• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

New CF helmet in testing

If I recall, our helmets aren't designed to have helmet pads stuck right into the helmet itself as they don't provide much "stand off" distance.  You know, the distance that your actual head is from the hemlet itself.  Thing is, when a bullet or whatever hits that helmet it will dent through, the pads being stuck right to the helmet won't absorb/protect from that deformation and will most likely cause injuries.  Imagine a construction helmet without its suspension system and how much it would hurt to have a brick dropped on it.  Same concept.

I have an ops core pad set that comes with an inner ring, this has the same stand off as you would expect with the issue helmet suspension but with all the comfort of a pad system.

I also recall seeing a power point or something from CRDC T-Dot that showed Canadian test of our own pad system.

Reading the bits about "lobster tails" and Greek helmets simply tells me we are reinventing the wheel yet again. WRT helmet pads, even that was known in ancient times, ancient helmets have holes and bits of fiber that would correspond to our idea of helmet suspension, and in the Middle Ages, a knight or man at arms had a piece of kit which resembled a straw filled donut to place between his head and the helmet...

Of course there are a few differences since these ancient helmets were to protect you from being bashed in the head with a mace or sliced by an edged weapon, but overall the principles are remarkably similar.

Bzzliteyr said:
If I recall, our helmets aren't designed to have helmet pads stuck right into the helmet itself as they don't provide much "stand off" distance.  You know, the distance that your actual head is from the hemlet itself.

Presuming that one's helmet is the proper size for one's head and does not shrink when the issued suspension is removed, the stand-off distance with pads will be precisely the same. The only other factor that could account for any claimed reduction in stand-off distance would be an increase in skull size.

I do not buy the stated reason for "pad=bad" claims.

Show me the comprehensive tests with both.

Show me the comprehensive tests with both for all other likely injuries as well.

I rather doubt that the US Armed Forces would change to pad suspension systems if they did not provide, at minimum, equal protection.

This seems, to me, to be more Clothe The Soldier Tac Vest/Small Pack/Rucksack reputational protectionism than anything.

Thucydides said:
Reading the bits about "lobster tails" and Greek helmets simply tells me we are reinventing the wheel yet again. WRT helmet pads, even that was known in ancient times, ancient helmets have holes and bits of fiber that would correspond to our idea of helmet suspension, and in the Middle Ages, a knight or man at arms had a piece of kit which resembled a straw filled donut to place between his head and the helmet...

Of course there are a few differences since these ancient helmets were to protect you from being bashed in the head with a mace or sliced by an edged weapon, but overall the principles are remarkably similar.

On the Bright side when we finally decide to "go Roman" on the barbarians we will be looking the part.

Bzzliteyr said:
If I recall, our helmets aren't designed to have helmet pads stuck right into the helmet itself as they don't provide much "stand off" distance.  You know, the distance that your actual head is from the hemlet itself. 
It is not that the pads do not provide enough standoff but that they transmit the shock directly to the skull when the helmet shell deforms on projectile impact.  With the suspension system, the air gap between helmet shell & head does not transmit this impact.

The LCMM has access to experimental data to show this.  The tests were done by these guys:  http://www.drdc-rddc.gc.ca/drdc/en/centres/drdc-valcartier-rddc-valcartier/

MCG said:
It is not that the pads do not provide enough standoff but that they transmit the shock directly to the skull when the helmet shell deforms on projectile impact.  With the suspension system, the air gap between helmet shell & head does not transmit this impact.

As I wrote: "Thing is, when a bullet or whatever hits that helmet it will dent through, the pads being stuck right to the helmet won't absorb/protect from that deformation and will most likely cause injuries."

There are actually different types of pads out there.. mine are memory foam type but there are some that are made of different materials.  I am curious as Loachman said, how many US soldiers have been affected by the lack of protection provided/not provided by a pad system?

I know the first response will most likely be "different helmet, different factors".. but I am pretty sure the US MICH is close to our helmet, no?

MPMick said:
Interesting, the thing I want most in a helmet is something I can wear comfortably for hours, or days if need be, without giving me a splitting head-ache.

We used to have something like that once  8)

hat78.jpg

On the down side it also made a lousy container for shaving with and the ballistic protection left something to be desired.  8)

Danjanou said:
We used to have something like that once  8)

hat78.jpg

On the down side it also made a lousy container for shaving with and the ballistic protection left something to be desired.  8)

...but you could pretend you were Robin Hood.    ;D

Does anyone know if this is actually going to be implemented?

As I can see a few problems:

Improper sight picture
Fatigue leading to laziness when it's necessary to keep your head up
The lack of breathability leading to more heat casualties
Parts going missing
Less manouvreabilityDisrupt ones abilities to hear as well or have as good of directional hearing
Just more weight when having to run
And what about grabbing a quick drink?

I see it being a good piece of kit for anyone (with space) operating with vehicles where they can be exposed from time to time and no need to dismount at short notice.

I also understand that people have the best of intentions, but more isn't always better. I want to be comfortable, extremely mobile with as much breathability in my kit as possible.

Back