• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

New ballistic eyewear

slayer/raptor

Reaction score
Anyone hear anything about new ballistic glasses?  We were told to go to base clothing tomorrow to get our new pair issued.  Its the first I hear about it, I'm wondering what the improvement or changes are.

Revision Desert Locust in Flat Dark Earth (colour) with two lenses.

They have an insert so you can remove your inserts from your ballistics and place them in the goggles. Better than the previous system of trying to wedge your glasses under the old snow/sand/dust goggles.

Brihard said:
What's the scale of issue going to be?

Hopefully we get some for those of us deployed, first. Then again, I could add it to the book of stuff we haven't gotten on ADREPs here...

About bloody time. I remember several guys in my platoon trialled these on 3-08.

Puckchaser, I just don't see that happening - trying to get stuff has been such a gong show.

I got myself a pair of Wiley-X XL-1s with transition lenses. They look a little silly for normal wear, but the transition lens thing is awesome, no screwing around trying to change lenses. And I always found on Revision Sawflys that for some reason the clear lenses always fog regardless of what I did to them. I used the stuff issued, I even tried Cat Crap (which is made for ski goggles primarily) and it didn't work either. Another nice thing about the XL-1s is they have a foam gasket you can put in that makes them more like googles in dusty environments.

Redeye said:
Another nice thing about the XL-1s is they have a foam gasket you can put in that makes them more like googles in dusty environments.

The foam gasket melts to your face, unless they have a different type of foam than the Wiley-X ones in 2007. There were banned specifically by TSO in Kandahar.

PuckChaser said:
The foam gasket melts to your face, unless they have a different type of foam than the Wiley-X ones in 2007. There were banned specifically by TSO in Kandahar.

Interesting. Didn't know that - I'll have to read more into it!

Wouldn't ballistic eyewear be one of those pieces of PPE that shouldn't be allowed to be individually bought and used on deployment?

Redeye said:
I got myself a pair of Wiley-X XL-1s with transition lenses.

How good are these at blocking light, and then returning to clear once it gets dark out? I'm looking for something to use as riding glasses that I don't have to take off every time I get off my bike when we stop for a break.

captloadie said:
Wouldn't ballistic eyewear be one of those pieces of PPE that shouldn't be allowed to be individually bought and used on deployment?

Many guys (myself included) done a lot of experimenting with different brands. Our OC finally came out and said if we were gonna wear something different; we had to provide the specifics of the brand and ensure it met our CF standard.

I found eyewear was much like boot's...not a one style suited all people in all occupations.

We trialed IIRC 4 pairs in total back in 08-09. I honestly preferred the ballistic eyewear with yellow lens over everything else.

captloadie said:

There is, as I understand it, several acceptable brands/models out there - Oakley, Revision, ESS, and Wiley-X all make acceptable product. The big thing that's in the US version of Safety Digest is to make sure you get them from a reputable source, not the local bazaar, so you're getting the genuine article.

ModlrMike, they're brilliant, the transition's quick like you see in the ads. My main reason for getting them was for riding, not so much for here.

captloadie said:
Yes.  Despite the LCF and flashy advertising, the other eyewear hasn't been tested to CF standards.  Talk to a Bioscience Officer if you want to learn more about this.  However, folks still risk their vision with aftermarket BEW.

CombatDoc said:
Yes.  Despite the LCF and flashy advertising, the other eyewear hasn't been tested to CF standards.  Talk to a Bioscience Officer if you want to learn more about this.  However, folks still risk their vision with aftermarket BEW.
PPE.

Fixed that for you.

CombatDoc said:

Last time I heard a Bioscience Officer he was telling us that our helmets aren't bulletproof so we shouldn't stick our heads up in firefights, he was a bit miffed when we asked how we were supposed to see the enemy and return fire.

Back