• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

New Destroyers?

C

CGY/PHX

Does anybody know when we will be getting new ones.? And if so where can I find more info.

I don't think we will be getting new "Destroyers" for a long time.  We have the new AOR's coming, I doubt the liberal government will spend more on us at the moment.

The next major acquisition for the navy (after the OPVs if this comes to pass) will be a a major program that will replace both the 280s and the CPFs but you are looking at a 2015-2020 time frame.

Ex-Dragoon, any chance we could just replace the whole navy with say, more airforce guys?  ;D Just kidding man, you know I've been assimilated.

I would wait and see what the Australians are getting.  If they can get the US to design a Smaller version of the Arleigh Burke Class Aegis destroyer then go for that. ;D

Cheers

As much as I like the AB by the time this project is under full steam there will be no doubt newer and better designs. Who knows maybe we will develop something again that gave the world pause when the CPF came out.

That is true it will probably be ten years before anything happens and that is if they replace the 280's.  Our first issuse would be to get the Halifax-class Frigate Life Extension project started. Then we can start thinking of new Destroyers. :)

Cheers

Well like I alluded to above our next generation of surface combatants will replace both the 280s and the CPFs. The first ones off the slips are already slated to be command and control and air defence vessels.

Even if we do in fact get replacements for the Destroyers, is the 2015-2020 timeline much too late??
Can the Destroyers be given yet another program similar to the TRUMP program to extend their life even further, the old girls must be getting pretty old by now.

Personally I don't think anymore can be done to keep the 280s going past then, the class has been modified and remodified, but we need AAD and a flag capability so what else can we really do but push them like we do with all of our equipment.

280's are like a real old car with a lot of new parts..... It's still an old car with old car problems.

The hulls were being put together in 1969, that makes them 36 years old!!

It definately is time to look at a replacement for them.

Now, I'm clearly not an expert.
But wouldn't a replacement for the 280's be somewhat higher (though perhaps not alot higher) than the replacement for the oilers?

I think that the AOR's need to be replaced much sooner.

We can still get the 280's to sea, but the East Coasts AOR has been in refit for the past year.

If we get the new JSS's then these ships can service as multiuse platforms which will be more beneficial to the CF. From what I understand, depending on what type of replacement is received for the AOR's, they may be able to provide us with Command and Control Platform, Sea-Lift capabilities and a troop transport if required.

The problem with AORs as flagships is you have to utilize another platform to provide some sort of defence. For Joint Ops by all means the JSS is ideal but to control fleet defence keep it on a warship not an auxillary.

Obviously there is a requirement to look at replacing both the 280's and the AOR's.

Hopefully it won't take as long as the Sea King Replacement..

Oh by then the ice caps will have melted so we can funnel all the money from the other components into the navy...get a proper dingy.

You bring up a valid point though.... The ability for the Navy to patrol and defend the Artic Coast line.

Maybe I should call the guys at Alert and have them put in a good word to Santa for next Christmas!!

Back