• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

New ballistic eyewear

R031button said:
he was a bit miffed when we asked how we were supposed to see the enemy and return fire.

Minor detail, don't worry about it.

R031button said:
Last time I heard a Bioscience Officer he was telling us that our helmets aren't bulletproof so we shouldn't stick our heads up in firefights, he was a bit miffed when we asked how we were supposed to see the enemy and return fire.

I find that a maroon beret is more effective anyways 8)

R031button said:
Last time I heard a Bioscience Officer he was telling us that our helmets aren't bulletproof so we shouldn't stick our heads up in firefights, he was a bit miffed when we asked how we were supposed to see the enemy and return fire.

Well, I am surprised he didn't know the obvious solution to this problem;  see pic below.

;D

The new googles were massed issued in Pet, along with a Gerber belt cutter.

On 1-10 were given a choice of 3 different googles to wear (at least crews and back-up crews anyway).  They were given to us outright as far as I know.

CombatDoc said:
Yes.  Despite the LCF and flashy advertising, the other eyewear hasn't been tested to CF standards.  Talk to a Bioscience Officer if you want to learn more about this.  However, folks still risk their vision with aftermarket BEW.
The current issue BEW (Revision Sawfly) is aftermarket PPE. The difference being it has been tested by the bioscience dudes.  Just because you can buy stuff on the market doesn't make it inferior just makes it easier for soldiers to procure, far ahead of the national procurement process

Isn't there an issue with a mbr who is injured, but was not wearing approved/issued kit when it comes to how DVA might/might not cover them, etc?  Lets say you are wearing aftermarket BEW, incident happens and mbr sustains an eye injury.  During the course of the "what happened and how?" questions to whatever process would review the incident, its discovered mbr was wearing non-issued/approved BEW.  There could be an argument made that had mbr been wearing approved (implies 'tested and met min requirements) kit, 'injury may not have happened'.

Its gets worse for the member if there was a directive "non-issued kit is strictly forbidden" at any level from the CofC. 

Eye In The Sky said:
Isn't there an issue with a mbr who is injured, but was not wearing approved/issued kit when it comes to how DVA might/might not cover them, etc?  Lets say you are wearing aftermarket BEW, incident happens and mbr sustains an eye injury.  During the course of the "what happened and how?" questions to whatever process would review the incident, its discovered mbr was wearing non-issued/approved BEW.  There could be an argument made that had mbr been wearing approved (implies 'tested and met min requirements) kit, 'injury may not have happened'.

Its gets worse for the member if there was a directive "non-issued kit is strictly forbidden" at any level from the CofC.

What if I'm in the training area (or deployed) using a blue rocket and an accident happens (ha, no really) and I'm injured.
I'm not wearing my frag vest or BEWs, would I still be covered?
Or if I'm sleeping, eating, took my glasses off to clean them.
Driving while on leave from deployment.

This was the feedback from sisip when some of us asked about the rumor (on tour) about them not covering us if we get injured wearing oakleys.

Well, I think this is where common sense comes into play.  It is normal or more importantly *required* to wear PPE in the Blue Rocket?  (excluding gas mask at times  :-X)

Your examples, while realistic, don't incoporate the aspect "was mbr required to/supposed to be wearing "item A" during the incident?  If the answer is no, then non-issue.

Lets use a more realistic example, wearing non-issued BEW on the range.  Mbr sustains eye injury.  Now what?  Is the mbr at fault for wearing non-issued/approved/tested kit?  What if the range orders stated "no non-issued BEW shall be worn"?  During the range safety brief, Range OIC states "only issued kit is to be worn".  All normal stuff, IMO.  Mbr, despite this, wears his/her aftermarket kit that is not approved.

What was the feedback from SISIP?  What is the DVA policy for "mrb was injured on duty, but was not wearing approved kit which may have prevented injury"?

Things to consider, IMO. 

*I am not advocating that the issued kit is better, or worse, simply that it is issued and approved and the mbr would have sustained injury while wearing it.  To me, mbr exercisd due diligence and should not be held at fault for the kit not doing its job.  I'd be curious to see DVA/SISIP policy on what they think of 'injury during service, mbr was wearing unauthorized PPE/kit".

If the non-issued eyewear conforms and exceeds the same standards that the Revision Sawfly do, where's the problem? It opens up a can of worms. How can you prove conclusively that the Sawfly would have even stopped the fragments? Our kit isn't indestructible and will fail, just like every other piece of COTS or MOTS gear. The US Army has an approved protective eyewear list, which is designed to get more people to wear eyepro as individual soldier comfort can come into play here. I think its more important they wear something than deal with uncomfortable glasses.

EITS, I think with your example you could charge the member for disobeying a lawful command. But would you want to? He's already suffered an eye injury and probably cares more about that then the charge.

R031button said:

As a Bioscience Officer, I'll see if I can get some MacAdam Shield Shovels out of war stocks for use.  ;D

Dirt Digger said:
As a Bioscience Officer, I'll see if I can get some MacAdam Shield Shovels out of war stocks for use.  ;D

While you're at it get out the Ross Rifle as well, would ya?

