• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Nerds in the forces

chrisf

Army.ca Veteran
Inactive
Reaction score
Alright, so in the last 10-15 years, it's become somewhat socially acceptable to be a nerd... between the propogation of the internet, and the discovery channel, people have discovered it's ok, even marginally cool to be a bit of geek...

So anyone who cares to admit to being a nerd, stand up and say so!

I'm a nerd! I played dungeons and dragons in my youth, currently have an oppinion on Kirk vs Picard, and have considered adding wireless access to my toaster... I'm also a decorated* member of the Canadian forces....

So if you're a nerd, admit to it! Say it to the world!

(PS, it's a foregone conclusion most replies will come from sig ops)

(*Any and all medals awarded to "a Sig Op" are purely for decorative purposes and should not be construed as being a useful or contributing member of society)

a Sig Op said:
(*Any and all medals awarded to "a Sig Op" are purely for decorative purposes and should not be construed as being a useful or contributing member of society)

Best post, ever!

Ok, maybe not 'ever'. At least this week.

a Sig Op said:

I'll never forget you guys playing that stupid pirate ship card game thing on our fives.

BTW, not just Sig Ops. The garrison here has a games club that hosted a WoW board game tourney (they sent out a base-wide email) ::)

I'm more of an army and gun nerd if anything.

a Sig Op said:
currently have an opinion on Kirk vs Picard,

McGill dropout with a toupee vs a bald frenchman with an English accent.

But what's your GeekCode?  If you've never had a GeekCode you're not really a nerd.

-----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
Version: 3.1
GG d>++ s+(+):(-) a+ C(++)$ ULC() P L(+)>$ E(----) W(++) N(++) !o K--() w() !O !M(--) V() PS(+) PE() Y(+) !PGP(--) t() 5(++) !X(--) R>+ tv--(--) b(+++)>$ DI++(++) D>++ G(+) e(++) h(---) r(+++) y(+++)
------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------

Beadwindow 7 said:
I'm more of an army and gun nerd if anything.

Hide behind laser eye surgery all you want, you know you're one of us...

I understand nerd jokes, mostly from the 2 years in a Computers program in College. I wouldn't say I'm a full out nerd, I game a lot, but I even it off with sports and MMA training.

Sigh....

I may or may not have once Compared the Terrain of Afghanistan to Tattooine (from Star Wars) on a TV Interview......  :-[

Said video made its way around the unit... and then the Redux Version complete with sound effects and music probably hit almost every Garrison from Halifax to Comox.....

Oh well... at least its a Legacy.... (I was hoping for a Bravery Medal or Mention in Dispatches, but a legacy is a legacy...)

So yeah... I definitely Qualify as a Nerd......

And for the record, I'm a Trucker... so Nerds exist in all trades...  :blotto:

Tommy said:
Sigh....

I may or may not have once Compared the Terrain of Afghanistan to Tattooine (from Star Wars) on a TV Interview......  :-[

So yeah... I definitely Qualify as a Nerd......

And for the record, I'm a Trucker... so Nerds exist in all trades...  :blotto:

Youtube link?

Beadwindow 7 said:
BTW, not just Sig Ops.

Yep.  I remember a bunch of Medics in Pet who used to spend most Saturdays involved in Dungeons and Dragons marathons. 

No, I wasn't one of them.  ;D

I have a variety physics/math formulas and calculus proofs written all over the walls of the spare room I use as an "office." Also a ton of Excel formulas that I was using for a computer science course. This semester I began adding finance formulas (still just math of course). I'm hoping to add some chemistry flavoured art next semester.

But, I am a very unmotivated nerd, and can say with great confidence that the decorating is all that's been accomplished in that office haha.

PuckChaser said:
I wouldn't say I'm a full out nerd, I game a lot, but I even it off with sports and MMA training.

Unfortunately my experience so far with martial arts only strengthens the argument that I'm a nerd. My club is not an "MMA" club, it just has jiu jitsu, muay thai, karate, wrestling, and a decorated competitive kickboxing team ;D. All the meatheads seem to have stayed away because it wasn't "MMA," and instead we're left with a professional stuntman, a cartoonist, and a wealth of science and engineering nerds from MUN. I think I prefer the company of nerds anyway haha ;D

I am not sure if I qualify does this count toward nerdiness?

