• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Nerds in the forces

Q: What happens when a guy stares up a composite particle's skirt for too long?
A: He winds up having to deal with a raging Hadron.

Jim Seggie said:
I do own the complete Star Wars package

Episodes 1-6 or 4-6?  And, for 4-6, Special Edition or classic?

And what about the Holiday Special?

I may or may not have at least 100 (closer to 200-300)transformers in boxes downstairs.

I will admit to having several animated series on DVD, mostly DC stuff.

I may or may not have also watched an episode of classic My Little Pony for trying to confirm what tvtropes said that it can be pure Nightmare Fuel.

EDIT: The wife and I also argue about the tenth vs elevnth Doctor.

- half my posts here are concerning little model tanks

- if I am the first one in the lunch room, i turn the TV to Star trek, and then when one of the cool kids show up, I quickly change the channel to the news

- my winter project is to ready my motorbike for the zombie apocalypse

- i know about the zombie apocalypse

- i have made reference to the "kobayashi maru" in official correspondence

- co-workers cannot conceal their surprise when they meet my hot wife

- after reading this thread, I started googling binary numbers so I could get the jokes better

Did my BCompSc degree and currently work for an internet provider. Hopefully will get to find out how much of that translates into MARS.

a Sig Op said:
(PS, it's a foregone conclusion most replies will come from sig ops)

Why do you assume nerd-ism is only exclusive to the NCM ranks? What about Sig O's or CELE's?  ;D

I'm sure some of our bosses are closet nerds as well... ;)

IBM said:
Why do you assume nerd-ism is only exclusive to the NCM ranks? What about Sig O's or CELE's?  ;D

I'm sure some all but 2 or 3 of our bosses are closet nerds as well... ;)

Fixed that for you.  ;D

a Sig Op said:
A shame that joke isn't nearly as funny in hex. (If you understand why, you qualify for this thread)
...there are 0x00000002 types of people in this world. Those who understand hex and those who did math instead and concluded that there are actually 0 types of people in this world.

I can't believe it: so here I was, coasting the forum. I click on this link, and it goes to a certain thread. I look further into the matter, and sure enough (in a dirty vicious move) I end up learning something.  :threat:

I learned the basic principals of Binary and Hex. I just wanted to read a forum post, not become part of one! Learning and edumacation strike again!  :blotto:

PS: this is a nice little web page that someone wrote up showing you what's what:      http://www.codeproject.com/KB/tips/binhex.aspx

I have a Linux mug in my cupboard. Its my favorite mug. Drinking coffee from it after work sends all the bad stuff to /dev/null .
RPGs were my past time while in high school, and I still occasionally daydream of putting my old group together. 
My legacy X-Box is modded and my whole family uses it to watch movies now. 
Doctor who is currently my favorite TV show.
I run a Linux Server in my basement and I telnet to it just to hang out and talk to someone who gets my jokes.
I can quote most of "Quest for the holy grail" (not all of it, I'm not that Nerdy)

Ah....but you don't have a HEXBUG!!!

If I'm a nerd, does that mean I have to stop chatting to the almost six foot tall good looking blonde?

Jim Seggie said:
If I'm a nerd, does that mean I have to stop chatting to the almost six foot tall good looking blonde?

Not if she is deflatable  ;)

airmich said:
Not if she is deflatable  ;)

Now you've got me wondering what they/he were chatting about...... ;D

(nevermind......)

Jim Seggie said:
GRRRRRRR >:D LOL she is not >:D.....good one! Well played sir!

Since I just picked on you, I won't take offence to the "sir".  :D

And thank you for having a sense of humour, I sometimes forget my audience.

Is there a significant difference between a "nerd" and a "geek"?

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/nerd?view=uk
nerd
noun  informal

a foolish or contemptible person who lacks social skills or is boringly studious: I was a serious nerd until I discovered girls and cars
a single-minded expert in a particular technical field:  a computer nerd

Origin:1950s (originally US): of unknown origin

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/view/entry/m_en_gb0330070#DWS-048989
geek
noun  informal

an unfashionable or socially inept person.
[usually with modifier] a knowledgeable and obsessive enthusiast:a computer geek

Origin: late 19th century: from the related English dialect word geck 'fool', of Germanic origin; related to Dutch gek 'mad, silly'

Word trends: Is being a geek something to be proud of? A few decades ago the answer would almost certainly have been no : the word was a cruel and critical label attached to clever, but socially awkward, people: train-spotters, computer geeks, and unpopular college students. Then in the 1990s everything changed. The computer industry helped many geeks to achieve great success, and the wider perception of geeks began to shift. Being a geek was suddenly a positive thing , suggesting an admirable level of knowledge, expertise, and passion: geeks could do ‘cool stuff’. It's now common for people to be self-proclaimed or self-confessed geeks, with geekiness no longer confined to the world of science and technology (a music geek with an awesome vinyl collection,  the kind of film that every true movie geek would give five stars). Nerds have undergone a similar change of image but to a lesser extent, with some negative terms such as boring and pathetic still commonly attached to the word

Obviously there is overlap in these species.

IBM said:

I'm sure some of our bosses are closet nerds as well... ;)

Nerds and geeks among bosses are probably not only of the closet variety.

Since the OP mentioned his nerdishness was partially defined by his having an opinion of "Kirk vs Picard", it brought to mind the first time that I was made aware (completely against my will and probably at the expense of some of my remaining sanity) of the existence of the "The Next Generation".  It was in the 90s, in Germany.  Two fellow officers and I spent a Saturday traveling along the Mosel sampling (and purchasing) wines.  Shortly after we got on the autobahn, the other two started chatting at great length about "Star Trek" - it seemed that they had both viewed a new episode.  While I did not begrudge anyone their interest in that (then relatively new) television fantasy, having to listen to their disection of the greater meaning of the Star Trek universe all day long was a bit much.  That day trip also seem to open the flood gates and these two officers afterwards seemed to converse about this subject quite frequently during coffee break at work.  One of them (my immediate boss back then) even took to occasionally referring to me as "Number 1" and directing me to "make it so".  Their nerdishness didn't seem to affect their military careers; one is now a Colonel and the other has attained flag rank.

I was going to say that "I am not now, nor have I ever been a nerd" however someone would probably chime in that by using the Oxford definitions I have demonstrated one of the studious traits of a nerd.

OK.

That just qualified you as a Geek Nerd.

(Qualified as per Section 21 of Para 3 in Secret Documents filed away in Department of Redundant Redundancies.)

Back