• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

My chest rig

Interesting comments. Infanteer, I am in 100% agreement with you. My rant was of course my personal feelings on the matter, and when I swear an oath as either an enlisted man or officer I have sworn to follow the orders of those above me as a matter of course. My point overall was not limited to the usage of non-issue kit. I was trying to use that topic as a vehicle for my overall viewpoint, that as a combat leader it's not just about getting the right kit for my men, but doing literally everything I possibly can to help them kill the enemy and come back safe. I disagree with you on your point that my viewpoint indicates a lack of trust for my superiors or subordinates. If somebody has a point of view that I disagree with, that does not mean I don't trust them or respect them, I just do not share their point of view. When I say I don't care about a directive that will impede and not aid my men in their tasks, that doesn't mean I'll ignore every directive that comes my way, lol. Wouldn't have much of a command relationship there I don't think. As I said, that rant was my personal viewpoint, and of course any orders that come my way that I don't like I'll have to deal with, suck it up, and move on out. Lobbying certain issues is exactly the type of approach I had in mind as an officer, but I also don't mind rocking the boat a little. I appreciate your insight.

Moving right along to caroline65... You're not combat arms I take it.. If you are you need to a.) seriously question what you're doing in the army, and b.) get somebody who has the right mindset to pluck the air from your head and fill it with the necessary viewpoint for a soldier, which is: OUR PRIMARY JOB IS TO KILL THE ENEMY. The TV may be fine with the 82 pattern rucksack which doesn't use a padded waistbelt, but it hasn't worked for me with a ruck with a padded waistbelt, and another forum member has had the same problem as me. So I guess the question would be, has the ruck you've used had a padded waistbelt? Even if it has, myself and another board member have had problems, so I guess that's irellevent. I'm the type of person the army doesn't care to have? Hmm, last I checked we all carried guns and other things that go boom for a reason... oh yes, that's right, our primary job is warfighting... imagine that! ::). Regardless of how many peacekeeping taskings we recieve our primary purpose is to fight, and thus we train for war, because peacekeeping, as another member said, is a job that is performed by warfighting trained troops. If you have soldiers who only know how to peacekeep, god help you when the feces hits the rotating blades. Onto your final point. LEARN HOW TO READ. You accuse me of being an individual and not giving a shit about the troops under my command. Here's a quote directly from my post:

WAR means We Are Ready, and as a leader I will ensure that my men and I are ready. I am not going to pandy about with idiotic rules in a job when lives are on the line. My job as a leader, as a warrior, is to make sure my men and comrades complete the mission and come back home alive. Full stop. Any regulations which get in the way of those two priorities and that do not aid the troops in some way shape or form I have no time for.

Now, after reading through that part could you please enlighten me as to where I have said indirectly or directly that I don't give a shit about the troops? I didn't join this forum or start this thread to start a pissing match, and I extend my apologies to other board members for the direction this thread has gone, partly due to the airing of my personal viewpoint on some of the qualities I feel a combat leader needs.

Nice rig, but the problem with this kind of kit is when it breaks during a deployment, you sometimes can't get replacement parts. We should train with what we fight, which is the kit the Army issues us. You don't like it, then it's a personal problem...  ;)
Regarding the "peacekeeping" bit: the last deployment I was on, our mandate was to RESTORE order, with the authority to take all necessary measures to fulfil this mandate.

tacsit said:
Interesting comments. Infanteer, I am in 100% agreement with you. My rant was of course my personal feelings on the matter, and when I swear an oath as either an enlisted man or officer I have sworn to follow the orders of those above me as a matter of course. My point overall was not limited to the usage of non-issue kit. I was trying to use that topic as a vehicle for my overall viewpoint, that as a combat leader it's not just about getting the right kit for my men, but doing literally everything I possibly can to help them kill the enemy and come back safe. I disagree with you on your point that my viewpoint indicates a lack of trust for my superiors or subordinates. If somebody has a point of view that I disagree with, that does not mean I don't trust them or respect them, I just do not share their point of view. When I say I don't care about a directive that will impede and not aid my men in their tasks, that doesn't mean I'll ignore every directive that comes my way, lol. Wouldn't have much of a command relationship there I don't think. As I said, that rant was my personal viewpoint, and of course any orders that come my way that I don't like I'll have to deal with, suck it up, and move on out. Lobbying certain issues is exactly the type of approach I had in mind as an officer, but I also don't mind rocking the boat a little. I appreciate your insight.

