• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Navy Steward, housing question

si arn

Inactive
Reaction score
Well I've been seriously thinking of applying for a Steward with the Navy.  I've searched this website, asked some friends in the reserves, and read government websites.  As far the actual job of being a Steward, I think i'm almost sold.  This website made me like it even more than I did after reading the forces.ca description.

BUT.  The general consensus that i'm seeing, is that this is a job where you will be deployed a lot.  The main question here is, if i'm deployed a lot, I dont see much sense in paying rent, either on base or a private dwelling, while i'm away.  But, when I return i'd have nowhere to go? 

I guess if I arrive at Esquimalt, or Halifax I will be living on base in those "shacks" as they seem to be called haha
but, when I leave for an extended time (or the first time after training).. I really dont want to pay rent on that shack..
Belongings that I brought from Ontario to that shack upon first arriving, I would use a storage provider to hold for me.

I may come across as knowing nothing about the housing system here.  Which I dont.  I've seached and learned some things!  But this is ONE thing i'd like to learn more on.  Thank You.

si arn,

I would suggest taking this post and moving it to one of the Navy-specific forums.  They will have plenty of comments for you on life on the coasts

MKO

si arn said:
I may come across as knowing nothing about the housing system here. 

Don't worry about it. You're new and theres nothing wrong with that.

That being said, you are not the first single person to join the Navy and get deployed alot. When you are actualy in the Navy and posted to a ship, ask what the other single folks do and imitate.

Back