• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

New Dress Regs 🤣

If we want to move to the realm of uselessness the C*** cap (wedge) is probably the most useless piece of headgear ever invented.

I don’t mind them at all; fit easily into my leg pocket, they breath more than a beret and I can wear them with anything except LWCC/ECU which I never wear. 2 of the best things about wearing flight suits; no beret and no boot bands.

Like a beret, there’s a “way” to wear a wedge; the folks that wear them daily mostly get it. Folks who wear them with DEU only…maybe not so much.

I don’t mind them at all; fit easily into my leg pocket, they breath more than a beret and I can wear them with anything except LWCC/ECU which I never wear. 2 of the best things about wearing flight suits; no beret and no boot bands.

Like a beret, there’s a “way” to wear a wedge; the folks that wear them daily mostly get it. Folks who wear them with DEU only…maybe not so much.
My grandfather told me that you don’t ‘wear’ a wedge, you ‘stand beside it.’ 🧠

They are late to the party. Comox SNAGS, 409 Sqn, 1980. I wore my Sqn ball cap, white coveralls and flight jacket from home to work and back all the time.

I like this picture for showing "how things should be" in an operational unit. Pic is of a crew from VP 415, fall 1968 on the ramp at RAF Kinloss (my Dad's crew, he's in the pic).

There's every rank from Senior Officer to Jnr NCM in the pic; some in DEU, some wearing forge caps, wedges, ball hats, no hats. Jackets on, off, unzippered. One of the DEU Officers even has gasp a hand in a pocket. And....who gives a shit, they're not part of the Ceremonial Guard.

Their having wets on the ramp and celebrating something operationally relevant. I doubt they would have cared if the MAG Boss was "mad" at the pic, either.

I've got a few similar pics from the LRP world (minus the beers and forge caps, sadly); none of us said "oh wait, either everyone wears their hat or NO ONE does". :LOL:

Dress.jpg

I like this picture for showing "how things should be" in an operational unit. Pic is of a crew from VP 415, fall 1968 on the ramp at RAF Kinloss (my Dad's crew, he's in the pic).

There's every rank from Senior Officer to Jnr NCM in the pic; some in DEU, some wearing forge caps, wedges, ball hats, no hats. Jackets on, off, unzippered. One of the DEU Officers even has gasp a hand in a pocket. And....who gives a shit, they're not part of the Ceremonial Guard.

Their having wets on the ramp and celebrating something operationally relevant. I doubt they would have cared if the MAG Boss was "mad" at the pic, either.

I've got a few similar pics from the LRP world (minus the beers and forge caps, sadly); none of us said "oh wait, either everyone wears their hat or NO ONE does". :LOL:

View attachment 70341

I love it! But the RCAF, and AFs in general, have a history of placing operations above apperance. Jaunty hats, first names and all that.

Sadly in the older services we are, RCN stay put, we tend to be overly concerned about what and how Nelson or Wellington did what they did and what they wore.

Again read the book Champagne Navy ... Basically fighter pilots with speed boats, with lots of guns and torpedoes.

You should see the calls in RCN alumni groups for a return to square rig... Shivers

I love it! But the RCAF, and AFs in general, have a history of placing operations above apperance. Jaunty hats, first names and all that.

Sadly in the older services we are, RCN stay put, we tend to be overly concerned about what and how Nelson or Wellington did what they did and what they wore.

Again read the book Champagne Navy ... Basically fighter pilots with speed boats, with lots of guns and torpedoes.

You should see the calls in RCN alumni groups for a return to square rig... Shivers
I think the square rig looks quite sharp on the parade square. And it doesn't need to be a jumper, it can easily be a zippered jacket or something similar to the Bundesmarine.

1650922571056.png

But that goes against the Canadian ethos that we all have to look uniformly horrible and uncomfortable on parade.

I love it! But the RCAF, and AFs in general, have a history of placing operations above apperance. Jaunty hats, first names and all that

That’s pretty true. Not sure about now but it was pretty close in the cbt arms back in the day at the Patrol/Section level; a little more relaxed especially in the field.

I guess on the ship it’s different? You’re never really away from your HOD/CHOD and the eyes of the XO, Cox’n?

Looking for a PDF copy for my Kobo ereader…that looks like a good read 🤙🏻

That’s pretty true. Not sure about now but it was pretty close in the cbt arms back in the day at the Patrol/Section level; a little more relaxed especially in the field.

I guess on the ship it’s different? You’re never really away from your HOD/CHOD and the eyes of the XO, Cox’n?

