• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

My Obstacles to Joining the Canadian Infantry

I'd like to update my small contribution to this thread, and also with good news. So after getting a criminal record and credit check from the Chinese authorities, no easy feat and many thanks to those who've helped, I've been contacted by the recruiting office to set up an interview and medical exam.

Only problem is I'll be in Shanghai until end of August. At least I've been cleared for the second step.

So now it's time to prepare for the interview and do more research into the occupations I chose - intelligence, logistics, and armored. And hit the gym with a lot more motivation!

Honestly man!  After going through all the delayed security issues because of your 4 year stint in China you are going back till August?!  I understand you have friends and family there now, but seriously.  Why give the CF another excuse to delay everything you worked so hard for?  Even though you may have cleared to 2nd step, how is a CF recruiter going to feel when you let him/her know that your spending the summer in a Communist country still considered a threat to our national security.

Your bringing it on yourself this time.  I genuinely hope that you make it through sooner than later.  We need more Chinese-speaking Intel folks (and for that matter Russian, Korean, Hindi, Urdu, Kurdish, Farsi speakers to name a few).

J

Fireball said:
Honestly man!  After going through all the delayed security issues because of your 4 year stint in China you are going back till August?!  I understand you have friends and family there now, but seriously.  Why give the CF another excuse to delay everything you worked so hard for?  Even though you may have cleared to 2nd step, how is a CF recruiter going to feel when you let him/her know that your spending the summer in a Communist country still considered a threat to our national security.

Your bringing it on yourself this time.  I genuinely hope that you make it through sooner than later.  We need more Chinese-speaking Intel folks (and for that matter Russian, Korean, Hindi, Urdu, Kurdish, Farsi speakers to name a few).

J

I've let my case officer know what my plans are from the very beginning so there's no misunderstanding on what my time line is. They know exactly where I am and why I'm there. Also, as long as I'm not out of Canada for longer than 6-months at a time, I'm not considered "overseas." Hence, I've made two trips back a year, with each visit also including a trip to the recruiting office to let them know I'm back and with my passport so they can photocopy my entry and exit stamps. I'm sure it'll raise some eye-brows, but I do have legitimate reasons for being here: finishing my graduate project being the biggest, and looking for import/export opportunities as a fall back if things don't work out.

But I definitely can see how a prolonged stay here would raise some eyebrows. To be honest, I'm now more worried about how my spouse, a Chinese national who is now a permanent resident, will affect any future security checks. My case officer mentioned that his wife is from eastern Europe and that has caused him to be the focus of extra scrutiny in the past.

Back