• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Navy to consider gender-neutral ranks

MCG said:

Navy_Pete said:
That or seafarer are common in the civilian side for a catchall...

My discontent with all the virtue signalling and creating problems to fix them (when there are real pressing problems) aside, I actually really like both of those options. I'd have no problem with the navy switching over so long as they didn't spend millions on "consulting" coming to the conclusion to use them.

Ordinary Mariner, Able Mariner, Leading Mariner, Master Mariner
Ordinary Seafarer, Seafarer Leading Seafarer, Master Seafarer

All sound good, although I'm more partial to Mariner. Seafarer feels a bit more pacific and suited to civilian side than warriors of the high seas.

No need to touch the Petty Officer ranks.

LittleBlackDevil said:
My discontent with all the virtue signalling and creating problems to fix them (when there are real pressing problems) aside, I actually really like both of those options. I'd have no problem with the navy switching over so long as they didn't spend millions on "consulting" coming to the conclusion to use them.

All sound good, although I'm more partial to Mariner. Seafarer feels a bit more pacific and suited to civilian side than warriors of the high seas.

Or, in the case of some of the older personnel on this board: 'Ancient Mariner' :)

#samueltaylorcoleridgewasright

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Rime_of_the_Ancient_Mariner

:surrender:

LittleBlackDevil said:

I'm not too impressed with either of those options. Mariner and Seafarer sounds far too civilianized.

Rates and Killicks are more to my liking. Although I'm sure the Command will find some unique way to piss off everyone!

Able Deck-Ape, Leading Deck Ape? It certainly was how the senior officers of the CCG saw us back in the 90's.

This isnt finding much traction in the MS and below mess in my neck of the woods. 

In fact it has generated some rather poignant emails directly to the Fleet MS, from killicks, about the perception of mixed up priorities in the top end of the business.

Halifax Tar said:
This isnt finding much traction in the MS and below mess in my neck of the woods. 

In fact it has generated some rather poignant emails directly to the Fleet MS, from killicks, about the perception of mixed up priorities in the top end of the business.
That is heartening to hear.

FSTO said:
That is heartening to hear.

I quite agree.

Unfortunately all the e-mails in the world may not make any difference as some senior leaders have hitched their wagon to a emasculated Liberal party agenda.

Just use the army ranks. 

The end.

Epilogue: Put "Boat" in front of the army ranks to appease the "we are not army crowd".

Boat Private, Boat Cpl, Master Boat Cpl, Boat Colonel etc etc. 

The added bonus is that when talking to a Boat Colonel is you won't confuse him with an army Captain.

Gender parity achieved.

PM me for my contact details on where to mail my commendation.

NavalMoose said:
I don't think the Post Office will deliver there....

No worries.  I can pick it up once I'm done planning the parade.

The Boat Generals will love it.

Halifax Tar said:

What's a Fleet MS?  Like the most senior MS of the fleet? 

Dimsum said:
What's a Fleet MS?  Like the most senior MS of the fleet?

They are the represention of the MS and below of the fleet to higher command and are expected to accompany the Fleet Chief, and Base Chief in expressing the pulse of the MS and below to higher command authority. 

Its really an expanded role of the PMC of the fleet club to more than just the PMC but now an actual representation of the JRs throughout the fleet, formation and base.

Once I can get the halifax dwan page to open I am sure I can get a better job description for you.

Halifax Tar said:
Once I can get the halifax dwan page to open I am sure I can get a better job description for you.

RCN IT infrastructure: "Yesterday's technology, Tomorrow!"

Boaty
Able Boaty
Leading Boaty
Master Boaty (a lot of fun can be had with that one)
etc

Not at all, any of the 86 genders can Master Boat.

I was talking to a C2 today who is in the committee looking at this. Sounds like Command is fast tracking this idiocy now. When I said to him that this was a "Solution in search of a problem" he sadly shook his head yes.

But I'm of the wrong gender, age ,and race to be allowed any opinion on this matter.

Halifax Tar said:
Tell me about it!  Although this wifi we have now is pretty snazzy.

You bubbleheads have it way too jammy.

Back