• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

My chest rig

tacsit

Banned
Banned
Inactive
Reaction score
Since I mentioned I'd post pics of my chest rig, here they are.

DSC00249.jpg

Here is the overall view. The body is a SOTECH mk.3 Hellcat (split front with 2 fastex clips). I went with the mk.3 hellcat because first of all, it can carry 6 rifle mags in the internal pockets before adding on any pouches. Secondly, I like the split front because it makes it very easy to take on or off or to split it when in the prone for a while. Thirdly, it rides high up on my chest, thus there is no interfearence with the waistbelt on my ruck. The stock shoulder straps have been replaced by a custom reccegear yoke in digi-cam, a digital cammo pattern similar in colouration to CADPAT and practically indistinguishable from a few feet away. Attached to the yoke is a pace counter.

DSC00250.jpg

Here we have two CADPAT TT zippered utility pouches flanking an Ontario knife company partially serrated RAT-7 in what I believe is 1090 steel. Awesome knife, damn near indestructible. Others on this forum who think a multi-tool and bayonet are good enough for the field are entitled to their opinion. From my experience in the bush I want a blade that I know can step up and take some abuse. I look at this blade as both a tool and a weapon. It's not one or the other. The pouch on the left of the knife carries my 1qt collapsible canteen, canteen cup and stove, and this is the only pouch I've found where it's not a total ***** to remove any of that set from the pouch. I carry some hexi and iodine in the outside pocket. The zippered pouch on the right of the knife is my blowout kit. Carries dressings, tape, gloves, ACS, 1-handed tourniquets, etc. I carry a small ziploc with band-aids and other meds for day to day use, but this kit is only to be used for GSW, massive trauma, etc. I'll be attaching a nice red cross onto it so the medic knows where my crap is. Just to note: I clipped off the metal zipper tails and replaced them gutted paracord. Jingle jangle doesn't go well in the jungle jungle; noise discipline is key.

DSC00251.jpg

Here is where I keep the stuff that goes bang. Starting from the left we have 2 CADPAT TT 3 mag pouches. They use shockcord which is adjustable for mag retention, tho I'm thinking of attaching velcro to aid in mag retention instead of just using a fastex clip. Next we have 2 TT small utility pouches, which I use to carry frags. Those two pouches will soon be replaced by another CADPAT TT zippered utility pouch which will carry at the minimum 2 frags and 2 smokes/bangs/WP depending on the mission. Next to that is a Paraclete universal radio pouch. I went with this because it is completely adjustable. Plus I know that it'll hold a 521 set. The reason all this stuff is on my left side is because I'm right handed. You always want the stuff you'll need immediately (which in the warrior's case is ammo and frags) in a place where it's easiest to get to, and you always reload with your weak hand.

DSC00252.jpg

Here's a closeup of the back of the yoke. PALS webbing on the back to attach pouches, an idea which I'm not fond of, I don't want anything there interfeering with my ruck. However, if I'm going into a FIBUA situation or a raid where no rucks are being carried, I might attach a few smoke pouches to the back for bangs or smoke for the guy behind me to grab a hold of.

DSC00253.jpg

Here's a front shot of the rig.

DSC00254.jpg

And here's a shot of how I store some chemlights. Planning on attaching some gutted paracord lanyards to 'em to aid in retrieval.

DSC00028.jpg

DSC00027.jpg

Here are pics of my knife. I took these pics after I replaced the stock mircarta scales with paracord. But I eventually went back to the normal scales as they were more comfortable.

