• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Mystery objects/ Balloons over north America

The Chinese are unhappy about the shootdown.

Say, I wonder what the Chinese reaction would be to US “weather” balloons over Beijing?
Much the same as the Russians or North Koreans about RC-135's getting a little too close to their coasts...

Much the same as the Russians or North Koreans about RC-135's getting a little too close to their coasts...
The Chinese seem to missing ( Well to honest , ignoring.) one tiny little detail close to as opposed to traveling through.
I wonder how they would react ?

The Chinese seem to missing ( Well to honest , ignoring.) one tiny little detail close to as opposed to traveling through.
I wonder how they would react ?
If they'd frig around with or shoot or force down an aircraft with humans/humanoids on board that were NEAR their airspace, I'm pretty sure they'd prosecute a target actually entering their airspace with equal or greater zeal...

If they'd frig around with or shoot or force down an aircraft with humans/humanoids on board that were NEAR their airspace, I'm pretty sure they'd prosecute a target actually entering their airspace with equal or greater zeal...
I'm pretty sure they would and screw the innocent bystanders to boot.
I was thinking more along the lines of their government spokesman . I suspect that they would be literally frothing at the mouth and promising immolation to various North Americans cities.

I'm pretty sure they would and screw the innocent bystanders to boot.
I was thinking more along the lines of their government spokesman . I suspect that they would be literally frothing at the mouth and promising immolation to various North Americans cities.
Gotcha, though my guess is that all the rhetoric would be spewed out AFTER the shoot down/force down with a lot of film and political "NANA NANA BOO BOO's" going on for weeks afterwards, especially if there was collateral damage from the aircraft hitting a populated area.

Apparently this ballon was the F-22's first kill. If it remains its only kill will this be a negative or testament to its real value as a deterrent?

Apparently this ballon was the F-22's first kill. If it remains its only kill will this be a negative or testament to its real value as a deterrent?
I don't think the pilot cares he has the most unique kill marking in modern history.

I concur.

I think you misunderstand the point of 'deterence'.

OK, help out an idiot here. I saw no explosion, nor would I expect a mylar film to trigger one. Did the missile simply pass through and tear the balloon to shreds (must more efficiently than a whole bunch of 20mm apparently)? Could this have even be a non-warhead (aka training) missile?

I think you misunderstand the point of 'deterence'.

OK, help out an idiot here. I saw no explosion, nor would I expect a mylar film to trigger one. Did the missile simply pass through and tear the balloon to shreds (must more efficiently than a whole bunch of 20mm apparently)? Could this have even be a non-warhead (aka training) missile?
Air to air missiles blow up into a shitload of fragments. No big spectacular explosion. Looks like the missile worked pretty much as intended and shredded it, I think causing the payload to detach from the balloon itself.

Air to air missiles blow up into a shitload of fragments. No big spectacular explosion. Looks like the missile worked pretty much as intended and shredded it, I think causing the payload to detach from the balloon itself.
It was reported that the USAF removed the warhead from the AIM-9x to try and leave the balloon as intact as possible (after a fall of 64k ft, into the ocean…)

It was reported that the USAF removed the warhead from the AIM-9x to try and leave the balloon as intact as possible (after a fall of 64k ft, into the ocean…)
Huh. Neat if true. Whatever they hit it with, it worked.

Back