• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

New Dress Regs 🤣

The "logic" being, if it's so cold you need to wear a toque, it's cold enough you need to be wearing gloves as well.

Seriously? Did those people never attend cold weather orientation training, or miss the concept of "layering"?

Seriously? Did those people never attend cold weather orientation training, or miss the concept of "layering"?
Never let logic or common sense or even operational training get in the way of some people's obsessive desire to micromanage every aspect of people's lives.

Because as well all know, what matters most in the military isn't doing the actual job, it's looking the same when we do it. /s

Realistically I think it has nothing to do with safety or warmth, and everything to do with wanting people to wear berets rather than toques.

For some reason the CAF is obsessed with stupid hats, that serve no functional purpose. We insist that people wear a useless, floppy piece of wool on their heads because it's "professional" looking, rather than issuing a functional hat like most of our allies do. I suspect that if we had comfortable, and functional hats for daily wear, most of the toque/gloves "issues" would go away.

Wait, some people actually think berets look professional?

Do these people have eyes?
What do you propose to replace it? In my mind as long as its clean and worn correctly its fine.

Has anyone taken the time to teach people how to wear it correctly.

Yes I have eyes - and a brain.

I'll see all these dumb things and raise you "All vehicles with tarps shall remove them when the temp goes above +5C". I can Name That Loon in two notes.

I see all these dumb things and raise you "All vehicles with tarps shall remove them when the temp goes above +5C". I can Name That Loon in two notes.
All socks will have matching colour lines and All SHALL wear Olive Drab passion killers....oops I mean undergarments.

Well from the sound of it the Air Force is about to implement ball caps (it's about time imo). Also here in Comox the Wing de-linked the tuque/gloves thing so it's a non issue here.

Now if only the Army could 'get on the same team' ;)

What do you propose to replace it? In my mind as long as its clean and worn correctly its fine.

Well, in operational dress, a ballcap or field hat (whatever you guys call those floppy catpad ones) as an option.

For DEUs and the like, there's a wide range of alternative styles which could be adopted.

1650907239930.png

Also, ideally, I'd remove the requirement to wear headdress at all except for ceremonial events. You can't actually need a hat to go outside after all.

But overall, I will never be swayed from my opinion that berets are about the stupidest looking thing that I've ever been forced to place on my head. Thankfully I haven't had any requirement to do so since they authorized ballcaps as walking out dress in NCDs. Berets are just too damned ugly to be what I'd consider "professional looking".

I think something that serves a functional purpose would work, the USA seems to have figured it out.
Army-OCP-1200x800.jpg

Germany too...
Germany-1024x683.jpg

We could even go with a bit closer to home.
029971_-_7_cfsd_rcn_ball_cap.jpg

The point being, berets are dumb hats, that serve no purpose beyond showing off a shiny badge, that could easily be attached to a far more practical hat. The hats could even be coloured or have coloured backing for badges, so everybody retains their unique hat colours.

Berets look fine and are low-maintenance. Other than the backing where the badge sits, no need for reinforcements. Can be folded and stored easily.
I'll agree with the low-maintenance part, of course. I very strongly disagree on the "look fine" portion.

Berets look fine and are low-maintenance. Other than the backing where the badge sits, no need for reinforcements. Can be folded and stored easily.
If the only reason to stick with a pointless hat is that it's low maintenance, then we should just drop the pointless hat from daily use. Either replace it, or drop the requirement for hats when outside, other than for sun protection, or cold protection.

A military beret (ie. not worn like an overinflated pancake) looks sharper than a ball cap. Obviously people have different preferences; I think wedges look goofy.

As a boy scout I wore a stetson, so I have a fixed aversion to high-maintenance headgear.

Berets were chosen by the Corps for their ease of wear around and on armoured vehicles. No brims etc. I find a beret just as comfortable to wear as a togue. Being wool, they help keep the head warm when wet. Convenient and easy to stow. Unfortunately, the shaping and wearing of a beret appears to be a science reserved for combat arms types. Everyone else wears them like chef's hats. 😂

If we want to move to the realm of uselessness the C*** cap (wedge) is probably the most useless piece of headgear ever invented.

If the only reason to stick with a pointless hat is that it's low maintenance

I experienced many parts of uniform clothing that were pointless; I wouldn't start with the hat.

Doesn't CADPAT got just as many if not more large pockets as NCDs do? Not exactly hard to stick a ballcap in there.

Back