This is my current perfect rig (well, it will be once I get another zippered utility pouch for my pyro). I say current because I am constantly looking over and analyzing my loadout, as any good warrior should do. The soldier's load is an exact science, and leadership at every level needs to keep a hawklike watch on what the troops are carrying. The soldier's load is an important part of every PCI and PDI, and leaders should do their utmost best to avoid burdening the troops. Unfortunately there are only so many things leaders can do. The realities of the weight of current issue kit and the realities of combat ressuply can at times totally negate the best efforts at making the combat load one more easily borne. For example, the C6 SF kit. With modern manufacturing techniques could be made lighter. Unfortunately the one in system weighs a ***** and a half. Weight of ammo isn't going to change in the future, and water will always remain the same. Probably the biggest problem with our current combat load that I see is the body armour. Plates that weigh 12 pounds each along with a 10 pound soft armour vest is absolutely ridiculous. It's quite expensive but in a few months I'll be buying my own plates which weigh a fraction of the issue plates, because I don't want the only manuever I can do to be advance to ambush. My chest rig carries the absolute minimum the warfighter needs. Ammo, water, meds, comms, pyro, blade. I'll throw in a theater map into the map pocket along with 1 IMP meal in a heat bag and a bag of hot chocolate or gatorade mix. I'll probably be taking off one of the 3 mag pouches, as 10 mags is, I think, enough for light infanteers and that saves a couple of pounds. In any case, I look forward to hearing some comments and thoughts here, both on my rig, and the soldier's load.

Nice rig.  Those pouches are Tactical Tailor you say?  I had no idea they had access to real-deal CADPAT.

Your set up is very much like the Arktis Norloose rig, a half vest/half webbing kind of dealie (Is there a technical name for this?).  I've been looking at something like this for a while now.

Pretty dam nice.You said it holds 10 mags but there were only two 3 mag pouches or am i missing something?Personally ide stick with being able to pack 10 mags if i was on deployment,but in the Militia its definitely not needed.Asides from that its looks pretty comfortable.How compatible is it with the ruck?Also is there a reason you picked Utility pouches with a zipper rather that with fastex clips?

Cool rig tho

Infanteer, the pouches are indeed TT. Call up Dave's Surplus in BC and ask 'em what TT CADPAT pouches they have in stock. As far as I know such pouches are only available through Dave's. I believe their website's URL is: www.davesarmysurplus.com. It is kind of like a half vest/half webbing, but regardless the proper terminology is chest rig, as it uses a yoke vise a full coat-like design.

Paras, the actual chest rig itself has 6 single mag pouches built into it. Thus before you attach any pouches to the rig you can carry 6 rifle mags. Add on 1 TT 3 mag pouch and you get 9 mags, then 1 in the weapon = 10 mags. Right now with both magpouches on there I can carry 13 mags: 12 on the rig, 1 on the weapon.

No slight at all intended, but I find your point of view somewhat disturbing, that in the reserves being able to pack 10 mags is not needed. True, 10 mags are not issued to every rifleman, a shameful situation if I ever saw one. Any CO worth his salt could order extra mags through the system and if his troops are still using the 82 pattern webbing then get each soldier 2 or 3 additional C7 mag pouches. This idea of issuing only 5 mags to each soldier is idiocy. The QOR goes a bit further and issues each soldier 6 mags, which is a step in the right direction, but it is still not enough. For soldiers to be combat effective they need to train with realistic combat weights. That means the same number of mags they'd carry on operations, as well as assorted mission essential kit such as 1 M72 per soldier, mortar bombs, jerry cans full of water,claymores, grenades etc. etc. When I go into the field I have my rig set up to carry as many mags as I'd carry on operations. Even though I am not issued that number of mags I take small weights and put them in the mag pouches to simulate the weight. I carry dummy frags in my grenade pouches. Train as you fight. That should be the motto of every single soldier in the CF; unfortunately it is only paid lip service. Having troops carry the same stuff they'd carry on operations is a simple enough matter. Put in the requests for the proper number of mags, dummy grenades, dummy claymores, dummy M72s, etc. Once that's done keep strict control of your stores and you're set for realistic training. Sorry for the rant, lol, just a topic that is near and dear to my heart.

The rig is quite comfy, and it integrates quite well with my ruck. The shoulder straps are nice and thin; thin being the key here. They don't interfeer at all with the shoulder straps of my ruck and as I said, the rig rides high enough to not interfeer with my ruck's padded waistbelt. I picked the zippered utility pouches instead of going with a pouch that used fastex clips for a couple of reasons. First of all, I could find no other pouch that would hold my canteen, cup and stove on the market that was in CADPAT. Secondly, the zipper is infinitely easier to close than a fastex clip when using one hand. I know many people are leery of zippers, but the zippers on the pouches are thick and strong heavy duty zips, and so far I have yet to hear of a single story from the legions of troops using TT zippered utility pouches that their zipper has busted on an FTX or operation, so it's good to go in my book.