Moving right along to caroline65... You're not combat arms I take it.. If you are you need to a.) seriously question what you're doing in the army, and b.) get somebody who has the right mindset to pluck the air from your head and fill it with the necessary viewpoint for a soldier, which is: OUR PRIMARY JOB IS TO KILL THE ENEMY. The TV may be fine with the 82 pattern rucksack which doesn't use a padded waistbelt, but it hasn't worked for me with a ruck with a padded waistbelt, and another forum member has had the same problem as me. So I guess the question would be, has the ruck you've used had a padded waistbelt? Even if it has, myself and another board member have had problems, so I guess that's irellevent. I'm the type of person the army doesn't care to have? Hmm, last I checked we all carried guns and other things that go boom for a reason... oh yes, that's right, our primary job is warfighting... imagine that! ::). Regardless of how many peacekeeping taskings we recieve our primary purpose is to fight, and thus we train for war, because peacekeeping, as another member said, is a job that is performed by warfighting trained troops. If you have soldiers who only know how to peacekeep, god help you when the feces hits the rotating blades. Onto your final point. LEARN HOW TO READ. You accuse me of being an individual and not giving a crap about the troops under my command. Here's a quote directly from my post:

Now, after reading through that part could you please enlighten me as to where I have said indirectly or directly that I don't give a crap about the troops? I didn't join this forum or start this thread to start a pissing match, and I extend my apologies to other board members for the direction this thread has gone, partly due to the airing of my personal viewpoint on some of the qualities I feel a combat leader needs.

You need to re read what Infanteer wrote. Now him, I would respect. Soldier on Infanteer.... About the comment on weather or not I am combat arms. now that is just silly. Where would the common combat soldier be without support? Explain that one?? All trades are required to get a job done weather it be floods,ice storms or humanitarian duties. Ever here of an NSE before? (National Support Element)

Hope you make the right choice on weather or not to join the service.  ;)

I think I quite adequately responded to Infanteer's comments actually. Though if he disagress I'm sure he'll tell me. My comment on whether or not you are in the combat arms is due to your comment about how my viewpoint that the purpose of armies is to kill people and break things somehow makes me insane, because no combat arms soldier I've ever met has shared your point of view. I was not commenting at all on the obvious necessity of support pers., so I don't know why you're bringing that into the mix. You still haven't responded to the points I made in my previous post regarding your comments though, nor have you apologied for attacking me after quite obviously not reading through my 2nd last post. What difference does it make what tasking the troops are assigned? Be you infantry or part of a SVC unit the primary reason you train is not to succeed in a peacekeeping mission, but to succeed on the field of battle. All other training is mission specific (i.e. peacekeeping, dealing with a snowstorm, etc.). I think YOU need to pay closer attention to Infanteer's comments on your view of what an armed force is meant for   ::).

Nice rig man, but like Jungle alluded to, not very practical when you are deployed overseas.  Try dropping by the CQ and getting replacements for parts that have fallen/rotten away.
I am still a little puzzled at what you could possibly use this setup for in the civilian world - 9 +1 Magazine pouches => pretty intensive duck hunting!  ???
I imagine that the first day you wore that set-up as a newly minted Lt, you would get a few choice words from your CSM.
Not knocking your design, very inventive and gucci.

The rig and pouches all come from two tactical gear companies who have some of the best reps in the business for durability. If the nylon does break, then I'll sew it back up, that's what a sew kit is for. If a buckle breaks, I'm 100% sure the CQ will have replacement parts for the TV that will integrate with my rig. I am quite confident in the ability of my rig to handle any abuse thrown at it on any mission. It's already been put through its paces.

caroline65 said:
Nice rig, however you are wrong. the TV is fine with the ruck.I know this cause I wear it. Further, you are the type of person we don't care to have. We are a team and I don't see an "i" in team. Maybe you should join the American Army, we are peacekeepers not peacemakers.Your quote," The purpose of an army is to kill people and break things", question: Are you insane?? If you want to be a good leader then don't be an "indiviual"and give a s**t about the troops and not so much about yourself. Full Stop. Good luck buddy. ::)

WTF what trade are YOU?

Peacekeepers not peacemakers - LOL
Ever been anywhere?

Personally I think tacsit overrates/overvalues his experiences (IMHO) but due to his passion etc I think he would be a valuable member of the CF again reg or reserve.

Kevin, thanks for the kind words. I readily admit I still suffer at times from the impetuousness of youth... that what I need you old timers for, to put me in my place ;). BTW, did you get my e-mail on MWS and barrel lengths? Sent it out about a week or so ago.

Zoomie said:
I am still a little puzzled at what you could possibly use this setup for in the civilian world - 9 +1 Magazine pouches => pretty intensive duck hunting!  ???
+"carry at the minimum 2 frags and 2 smokes/bangs/WP"

I was wondering about this, too: what kind of civillian job requires you to carry this much ammo?

Are civilian security companies allowed to use fragmintation and white phosphorous grenades??

Or have 20/30 round magazines for a restricted rifle?

caroline65 said:
Nice rig, however you are wrong. the TV is fine with the ruck.I know this cause I wear it. Further, you are the type of person we don't care to have. We are a team and I don't see an "i" in team. Maybe you should join the American Army, we are peacekeepers not peacemakers.Your quote," The purpose of an army is to kill people and break things", question: Are you insane?? If you want to be a good leader then don't be an "individual"and give a s**t about the troops and not so much about yourself. Full Stop. Good luck buddy. ::)

Welcome to "Fuzzy Bunny, Purple Sky Land"!!!