All joking aside, I also wonder what VAC  would say if the investigation revealed the member was wearing non issued BEW.

PuckChaser said:
If the non-issued eyewear conforms and exceeds the same standards that the Revision Sawfly do, where's the problem?

First off, as I said, I am not advocating they are or aren't just as good or even better pieces of kit, I am just questioning how it may affect things like DVA, LTD, etc benefits/coverage. 

The difference would be simply that the non-issued kit was not 'approved by the CF' for use.  This is not related to if it conforms to/exceeds the standard, just that it is not issued. 

How can you prove conclusively that the Sawfly would have even stopped the fragments?

Well, I can't.  If its not tested by CF authorities and approved for use, it remains 'officically' underdetermined if it is 'to standard' [IAW CF definition/standards).  I don't know the procedure and policy on how kit is tested/approved, so am not even going to stray into that lane. 

Our kit isn't indestructible and will fail, just like every other piece of COTS or MOTS gear.
  Agree 100%.  I'm just wondering what the people who make decision on DVA/LTD/etc issues look at the issue.

The US Army has an approved protective eyewear list, which is designed to get more people to wear eyepro as individual soldier comfort can come into play here. I think its more important they wear something than deal with uncomfortable glasses.

This makes alot of sense and should also be applied to things like boots, IMO.  I recall a thread on boots where, IIRC, Vern spoke about the issue of it being tied to PWGSC/Industry Canada type issues as to why this will not happen.  AFAIK, isn't Revision based in Qc? (aka a Cdn product). 

EITS, I think with your example you could charge the member for disobeying a lawful command. But would you want to? He's already suffered an eye injury and probably cares more about that then the charge.

Someone probably could, if they wanted to, charge the mbr.  Personally I'd probably be in mindset you are (would you want to) but considering the 'deterrent effect' that is factored in to charges, who can say others would be of a different mindset? 

Just looking at the non-issued kit discussion from a different angle; maybe there is nothing to it, but who knows what DVA and others think on the issue. 

Dirt Digger said:

As a SME, even if in general terms, what 'risks' are involved with non-issue kit, specifically PPE?  Any input would add value to our 'spec fire' on the topic.

Eye In The Sky said:
Well, I think this is where common sense comes into play.  It is normal or more importantly *required* to wear PPE in the Blue Rocket?  (excluding gas mask at times  :-X)

I believe in some cases people think along these lines. On training we had a CSM that had us sleeping in full FFO (Frag vest, tacvest, BEWs, gloves, helmet on our heads but chin strap undone, kinda tilted back) because "that's how they did it overseas".

It's not at all unrealistic to suggest the chain of command may very well issue an order that members WILL wear BEWs and frag vests while in blue rockets.
Again stranger things have happened right?

There's an easy fix for this. Contact SISIP and ask them.
if I take a stick in the eye while wearing no BEWs or non-issued BEWs will I still be covered?

It was 2006 last time I was in a group that got a hold of them and asked (WRT BEWs and aftermarket body armor and plates) about coverage. They said insurance is insurance whether we're in Afghanistan or in Canada, wearing our gear or not. Killed with an IED or a drunk driver.

But don't quote me, give them a shout and confirm. Would be interesting to hear the results.

Been discussed a few times here,  VAC, SISIP, etc don't care what you were wearing at the time of the injury and it has no effect on coverage/payment.  I know a few people involved in IED/suicide bomber blasts(2006-2011), and they were wearing Oakleys, one had no BEW on, some had skydex/oregon aero pads in the helmets, etc and none of that had any bearing for their medical coverage, payments, etc.

-Skeletor- said:
Been discussed a few times here,  VAC, SISIP, etc don't care what you were wearing at the time of the injury and it has no effect on coverage/payment.  I know a few people involved in IED/suicide bomber blasts(2006-2011), and they were wearing Oakleys, one had no BEW on, some had skydex/oregon aero pads in the helmets, etc and none of that had any bearing for their medical coverage, payments, etc.

I'm going to echo this if only to put this rumor to rest.

I've personally made the calls to both agencies:

VAC covers your injuries in a special duty area and while on duty in Canada.  They don't care if you are wearing all your PPE in a blue rocket, on a fighting patrol in the in a pink tu-tu or flying over Libya wearing nothing but a thin coat of CLP and a smile.  A service injury is a service injury is a service injury.  They don't see "Bloggins sustained an eye injury while wearing non-issue PPE" they see "Bloggins sustained an eye injury."

SISIP covers you on civvy side as well as while on duty, and you don't wear your issued BEW's while you go about your daily routine, do you?

The specter of losing benefits due to  non-issue kit is one that's been trotted out before and it holds no weight.

As for charges for disobeying a lawful command, that is plausible.  However depending on the severity of the injury the CoC could use the injured pers as an example.  "See?  That's what happens when you don't wear proper kit!" or something along those lines.  Arguably just as effective as charging the one eyed guilty bastard.

Yup, I called my troop leader out on that on in theater in 2010.  I told him not to use the "if you don't wear our stuff you'll die and your family blah blah no coverage..." on the troops.  The next day he elaborated.  It was one of the only times he ever took my experience into consideration.. (sniff sniff).

Back