• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

New Demo Course in Meaford

MCG said:
I knew you were talking of more than just UXO (it is why I voiced my support for all arms demolition in a post higher up).  Basic charge & banglore torpedo should be top of the list.
You are getting yourself into a very dangerous area here.  Many of these things have the ability to function in ways you would not predict & ruin your day.  If you are not trained and cannot secure it (possibly with ANA or ANP), you should leave it.

True enough....I'll be the first to admit I'm way out my lane when it comes to demo.  I'd rather have the skillset in my sections back pocket for exactly what NL_Engineer had said.....

Here is the link to the video story on the basic demolition course that was offered in Meaford

http://www.armee.forces.gc.ca/lf/English/6_1_1_1.asp?id=1630

Here is the link to the print story about the basic demolition course that was offered in Meaford

http://www.armee.forces.gc.ca/lf/English/6_1_1.asp?id=1609

compliments of Army News

As a qualified advanced EOD tech, with multiple tours to the sand box (and after reading the article about this basic demo course) My opinion would be that this is for Canadian range use ONLY. If someone takes this course and thinks they can BIP (blow in place- the easiest and most safe way to dispose of UXO's) in Theater, they'll end up getting themselves (or others ) killed or wounded. their is more to UXO dustruction than most realize, such as what hazards the item has, and what you have to do to limit them, how to approach a UXO, where and how to place a charge, what kind of explosive to use, in what form i.e  maybe a speciality charge is best.
Not going to get into trade secret;s but their is WAY more to it than most understand, we don't "pop and drop", the advanced EOD course I took was 4 and 1/2 months long and has been extended to 6 months, and is a NATO course. What this basic course seems to be designed for is dud destruction on Canadian soil, or (very) basic charges in combat. Anyone who thinks otherwise is in way over their head.
rant ends.........now

Well, it DOES explain some of the pops and cracks in the neighbourhood...  mind you, when the Reserves were doing artillery qualification last month we could see and hear the booms all the way to Owen Sound...

soggy sapper said:
their is more to UXO dustruction than most realize, such as what hazards the item has, and what you have to do to limit them, how to approach a UXO, where and how to place a charge, what kind of explosive to use, in what form
. . . and every piece of ordinance is different.

Back