So now all requirements of the CF are dictated by what works for the Svc Sp types??  Talk  about the administrative tail wagging the operational dog!!!  

Come back and talk to me when you've worn the ruck (with a padded belt over the TV on a walk (cross-country - not on hard-pack) for farther than the distance from your truck to your modular tentage home on the range...

I don't know how someone has gotten so many to buy in so mindlessly to the whole"we are peacekeepers, not warriors" line of total horse***, but it is doing our soldiers (and sailors and airmen) a great disservice.  In order for us to KEEP the peace often times we must first MAKE the peace.  This entails, more often than not, imposing our will upon the opposing parties by FORCE OF ARMS.  If I am required to do this I would like to have something more than 4 mags for my rifle and a dull bayonet.

Wake up and smell the damn coffee - the real world ain't Disneyland.  There are sharp edges and people do get hurt - today it's your turn.  Earplugs in, helmets on, watch and shoot, watch and shoot...

'Nuff said,

Blake

Truer words Blake, were never spoken. To answer the previous questions, it wasn't in Canada (obviously not, what with the mag restrictions here), and the ammo loadout for this rig is predicated on two jobs that I have done (different rig, my 82 pattern webbing actually) and two jobs that I will be doing, one in 5 months, the other in 12. None have been through actual companies though I still refer to them as civvy jobs because they aren't military (obviosuly). I will readily admit that luckily in neither of the past two greenish jobs was I directly shot at, so I hold no claim to fame or any such thing. That's all I'm going to say on this issue. If anybody wants to know about my upcoming jobs in the interest of learning where you can make some contacts along those lines you can PM me and we can talk.

Extremely interesting thread, and despite some fundamental disagreements, a sense of professionalism and decorum was maintained.  This board has certainly changed in the last year or two.

Caroline's comments seem offensively off the mark; the raison d'etre of the Army - and that includes supporting elements - is to train to kill our nations enemies - speedily, efficiently, legally, and in large numbers as mandated by the government in Ottawa and our commanders in the field.  Everything else - peacekeeping, shovelling snow in Toronto, Rememberance Day ceremonies, etc. - are just "extra duties as assigned."

To close with and destroy the enemy, regardless of terrain or weather...

I don't see Peacekeeping, handing out sleeping bags and cookies, shoveling snow or stopping floods anyplace in the above statement. Taskings are taskings sure, But selection and maintenance of the aim is paramount!

Slim

You still stand by your statement Caroline?

she mentioned on another thread she was heading out to Stalwart Guardian. She prob won't be back for a few days....

That starts on Friday. She advance party? In any case I certainly won't miss her... Bloody disgrace to the profession of arms is what that attitude is...

As per,  reg force goes out earlier to prepare it all so that the res don't waste a week in set up.

But lets not let her get us off track...

For what purpose other then section rifleman would the average CF soldier have use for 9 magazines plus grenades, plus, plus.....

Not that 270 rds is excessive for 031, but would be for most other cbts arms/CSS who also have other stores to carry....

So how would you rig for 6+1 mags instead?

Going back, again what makes your design better then the issued TV.

I like this, you force me to justify my choices. Good stuff. A good warrior constantly critiques to find out why something is better or worse. As I said, my chest rig and the pouches are several orders tougher than the TV. The quality of workmanship on every aspect of my rig far exceeds the quality of the issue TV. Everything is at least double and triple (in some cases quadruple) stiched on my rig. Take a look at the TV, and look at the nice single and sometimes doubel stitching. Also the thread used in my rig is tougher than the thread used in the stitching of my rig. I go into the field firm in the knowledge that my rig WILL NOT FAIL. Also as I said, it does not interfeer with a ruck, like the issue TV. As well, I can carry the 521 set on my rig where it won't interfeer with an apack or ruck. Can you do that on the TV? Again, modularity. I can set up my rig for whatever mission I want. If I'm humping an LMG I can swap off the mag pouches shift some pouches over, and put two C9 pouches there and not have 4 useless mag pouches still on my rig. For what purpose other than section rifleman would the average CF soldier have use for 10 mags? Let's see... self-defense methinks? Fine, it may be a bit excessive. I would suggest not issuing anything less than 7 mags to any non-combat arms soldier for the purpose of self-defense. Infanteers have to manpack way more than any CSS/other cbt arms trades do, so saying they have other stores to carry other than their mags, well, I'm not buying what you're selling, lol. How would I rig my rig for a 7 mag loadout? I'd take off any external ammo pouches and keep 6 mags in the internal mag pockets of my rig and keep the 7th mag in the weapon.

Back