• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Nerds in the forces

geeks_and_nerds.png

Once I saw this topic, I had wanted to go ahead and update my geek code, but holy hell is that thing outdated. I refuse to post something that displays my opinion on Doom.

But anyways, I'll be joining some of my shipmates in a Pathfinder (Think D&D version 3.75) game starting up next weekend. The GM is the same guy that the XO has appointed the wardroom Warhammer Officer. Yeah, we've got enough geeks to go around, and our fair share of nerds.

So let's see if I got this right...
Binary 10 number base
then someone come's along with
Hex 16 number base. Correct.
Then when nobody's looking anoth-
er guy come's up with Octogon a 7
number base. Then someone throw's
in a de-qualifier. Then you have a
stack-overflow based on your geek
code assembly bloc. Thereby ending
up with Linux/Unix. I'am going back to
my Abacus. You guy's are on your own.
Cheer's,,
Scoty B
As a Certified MCSE I disqualify myself.

Binary is 2 base, not 10 base (Hex serving the wonderful purpose of acting as binary short hand, representing 16 binary bits, and irritating people when they're trying to work with BCD but accidentally convert their numbers into hex), but good try. You get a commerative star trek christmas ornament as a consolation prize.

Oh, and octal is an 8 base, not 7 base.

Actually, a homemade abacus can be a wonderful tool for teaching different number systems...

--

Binary 0-1
Octal 0-1-2-3-4-5-6-7
Decimal 0-1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9
Hexidecimal 0-1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-A-B-C-D-E-F

-- Conversion Examples

Binary - 0
Octal - 0
Decimal - 0
Hex - 0

Binary - 1010
Octal - 12
Decimal - 10
Hex - A

Binary - 1111
Octal - 17
Decimal - 15
Hex - F

And it's already been pointed out, you don't need to understand binary to be a nerd... join us....

Jim Seggie said:
OK smart a**es....how do you fix stupid reindeer??? huh???

You hold a jar of disinfectant in one hand, and a very sharp knife in the other......they learn...

I was going to say patience, undertsanding, and creativity/flexibility in teaching methods...

But I've never taught reindeer...

gcclarke said:
The GM is the same guy that the XO has appointed the wardroom Warhammer Officer. Yeah, we've got enough geeks to go around, and our fair share of nerds.

WTF?

I know wargaing is an approved means of training (think Contact 3 to Tacops CF for the land force) but Warhammer?

It teaches us lessons we can all use... like... "GET BEHIND COVER!"

And "Da red wuns go fastuh!"

OK, so my less socially acceptable side is coming out; I was very much into Avalon Hill and SPI wargames (excuse me; Combat Simulations) and highly approved of systems like Contact 3 or Tacops CF since they actually do simulate combat in a reasonably realistic manner.  Most modern wargames I see in the shop really don't pass my sniff test (and I am not a big fan of first person shooters, since that is too much like work....)

Some friends have tried to explain the Warhammer 40,000 game, but my eyes glaze over....

Ah the Evil Empire, aka Games Workshop 40k game sysytems, pretty models and don't like the unrelaistic rules, wait six months and they'll change them just enough to make all your rules books obsolete and force you to buy new ones.

GW probably kept miniature wargaming alive and well during ther onslaught of D&D, PC games and board games but's that all I'll give them. great corporate model, but too dumbed down for even a beer and pretzel wargame system.

Crap I think I just outed myself as a nerd.  :-[

I prefer the term "fatbeard."

As we just finished a good romp through the Cthulhu Mythos and are currently burning our way through Shadowrun 4 and also enjoy the occasional game of Amish Monopoly (Settler's of Catan  ;D) there's enough proof of a number of us around here as well. I've gamed on every tour, many exercises, every course I can remember. I used to know the Avalon Hill catalog by heart (ah Panzerfaust's and Hummel's, where have you gone?).

I don't speak hex or have a geek code (I don't even know what any of that means!) but I'm pretty sure I still qualify.

Wook

Back