• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Name This Ship!

Let's try again

Who, where (if you can when, approximately) and two extra points for the ship in the background.

Canadian Submarine CC1, Esquimalt, sometime between August 1914 and June 1917.

Guess for the extra points - Rainbow (but I'm probably wrong, number of stacks don't match?)

Oldgateboatdriver said:
Correct on all three counts ... No extra points however.

Hint: Its the other one ...

Your move.

Niobe! I'll take the extra points.

Tell me, please, what she is ...

2010-06-16-Christina-O-big.jpg

... but, for the bonus points, what she was and when.

HMCS Stormont.

Launched '43

Now a luxury yacht!  Christina O.

Oldgateboatdriver said:
Hint: Its the other one ...

Are you sure?  I am in no way a naval historian and my knowledge on the subject is limited to what I was able to quickly find on the net, but what I did find seems to indicate that Niobe was limited to Halifax during the Great War and thus would have not been in Esquimalt to photobomb CC1's picture.  Otherwise I would have guessed her.  Is it possible that a British 4-stacker could have been in Esquimalt at the time?

Well, it's definitely a Diadem class cruiser. Stacks are right, Mast arrangement is right, double fore anchors to starboard is right, gun size, location and suit is right. No other class of cruiser looks that way. And since none of the others served anywhere else than the Atlantic Squadron, in the Med or at the China station, there is no reason to believe it's one of the others.

On the other hand, (and don't quote me on this) I seem to recall reading in one of the Naval history of Canada book that Niobe had been out exercising with Rainbow on the west Coast at the break of WWI, and was ordered back to Halifax to defend the Canadian Coast and patrol down to Bermuda and back, while Rainbow was ordered to defend the West Coast of N. America.

All right.

I'll go again.

Colin, please abstain (It would be too easy for an old-timer like you  :))

Who are these ships, and what did they do?

Oldgateboatdriver said:
Well, it's definitely a Diadem class cruiser. Stacks are right, Mast arrangement is right, double fore anchors to starboard is right, gun size, location and suit is right. No other class of cruiser looks that way. And since none of the others served anywhere else than the Atlantic Squadron, in the Med or at the China station, there is no reason to believe it's one of the others.

Not to derail the thread, but . . .

How about this vessel?  Does it fit the features of the ship in the sub photo?

HMS_Newcastle_%281909%29.jpg

In "THE NAVAL SERVICE OF CANADA  Its Official History" (http://publications.gc.ca/collections/collection_2013/dn-nd/D61-32-1-1962-eng.pdf) three non-Canadian war vessels are identified as either being in BC waters or based (even at least temporarily) in Esquimalt during the First World War.  The is no mention of Niobe being in the Pacific at the outbreak of the war.

They are:

HMS Newcastle (the picture above)
Japanese cruiser Izumo (a three stack vessel)
HMS Kent (also a three stacker)

Dolphin_Hunter said:
HMCS Stormont.

Launched '43

Now a luxury yacht!  Christina O.

Quite right. The frigates (the name was thought up by Percy Nelles who was good at that sort of thing) were conceived even as the first (1939/40) batch of corvettes were being built as, originally, a "twin screw corvette" because the Navy wanted to keep the simplicity of the corvette, especially its engine system, but in a slightly larger, faster and much more stable platform.

It makes on wonder how much of the original K327 is still there.

warship-yacht_23223983.jpg

HMCS Stormont

Blackadder1916 said:
Not to derail the thread, but . . .

How about this vessel?  Does it fit the features of the ship in the sub photo?

HMS_Newcastle_%281909%29.jpg

In "THE NAVAL SERVICE OF CANADA  Its Official History" (http://publications.gc.ca/collections/collection_2013/dn-nd/D61-32-1-1962-eng.pdf) three non-Canadian war vessels are identified as either being in BC waters or based (even at least temporarily) in Esquimalt during the First World War.  The is no mention of Niobe being in the Pacific at the outbreak of the war.

They are:

HMS Newcastle (the picture above)
Japanese cruiser Izumo (a three stack vessel)
HMS Kent (also a three stacker)

Could be HMS Newcastle, though mast looks little different and the Newcastle had two larger funnels in the centre. On the pics, it looks like four same size funnel. My pic is not of the best quality especially in the background so it could be Newcastle.

I am looking at a picture of HMS Gloucester, a sister ship of Newcastle and the mast is more closely matched to my pic. It could be there was a mast re-design made to the class at some point.

Good research Blackadder.

Oldgateboatdriver said:
All right.

I'll go again.

CCGS  Vancouver and Quadra, Weather ship

Correct.

I thought it would be more difficult with their radome off in the pic. But there is no fooling you Nfld Sapper.

Your move.

Oldgateboatdriver said:
All right.

I'll go again.

but, but, but........ [:D

My first boss in my current job worked as a radio operator on them. Apparently they had to sometimes resort to recruiting anyone with a pulse (he claimed they recruited from the local drunk tank) to go out for the 13 week patrol at Ocean station Papa. 

NFLD Sapper said:
Name this vessel....

It's a new Norwegian intelligence ship: http://www.rcinet.ca/eye-on-the-arctic/2015/07/28/new-russian-spy-ship-to-keep-tabs-on-norway/ the Marjata

_____
Edited to add: here she is in a recent picture

Marjata_IV_November_3,_2015_York_River_Virginia_USA.jpg

E.R. Campbell said:
It's a new Norwegian intelligence ship: http://www.rcinet.ca/eye-on-the-arctic/2015/07/28/new-russian-spy-ship-to-keep-tabs-on-norway/ the Marjata

Correct it's the Marjata IV, I thought posting it in it's unfinished state would throw people off.. good eye Edward....

Attached is her completed.

I'm confused. You're post says it's the "Norwegian" intelligence ship, but hte article says "new russian spy ship to keep tabs on Norway". Also, the paint scheme in the first picture looked very much Russian... so which is it?

Back