We'll just have to see.  Peerless garments should be cutting cloth as we type.

Zoomie:  It would be funny to see Harvard II/Tutor pilots ending up naked from the waist down if they eject.  Not to mention the buckle that would be right where the G-Suit inflates for the Hornet/Hawk aircrew.  I don't think it would be a popular choice for the Fighter Force, and considering the ALSE issues we have now, I don't think we need to deal with another problem at this point.  FOTEF is trialing the "new" flight suit and I can tell you it's not 2-piece.

Who came up with the idea that a 2-piece is suitable for ejection seat aircraft? 

TB said:
I'm a 1 piece flight suit fan myself. I'm glad we're finally moving to brown boots. I wouldn't be surprise to see the fighter guys be the only ones wearing 1 piece in the future.

G'Day,

I'm new and I'll be training as an AEC.  From what I've heard speaking to AEC's is that their day to day uniform is the one peice flight suit and I've gotten the impression there are mixed feelings about.  I've heard hot, sticky, not breathable, itchy material. 

Any insight would be appreciated.

Cheers

GenePool said:
Hot, sticky, not breathable, itchy material. 

That sums it up pretty good.  The 2 piece isn't much better.

All the controllers I have met wore the regular CADPAT, unless they were themselve aircrew.

I remember having a chat with one of the guys here who was an AEC back in Canada.  Apparently the only ones who wear flying suits are AWCs posted on AWACS; the rest are in CADPAT.

Dimsum said:
I remember having a chat with one of the guys here who was an AEC back in Canada.  Apparently the only ones who wear flying suits are AWCs posted on AWACS; the rest are in CADPAT.

That's for the better anyway. CADPAT is much more comfortable than the flight suit.

What? I wear my flying suit exclusively (one-piece), unless doing BFT or range-like things where combat clothing is a stated requirement. Less to put on, no buttons or belts, at least as comfortable...

As for "Hot, sticky, not breathable, itchy material": What exactly are you wearing? It's a light, breathable Nomex. You should have worn the old wool/poly flying suits that really did not breathe and smelled like wet dog when it rained.

Kids these days...

SupersonicMax said:
Zoomie:  It would be funny to see Harvard II/Tutor pilots ending up naked from the waist down if they eject.  Not to mention the buckle that would be right where the G-Suit inflates for the Hornet/Hawk aircrew.  I don't think it would be a popular choice for the Fighter Force, and considering the ALSE issues we have now, I don't think we need to deal with another problem at this point.  FOTEF is trialing the "new" flight suit and I can tell you it's not 2-piece.

Who came up with the idea that a 2-piece is suitable for ejection seat aircraft?

Before you slag it too hard, read the AETE Cat I ALSE report from the late 90's on the original 2-pc trials in e-seat aircraft.  The 2-pc actually performed better than the 1-pc...less 'ballooning' at 480+ kts ejection speed.  In fact, in one test on the sled/e.seat, the chute failed to open and the dummy (in 2-pc) slid along the tarmac and it was noted how well the 2-pc held up.

"Losing pants" is a hypothetical non-issue, unless of course, your torso harness fails...then I'd say you have bigger issues than not having any pants.  :nod:

In the end, if folks are not ordered to wear a particular suit, and they don't want to draw the kit, don't.  They shouldn't complain, however, about difficulty with the "#2 expulsion plan" at -40*C.  ;)

Cheers
G2G

Dimsum said:

By the sounds of that, good.

How come I see CF members in Ottawa walking around in buildings and on the streets in flight suits like it's there daily uniform?

Just curious.

Shooting from the hip here, but, I believe that there are certain positions that are "flight suit" authorized, ie Wing Comander and Wing CWO regardless of trade, also Wing Surgeon I believe.  Perhaps someone more in the know can clarify as well.

Certain cublicle dwellers in Ottawa have declared their organziations to be "operational" and thus wear operational clothing (flight suits, CADPAT) as their day to day office wear.

Pointing out to them that waiting in line at Timmies isn't really "operational" makes Startop dwellers sad.

Flying suits smelling (through very recent use) of JP-8 on the other hand, perhaps because you just parked your aircraft at Rockliffe and caught a cab for alast-minute meeting at NDHQ...now that is always an aviator's preferred mode of wearing the kit!  :nod:

Cheers
G2G

Back