3 computers
1 file server
2 modified original xbox's
1 PS3
1 Wii
smaller in stature than the average male, check
wears glasses, check
plays WoW, check

Entire house wired with cat5, all media on the file server available to all hardwired items along with wireless connection to my and  9er domestic's PDA's which we also use as ebook readers.

And to think I did not even own 1 computer before '98 I am beginning to believe that we may have been enslaved by modern technology.

Also there are 10 types of people that understand binary.

Nerd Season

A truck driver, hauling a tractor-trailer load of computers, stops for a beer. As he approaches the bar, he sees a big sign on the door that says, "COMPUTER NERDS NOT ALLOWED - ENTER AT YOUR OWN RISK!" He enters and sits down.

The bartender comes over to him, sniffs, and says that he smells kind of nerdy. He then asks him what he does for a living. The truck driver explains to him that he drives a truck, and the smell is just from the computers he is hauling. The bartender serves him a beer and says, "OK, truck drivers aren't nerds."

As he is sipping his beer, a skinny guy walks in wearing a pair of glasses with tape around the middle, a pocket protector with twelve kinds of pens and pencils, and a belt that is at least a foot too long. The bartender, without saying a word, pulls out a shotgun and blows the guy away. The truck driver asks him why he did that.

The bartender replied, "Don't worry. The computer nerds are in season because they are overpopulating Silicon Valley. You don't even need a license."

So the truck driver finishes his beer, gets back in his truck, and heads for the freeway. Suddenly, he veers to avoid an accident, and the load shifts. The back door breaks open and computers spill out all over the road. He jumps out and sees a crowd already forming, snatching up all of the computers. The scavengers are comprised of engineers, accountants and programmers - computer geeks. Each of them wearing the nerdiest clothes he has ever seen.

He can't let them steal his whole load. So remembering what happened in the bar, he pulls out his gun and starts blasting away, killing several of them instantly. A highway patrol officer comes zooming up and jumps out of the car screaming at him to stop.

The truck driver said, "What's wrong? I thought computer nerds were in season."

"Well, sure," says the patrolman, "But you can't bait 'em!"

Gizmo 421 said:
Also there are 10 types of people that understand binary.

>:D

ACTUALLY!

There are 10 types of people in the world.  Those who understand binary, and those who don't.    :nod:

dapaterson said:
Youtube link?

The PAO made my buddy take it down... Ages ago....

apparently when it was up it was one of the top rated comedy videos in Canada for like a week....

George Wallace said:

ACTUALLY!

There are 10 types of people in the world.  Those who understand binary, and those who don't.    :nod:

A shame that joke isn't nearly as funny in hex. (If you understand why, you qualify for this thread)

George Wallace said:

ACTUALLY!

I am pretty sure that I qualify because I have that joke on a T-Shirt, and to make it worse I think I wore it to work last week  ;D

Just an observation.

There's a big difference, between "geeks" and "nerds".

Nerds, will die virgins.

Geeks, will die of suffocaion, from having their big-legged wives sit on their face for too long.

Also, I own one of these. And, the tattoo on my back is an amalgamation of the greek letters used in physics and math.

Cheers, fellow cranial cronies  8)

After thinking I qualified as a "nerd" I now think that I may not, for the following reasons:

1. What is binary?;
2. I only have three laptops in the house;
3. Never attended university; and
4. I dress fashionably.

In my defence I do own the complete Star Wars package, and have played Dungeons and Dragons on deployment to Cyprus 82-83.

Jim Seggie said:
1. What is binary?;

Not a dequalifier. While most people who identify themselves as "nerds" have probably heard of binary, and can count high enough to make the above mentioned joke, few actually understand anything beyond that, or have any idea of it's useful applications aside from being "1s and 0s in that computers use"

2. I only have three laptops in the house;

That's it? Shame.

3. Never attended university; and

Not a dequalifier in any way.

4. I dress fashionably.

Also, not a dequalifier, "nerd" has gone mainstream.

In my defence I do own the complete Star Wars package, and have played Dungeons and Dragons on deployment to Cyprus 82-83.

There you go. Nerd. Plus I'm guessing you enjoy the discovery channel.

Back