• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

NCMs Jacking Up Commissioned Officers

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Keep your voice down Sir, you'll frighten the lads"....

"Come along now, that's a good Gentleman."

C/Sgt Frank Bourne
Rourkes Drift

So in the end. We can sum this thread.
We can say that an officer who holds a commission deserves the respect entitled to that rank at that given time.
When on course those individuals, who are at the student level , act accordingly as individuals in a training establishments, as it is laid out in the School standing orders.
Instructors and staff of the course are to carry themselves in a professional manner only  pointing out deficiencies and shortcomings in an ,individual or group and their actions, in a manner appropriate to the offence, that persons status, and the situation.
If you feel that the rules have been bent or not followed in regards to what ever protocol in at question. Then it is within the rights of those involved to take it up their respective chains of commands.
And like my dad told me.
" you f*8k up, admit it. Take the blows and carry on."

I now remember the advice of an RSM in regards to questions like this. Have them either ask advice about a real incident with full particulars provided or ask a general question about what the correct or mandated way to do something is. A hybrid of the two isn't productive to answer.

Scott937 said:
Interesting topic, and for the most part I agree with those who have said polite correction is the way to go. But, I'm not so quick to jump on the " your not qualified...therefore you get what you get" band wagon. Aside from the safety concern, and situations where it is the persons (NCOs) job to correct the officer (i.e. BOTC, Phase 2).
The question I have is, where is the line drawn, if I were to walk down the hall and had obvious deficiencies (Flag on upside down, pants unbloused, etc..) then I would like to be politely corrected. For things relatively minor, scuff on boots, wrinkle in pants... does it need to be said at that time and place... if you think the answer is yes then it can be done politely and respectfully. However, if the NCO is stopping the officer in the hall and telling him his boots are very bad and than he is bag of very bad stuff that is inappropiate, and the matter must me directed to the chain of command. Because the goal is not to make the officer feel like an idiot, but rather to correct his current deficency.

People correct an issue only when they believe it is WORTH correcting. Gently carressing the subbies hair and saying "now sir that we are alone- your boots could use a little work" will not bring change around. For young military personnel they need FEAR ofbeing picked up for something. FEAR of being singled out or called out, or noticed. As time goes on deportment becomes second nature but at first its a new skill and must be reinforced.

At least thats my take on it.

Bruce

Lock it down, I can't see much that has been added since my original response.  Without concrete examples everyone is guessing at the right answer.

One last stab at the dead horse from me...

The Mega is a unique environment that really doesn't have an inkling of what it is really like in the CF.

As a student at the Language School, you really shouldn't have much contact with the recruit school.  However, if an NCM were to roar loudly and come aboard you for relatively benign reasons, the correct response would be "As you were Master Corporal."  Followed by you turning your back on him/her and going about your merry way.  Remember that the staff in the green sector are accustomed to being socially abrasive and tend to forget what the real world is all about.  A very blunt, yet polite reminder of such is sometimes warranted.

Cheers

Zoomie said:
However, if an NCM were to roar loudly and come aboard you for relatively benign reasons, the correct response would be "As you were Master Corporal."   Followed by you turning your back on him/her and going about your merry way.  

Right or wrong, I'd love to be a fly on the wall when a newbie 2Lt or OCdt says this to a seasoned NCO. That'd be a hoot! The poor bugger won't know what hit 'em.

"Lock it down, I can't see much that has been added since my original response.  Without concrete examples everyone is guessing at the right answer. "

Now that doesn't sound conceited at all especially the "I can't see much that has been added since my original response." remark.

Caesar said:
Right or wrong, I'd love to be a fly on the wall when a newbie 2Lt or OCdt says this to a seasoned NCO. That'd be a hoot! The poor bugger won't know what hit 'em.

Poor bugger as in the seasoned NCM or the newbie 2Lt when his OC gets ahold of him after the seasoned NCM quietly speaks to someone he knows at the newbie's posting.  ;D
I hear NCM's, espcially Sgt.'s and WO's, are good at that. That's why I was told by some very smart NCM's before I became an officer, "Don't mess with your WO, he can f*** up your life."  ;D

Gramps is right and I'm getting dizzy,...... locked

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back