• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Mystery objects/ Balloons over north America

Have they even managed to get the gun on the F22 working? I understood they are still sorting out issues.

Have they even managed to get the gun on the F22 working? I understood they are still sorting out issues.
It’s the standard M61 Vulcan 20mm
The gun never had an issue. The flip door had some early issues as sometimes it didn’t flip out of the way fast enough and a burst went through it which hurt the RCS.
I don’t think that’s been an issue for 15+ years though.

DefMin's info-machine take for the record (also archived here) ...
The Minister of National Defence, the Honourable Anita Anand, issued the following statement:

“Today, the United States took definitive action to bring down China’s high-altitude surveillance balloon that has violated U.S. and Canadian airspace and international law.

“Yesterday evening and today, the Prime Minister and I were briefed on today’s operation by the National Security and Intelligence Advisor and the Chief of the Defence Staff.

“Officials in the national security community have been working bi-nationally and Canada has been closely engaged with its U.S. counterparts on the decision and unequivocally supports the actions taken. Canada thanks the United States for its close collaboration.

“The bi-national North American Aerospace Defense Command (NORAD) has been tracking and analyzing the trajectory and actions of the high-altitude surveillance balloon.

“The cooperation between Canada and the United States through NORAD ensures the security and defense of North American air sovereignty, and we thank its members for having the watch.”

I’m wondering what altitude the balloon was at and what altitude the Chinese will claim is “sovereign” above a country.

Thinking back to my BSOC, IIRC the UN was never able to gain a consensus and agreement and therefore it’s been left “up in the air”. 😁

Is it not 2023? Seriously, despite everything the CAF has been trying to do to stamp out prejudice, it's comments like this that prove there is still work to be done.
I'm embarrassed for you. Do better.
RT
Thank you for correcting me. 👍🏻

Have a nice day

The Chinese are unhappy about the shootdown.

Say, I wonder what the Chinese reaction would be to US “weather” balloons over Beijing?

Back