The up of the chest rig is not the real CADPAT, but the pouche is made with the real things.

That was in the review if you bothered to read it.

So why is your chest rig better then the issued TV ( other then the fact its yours)?

It is made of stronger materials than the TV (much more durable), it is completely modular so the user can set it up however he/she would like. It does not interfeer at all with a ruck's padded waistbelt like the TV does and it makes more efficient use of space than the TV, forcing the warfighter to carry only what is needed, nothing more.

That looks pretty cool, but are you actually gonna be allowed to wear it?  Along with you new ruck?

Scm77, right now I'm a civilian. I'm currently very heavily debating whether to join back up as an officer. I am quite close to making the decision to go ahead and do it. That being said, there are a few other issues here. This rig, along with my ruck, I didn't make for the army. I do work in the private sector that has given me opportunities to do interesting things in interesting places, mostly on the green side thus far (hence why I have no black rig as of yet). This work is quite enjoyable (well, relatively speaking) and also pays more than the army. Why do I want to join back up you ask? Because I love my country and I would enjoy the opportunity to lead soldiers. The CF has a big problem. They lack personel. We always hear about all these recruiting drives and whatnot. I already have some experience in the ranks. I'm already quite knowledgable on various military matters more so than most other officer recruits. My view is that when you're in the field, provided it falls within acceptable parameters, wear whatever you wish that you feel will make your life in the field easier. If I go back in and somebody does not want me to wear my chest rig and ruck they can bring me up on charges if they wish. I am not planning on joining back up to put bar after bar on my arm. I'm joining up to lead men into combat. If the largest formation I ever command is a rifle platoon I will not shed a single tear. If the CF wants to lose an such an officer though that's the organization's loss. Some will accuse me of arrogance, hubris, whatever, but while I know that of course there is so much for me to learn and what I don't know could fill volumes, I have lots to offer the army. If they want to throw that away because I want to wear kit that'll do the job better than the issue stuff in the field, they can go shove their heads up their asses. WAR means We Are Ready, and as a leader I will ensure that my men and I are ready. I am not going to pandy about with idiotic rules in a job when lives are on the line. My job as a leader, as a warrior, is to make sure my men and comrades complete the mission and come back home alive. Full stop. Any regulations which get in the way of those two priorities and that do not aid the troops in some way shape or form I have no time for. I'm sure some people who read this will cry and moan that you cannot pick and choose which regs to follow, others will say I'm not army material. That's fine. The purpose of an army is to kill people and break things, and provided you instill the 3 D's on the parade square you shouldn't have to worry about how that's reflected in dress on the battlefield.

Sorry for the rant  :)

My bad, I thought you were just getting into the army.

tacsit said:
Scm77, right now I'm a civilian. I'm currently very heavily debating whether to join back up as an officer. I am quite close to making the decision to go ahead and do it. That being said, there are a few other issues here. This rig, along with my ruck, I didn't make for the army. I do work in the private sector that has given me opportunities to do interesting things in interesting places, mostly on the green side thus far (hence why I have no black rig as of yet). This work is quite enjoyable (well, relatively speaking) and also pays more than the army. Why do I want to join back up you ask? Because I love my country and I would enjoy the opportunity to lead soldiers. The CF has a big problem. They lack personel. We always hear about all these recruiting drives and whatnot. I already have some experience in the ranks. I'm already quite knowledgable on various military matters more so than most other officer recruits. My view is that when you're in the field, provided it falls within acceptable parameters, wear whatever you wish that you feel will make your life in the field easier. If I go back in and somebody does not want me to wear my chest rig and ruck they can bring me up on charges if they wish. I am not planning on joining back up to put bar after bar on my arm. I'm joining up to lead men into combat. If the largest formation I ever command is a rifle platoon I will not shed a single tear. If the CF wants to lose an such an officer though that's the organization's loss. Some will accuse me of arrogance, hubris, whatever, but while I know that of course there is so much for me to learn and what I don't know could fill volumes, I have lots to offer the army. If they want to throw that away because I want to wear kit that'll do the job better than the issue stuff in the field, they can go shove their heads up their asses. WAR means We Are Ready, and as a leader I will ensure that my men and I are ready. I am not going to pandy about with idiotic rules in a job when lives are on the line. My job as a leader, as a warrior, is to make sure my men and comrades complete the mission and come back home alive. Full stop. Any regulations which get in the way of those two priorities and that do not aid the troops in some way shape or form I have no time for. I'm sure some people who read this will cry and moan that you cannot pick and choose which regs to follow, others will say I'm not army material. That's fine. The purpose of an army is to kill people and break things, and provided you instill the 3 D's on the parade square you shouldn't have to worry about how that's reflected in dress on the battlefield.

