• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Navy to consider gender-neutral ranks

Halifax Tar said:
They are the represention of the MS and below of the fleet to higher command and are expected to accompany the Fleet Chief, and Base Chief in expressing the pulse of the MS and below to higher command authority. 

Its really an expanded role of the PMC of the fleet club to more than just the PMC but now an actual representation of the JRs throughout the fleet, formation and base.

Once I can get the halifax dwan page to open I am sure I can get a better job description for you.

That's a great idea  :cheers:

Speaking of math https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=146754413227138&external_log_id=27b0f5268d845c70eb004a29d454f4b4&q=american%20vs%20asian%20math

Hamish Seggie said:
OMG Op Honour heads are exploding everywhere!!!  :stirpot:

Funny story.
I've been on a couple courses now where the staff were strictly told to stop us from using "op honour" in conversation and call it "operation honour". Staff said they were told not to let it slide  ::)

Jarnhamar said:
Funny story.
I've been on a couple courses now where the staff were strictly told to stop us from using "op honour" in conversation and call it "operation honour". Staff said they were told not to let it slide  ::)

Coz if you Op Honour, eventually you 'ave to 'Op Offer.

I'll see myself out...

Jarnhamar said:
Funny story.

Another good reason to 'Go Ganja' early ;)

Colin P said:
Speaking of math https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=146754413227138&external_log_id=27b0f5268d845c70eb004a29d454f4b4&q=american%20vs%20asian%20math

It is sad that I find it believable that crap like this is being taught.

If it is, it must be a deliberate attempt to ruin future generations. I cannot accept that anybody would simply think that this "method" is a good idea.

As for Naval ranks, the public is more likely to understand "seaman" than "rate". None of the proposals are worthy of consideration, in my view.

Following along with the theme of the more recent suggestions herein, I posit that, instead of an awkward one-size-fits-no-gender concept, we adopt parallel gender designations, ie "Seaman" and "Seawoman".

"Master" is a masculine term. The female equivalent of "Master Seaman" would, then, be "Mistress Seawoman".

Remius said:
Just use the army ranks. 

The end.

Epilogue: Put "Boat" in front of the army ranks to appease the "we are not army crowd".

Boat Private, Boat Cpl, Master Boat Cpl, Boat Colonel etc etc. 

The added bonus is that when talking to a Boat Colonel is you won't confuse him with an army Captain.

Gender parity achieved.

PM me for my contact details on where to mail my commendation.

Quick question, is it Boat Master Warrant Officer, or Master Boat Warrant Officer?

As a weatherman I would think the second option works best, as it ensures Boat is before the rank and not the modifier.  ie; a Master WO is like Heavy(+) RA.

I predict it wont be long before an CAF committee will be struck to remove all words that no longer conform to today's requirements.  For example, the word "Master" would be removed and replaced as some may find it brings up memories of slavery or the like.  I cite the 2017 effort of the Toronto District School Board to remove the word "Chief" from all TDSB schools and offices.  Words such as Chief Superintendent,  Chief of Communications, Chief Financial Officer, etc. were removed and replaced with executive. 

Sprinting Thistle said:
I cite the 2017 effort of the Toronto District School Board to remove the word "Chief" from all TDSB schools and offices.  Words such as Chief Superintendent,  Chief of Communications, Chief Financial Officer, etc. were removed and replaced with executive.

Not in Toronto Emergency Services.

Still a Police Chief, Fire Chief and Paramedic Chief. As well as their Deputy and District Chiefs.

Loachman said:
The female equivalent of "Master Seaman" would, then, be "Mistress Seawoman".

The first image that popped into my head when I read this was of Mera, Queen of Atlantis.

Haggis said:
The first image that popped into my head when I read this was of Mera, Queen of Atlantis.

Conjures up images of Mistress of the Dark.....in a Navy uniform.

Furniture said:
Quick question, is it Boat Master Warrant Officer, or Master Boat Warrant Officer?

As a weatherman I would think the second option works best, as it ensures Boat is before the rank and not the modifier.  ie; a Master WO is like Heavy(+) RA.
Judging from the number of times it says Navy/Ensigns/anchors on the NCDs I think the preferred option would be "Boat Master Boat Warrant Officer." Just to make sure people get it.

Ludoc said:
Judging from the number of times it says Navy/Ensigns/anchors on the NCDs I think the preferred option would be "Boat Master Boat Warrant Officer." Just to make sure people get it.

How about BoatyMcBoatMasterWarrant?

It would appeal to millennials and could be implemented as a cultural alignment initiative to encourage retention :)

daftandbarmy said:

It would appeal to millennials and could be implemented as a cultural alignment initiative to encourage retention :)

That's the kind of paradigm shift, outside the box, synergistic thinking we need in the CAF!

daftandbarmy said:

Not clear enough that it's related to the Navy and Boats.

How about:  BoatyMcBoatMasterBoatWarrantBoater

dapaterson said:
Not clear enough that it's related to the Navy and Boats.

How about:  BoatyMcBoatMasterBoatWarrantBoater

I can see the rank badge now.... it will have  a scratch and sniff feature... probably coconut oil :)

Furniture said:
That's the kind of paradigm shift, outside the box, synergistic thinking we need in the CAF!

Worked wonders at Feltcher and Sons.

Back