• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Name This Ship!

Lumber said:
I'm confused. You're post says it's the "Norwegian" intelligence ship, but hte article says "new russian spy ship to keep tabs on Norway". Also, the paint scheme in the first picture looked very much Russian... so which is it?

In the article, which is about, mainly, Russian ships, it is referred to, in the photo caption, as Norway's "answer." I couldn't find another reference with that photo in it.  :-\  So it is the Norwegian intelligence ship Marjata ... I think, that's my answer, anyway.

It is the Marjata IV. It will/has replaced the Marjata III.

Lumber said:
I'm confused. You're post says it's the "Norwegian" intelligence ship, but hte article says "new russian spy ship to keep tabs on Norway". Also, the paint scheme in the first picture looked very much Russian... so which is it?

Marjata

The actual caption to my picture:

"This new giant intelligence ship was ordered in 2010 and was built in Romania. She was towed through the Bosphorus to Norway last March and is currently being outfitted for her operational debut in 2016. It is said that once finished the ship will be the most advanced intelligence ship in the world and there are some rumors that it may play some role in the US missile defense apparatus as well."

Let's try this one then:

Country, Class, and if capable, Name. If you guess where the picture was taken ... then you still don't win a trip there - Hey! I am not that rich.

France,  L' Audacieuse-class (P400) patrol vessel, if i had to guess it is P686 down in Polynesia

French, P400-class patrol vessel. (you're naming the picture "navire" made me go looking through the French navy).

However, the name and location are at a loss to me. The French have vessels likes these all over the place. It could be Melanesia, the Caribbean or the Indian Ocean!

Correct: P400 (L'Audacieuse) French Navy ship type.

W601: Almost correct on the name: It is P-689 La Railleuse, seen leaving Papeete in Tahiti on what is known as "la course du nord", the North track.

You'd probably have had to sail there (lucky me I have, even though this is not a personal picture) to recognize the very specific sand bank formation + mountain in the background combination.

Gentlemen, your move.

I don't know what ship it is, the aft mast over the telescoping hangar is mounting some hardware that looks like a command and control suite of equipment is installed.  Might be the Ponce before the LAWS was installed.

An amphibious transport dock, also called a landing platform/dock (LPD)...could be either Cleveland or Trenton sub-class of the Austin-class amphibious transport dock

You all got the class right. I should have told you that I took this picture from the bridge of an Arleigh Burke during RIMPAC 2010. That would have narrowed down your options.

It's the USS Cleveland.

Lumber said:
It's the USS Cleveland.

Damn, should have recognized it.[:)  Spent time aboard her in 1979 with 3 PPCLI during Ex KERNAL POTLACH.  We sailed down to San Diego aboard Canadian ships and then transferred to the USN vessels for amphib training in SD, following which we sailed back up the Pacific coast (conducting landings at Camp Pendleton along the way) to do the assault landing at the top of Vancouver Island.

OK, here is one ...

%D0%93%D0%B0%D0%B0%D1%88_%D0%BA%D0%B0%D1%82%D0%B5%D1%80.gif

... as always the "back story" is more important.

Who is she?

Where was she built, by whom and for whom? Why did she almost provoke a war between a major European power and another, non-European country?

Israeli Sa'ar 3-class missile boat.
Might be one of the pair sold to Sri Lanka, given the uniforms of the crew on the deck.

Definitely a Sa'ar 3 Israeli boat.

A French product of Constructions Mecaniques de Normandie based on a Lurssen design.

Distinction in history: During the 1973 Yum Kippur war, they were the first ship ever to fight using a Surface to Surface missile, the first such engagement in history.

Oh! The European/non-European thing: The Arab League threatened to cut oil deliveries to the original builders selected  by the Israelis: The German company Lurssen.

Back