Sorry for the rant   :)

Nice rig, however you are wrong. the TV is fine with the ruck.I know this cause I wear it. Further, you are the type of person we don't care to have. We are a team and I don't see an "i" in team. Maybe you should join the American Army, we are peacekeepers not peacemakers.Your quote," The purpose of an army is to kill people and break things", question: Are you insane?? If you want to be a good leader then don't be an "indiviual"and give a s**t about the troops and not so much about yourself. Full Stop. Good luck buddy. ::)

Maybe you should join the American Army, we are peacekeepers not peacemakers.Your quote," The purpose of an army is to kill people and break things", question: Are you insane??

Perhaps you are the kind of person we shouldn't care to have, seeing how you are so obviously unaware of the nature of an armed force.  Tacsit's definition may be a tad crude and unrefined, but at least he doesn't by in to the myth that "Canadian's are Peacekeepers"; a myth that is probably responsible for a good percentage of the militaries problems right now.

I've always believed it's important to reinforce the fact that peacekeeping is a task trained war fighting soldiers perform, it's not a trade.

Exactly; professional soldiers should be able to perform missions along the entire spectrum of conflict.  But we must keep in mind that from one end of the spectrum to the other (humantarian aid to high intensity war) soldiers are required primarily for their ability to use violent force in the event that other groups wish to impede our national interests and interfere with the mission; we call them "the enemy."

As for Tacsit's rant.  I can understand the frustration with having to deal with less then optimal kit for the job but I think you have to reevaluate your outlook on both becoming an Officer and on the profession of arms as a whole.  Your passion for the effort you put into ensuring effective military equipment is commendable; I, as a self professed "kit slut", often look forward to reading what you have to say.   Just don't let that passion give you tunnel vision as there is alot more to being a combat leader then having gucci kit and preparing for war.  The "I'm going to wear what I want, fuck what anybody else says" bravado comes off as both immature and displaying a lack of understanding of some key characteristics required of a combat leader, namely loyalty and trust both up to your superiors and down to your subordinates.  

Loyalty and trust to your superior Officers and their supporting NCO's is essential to maintaining a cohesive and functioning military unit.  By stating that you could care less about what directives your superiors will pass down you are displaying a distrust for your superiors that may be construed as disloyalty.  In that event, you'd most likely be relieved of your command and cashiered; trust me, I've seen it happen before.  I can understand that you wish your troops to have access to the best equipment they can acquire, but the fact that must be remembered is that although as a platoon commander you are responsible for the men and equipment in your platoon, it is not "your" platoon.  It belongs to the Army which chooses to utilize it as it sees fit on behalf of the State.

Naturally the sensible thing regarding the issue is to lobby your C-of-C for permission; if you can present a good enough case some or all of your requests may be authorized.  However, if denied, you have to suck it up and drive on.  This is why I have two sets of kit; my "Ferrari Kit" that I tinker with to my delight, and my "Model T Kit" that is optimized to fit into the designated guidelines.  Yes, I totally agree with the 3VP policy in OP APOLLO, when the time comes you got to do what you must despite what the Department of Helmet Modification says; but that is a matter of picking and choosing your battles.  Adopting a rash, inflexible outlook on kit or any military directive in general is only liable to lead to disappointment and failure.   Remember the principles of "Adapt, Overcome and Improvise".

You're on a roll today, Infanteer. Well said on both issues. :cdn:

Back