• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Moving is cheap?

This thread has now been split off from the original Moving in CF thread.
The original was a stickied thread for people to ask questions in.  It would
be inappropriate to leave it locked for future questions.

Anyone jumping in here just to get a quick jab in at Springroll will be dealt with.

Springroll said:
It cost the CF purse $80,000 to move us from Oak Harbour, WA to Halifax, NS.....$20,000 of that was just us driving out both vehicles and we had all three kids with us, and the 2 dogs. That does not include the extras we were entitled to by moving from a "rent only" location back into Canada.

We were entitled to $50/day/adult and $25/day/child for food= $175/day.
7 days of our trip was in the US, 6 days were in Canada = $4431.00 in just food alone.
We also spent 10 days in hotel when we arrived at location, and with food at the same rate, that totalled $1750.
Grand total in food only $6171.00

For hotel, we were entitled to $300 per night multiplied by 23days = $6900
Mileage was at .42/km x 6100km x 2 vehicles = $5124
Incidentals was $650

Grand Total $18,844

We were not responsible for arranging the move of our F&E, and it was on the road for 23 days and was costly.
Only items we had to present receipts for was hotel.

I am not going to disclose any of the other money we were entitled to as it will not pertain to anyone here unless they have been posted outside of Canada for 24 months or longer.

Springroll,

I'm really trying to figure out how you came up with a total of $80,000 for your move...I really am.

Now I haven't been posted outside of Canada...but I have been posted before, as have others here. I do know some people that have been posted from Colorado to Ontario, they're even saying that is a bit on the high side....mind you their eyes were as big a pizza pies    :eek:

My last posting in 2001 cost the tax payer approx $19,700...from Gagetown, NB to Petawawa Ont....and yes, me and the frau have ALOT of furnature...enough for a 50 foot trailer to be filled. Mind you I admit, no kids and no pets at the time.

Had the basic crap that goes along with a move...new tank for BBQ, drapes and other nonsense that drove me batty.

Now I am trying to figure out the gap of $61,156....there is no way a moving company can charge that much, as far as I know, even if they placed it into storage for a bit.

My in-laws have moved from NB to Prince George BC (approx 2 years ago) and they had their house in storage for a month....and their total was only $32,000 ish.

Not trying to incite a lynch mob here either...just trying to understand how IRPP came up with that amount.    ;)

Regards

SupersonicMax said:
Moving is cheap for the CF?  It will cost them 35 000$ to move me from Kingston to Winnipeg next month...

Max

Wow, are you sure? Two years ago we were posted from Kingston to Winnipeg,  and I remember it not costing not even half of that amount for our family

At least, this is what RP predicted with their spreadsheet... With the animals, house hunting trip, movers, packers, shipping the car, all the allowances, hotel, food, etc, this is the number they came with.  I was also surprised about this number but what the hell, this isn't my money... 

When I was posted back from Lahr to Chilliwack in 93 with a wife and 4 kids, I believe the total bill was around $42K, all in.  Prices must have really shot up..

I was going to start a new topic, but i'll just ask here.

I'm getting posted to Cold Lake soon, in June actually, from Borden. What are my options in regards to travel?

My first choice would be to fly to there and CMTT my belongings and my Car (do they even take vehicles)? I don't want to drive all that distance and rack-up the milage, besides, the praries are boring.

Is there anywhere I can find more info into this matter? Thanks.

jutes said:
I was going to start a new topic, but i'll just ask here.

I'm getting posted to Cold Lake soon, in June actually, from Borden. What are my options in regards to travel?

My first choice would be to fly to there and CMTT my belongings and my Car (do they even take vehicles)? I don't want to drive all that distance and rack-up the milage, besides, the praries are boring.

Is there anywhere I can find more info into this matter? Thanks.

You will be directed to IRP when the time comes to handle your move.  CMTT has nothing to do with it.

Back