To be honest, how much variation can you get with NCD's? You either have the jacket on or jacket off. Back in the day when you could wear shorts and ugly sandals there was a bit more uniqueness.

To be honest, how much variation can you get with NCD's? You either have the jacket on or jacket off. Back in the day when you could wear shorts and ugly sandals there was a bit more uniqueness.

The navy definitely seems to offer the least privacy even on operations. I remember being on Ex in the summers, occupying an OP screen. The OP was all business, but back in the OP base the troops would relax some. Get some sun, get the green paint off for a bit. If someone wanted to “air out” in their gitch for a bit, no one really cared. Have your stuff next to you and BPT get sorted out quick of course. We still had wet messes, crew cooked rations were the bomb…no one cared if someone wore a US bush hat or jungle boots or whatever.

There isn’t a real “relax area” comparable on a warship I guess.

The navy definitely seems to offer the least privacy even on operations. I remember being on Ex in the summers, occupying an OP screen. The OP was all business, but back in the OP base the troops would relax some. Get some sun, get the green paint off for a bit. If someone wanted to “air out” in their gitch for a bit, no one really cared. Have your stuff next to you and BPT get sorted out quick of course. We still had wet messes, crew cooked rations were the bomb…no one cared if someone wore a US bush hat or jungle boots or whatever.

There is still the steel beach. Or has the safety monitors taken that away as well?

I think the square rig looks quite sharp on the parade square. And it doesn't need to be a jumper, it can easily be a zippered jacket or something similar to the Bundesmarine.

View attachment 70342

But that goes against the Canadian ethos that we all have to look uniformly horrible and uncomfortable on parade.

I think I can safely safely represent the NCMs in Navy DEU with a resounding: PASS, but thank you for the offer.

At sea it's pretty much dress for the weather and as you need, making sure you have your second layer always close to you. Second layer being your NCD coat.

Unless we're conducting an evolution like entering or leaving harbor then command will prescribe a dress.

What is the reasoning that you hate it so much?
I can't answer for @Halifax Tar , but to my mind it looks silly, and old fashioned. At least the modern RCN DEU is modeled on a suit, so it's from the realm of civilian semi-formal attire, rather than the 1800s.

I find it interesting that the two groups who want to see it brought back, are a) retired sailors, and b) people who would never have to wear it (Officers, CPO/PO). You don't hear Jr. personnel asking for the uniform back, which tells me that the people who would have to wear it, don't want it.

I can't answer for @Halifax Tar , but to my mind it looks silly, and old fashioned. At least the modern RCN DEU is modeled on a suit, so it's from the realm of civilian semi-formal attire, rather than the 1800s.

I find it interesting that the two groups who want to see it brought back, are a) retired sailors, and b) people who would never have to wear it (Officers, CPO/PO). You don't hear Jr. personnel asking for the uniform back, which tells me that the people who would have to wear it, don't want it.
For what it's worth, this officer doesn't want to see them back. I'd be embarrassed just to be seen standing next to someone wearing it.

^^
By the above reasoning all uniforms are somewhat silly.
To each you’re own.
They’ll never come back so it’s a moot discussion.

I guess that things are a bit different when you're afloat on your house 24/7, and switching off might result in you losing it and everyone aboard ;)

What is the reasoning that you hate it so much?

It's a silly old uniform with no connection to today's RCN. It screams wanna be British.

The further we can distance ourselves from our British trappings the better from this Chief's perspective.

For what it's worth the only desire I've seen for its return comes from the weird room and the ancient mariners from yesteryear.

It's a silly old uniform with no connection to today's RCN. It screams wanna be British.

The further we can distance ourselves from our British trappings the better from this Chief's perspective.

For what it's worth the only desire I've seen for its return comes from the weird room and the ancient mariners from yesteryear.
#notthewholeweirdroom

White dress uniforms look nice when they are clean but are dirt magnets. Also we would issue them in polyester or something so in addition to being cheap looking you would sweat like a lunatic. Also, who wants to look like the crackerjack box?

I also hated the executive curl return; came at the same time we had no money for fuel and parts, but some ass clown spent a few million to add a loop onto the ranks which are directional, and you will occasionally get issued two left or right ones.

People that come up with this stuff like looking at it, but don't have to wear it. I'd probably have more time to worry about what my uniform looks like if I wasn't doing 5 peoples jobs. At this point the CAF is lucky I'm actually working while at home instead of curling up into a defeated ball, let alone wearing pants and following the general grooming standard (out of habit).

When morale fails, at least there is still hate and spite to fall back on in the cubicle farm, because otherwise the bureaucracy wins.

Back