• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Moving is cheap?

SupersonicMax

Army.ca Veteran
Mentor
Reaction score
Moving is cheap for the CF?  It will cost them 35 000$ to move me from Kingston to Winnipeg next month...

Max

It cost the CF purse $80,000 to move us from Oak Harbour, WA to Halifax, NS.....$20,000 of that was just us driving out both vehicles and we had all three kids with us, and the 2 dogs. That does not include the extras we were entitled to by moving from a "rent only" location back into Canada.

I can't believe some of the stuff I'm reading. The numbers seem inflated and out of proportion (This is coming from a guy who has done the round trip of Canada) and I'd like to see some supporting links to these claims.

When I travelled east last year the ENTIRE DRIVE cost me 1500 bucks for two people. That included hotels every night (not dives either), 3 good meals a day, gas, booze. My moving company, with enough furniture to fill an 1800 sq ft house cost me $5500. Pardon me if my numbers don't seem to jive with everyone else's.

I know what the Federal Gov't pays back for moving and it does not compare with the claims people are making here. I think I got .55 cents a km for my truck and was allowed to claim all meals and hotels with receipts. I could also claim the entire amount of the moving company. Those numbers do not compare with what has been posted here.

Edited to add: I am not calling BS on anyone. I am saying that, having done this myself a couple of times, that I cannot believe that people are claiming these ridiculous amounts. I would like to see some proof.

Scott said:
I think I got .55 cents a km for my truck and was allowed to claim all meals and hotels with receipts.

I can't post links, but I will type out some of the information.
Our move took place July and August 2004

We were entitled to $50/day/adult and $25/day/child for food= $175/day.
7 days of our trip was in the US, 6 days were in Canada = $4431.00 in just food alone.
We also spent 10 days in hotel when we arrived at location, and with food at the same rate, that totalled $1750.
Grand total in food only $6171.00

For hotel, we were entitled to $300 per night multiplied by 23days = $6900
Mileage was at .42/km x 6100km x 2 vehicles = $5124
Incidentals was $650

Grand Total $18,844

We were not responsible for arranging the move of our F&E, and it was on the road for 23 days and was costly.
Only items we had to present receipts for was hotel.

I am not going to disclose any of the other money we were entitled to as it will not pertain to anyone here unless they have been posted outside of Canada for 24 months or longer.

**edited to add: Scott, how was your moving company only $5500? Where did you move from and to where?
We had enough furniture to furnish a 3600sq ft home.

Grande Prairie, AB to just outside Halifax, NS for about 5500 km and it did indeed come out to 5500 bucks, give or take a few Loonies. The move was this time last year and we did get a bit of a break because of my fire service, the same break they give to CF members. I would not kid about what I have claimed with Revenue Canada, I have been audited for the last 5 years, this being the first one they haven't, and don't particularly enjoy it.

Why are you spending Gov't money on hotels when you arrive? There was zero provision for this under Revenue Canada, IIRC. Was this a CF sponsored move?

Incidentals?

Scott:

My experience has been that you are entitled to hotel accommodations until your F&E arrive.  Springroll indicated that it took 23 days for her F&E to arrive and that she received 23 days hotel... although 23 days seems like a tremendously long time... I don't think it took me that long to get my stuff back from Lahr!

Scott said:
Grande Prairie, AB to just outside Halifax, NS for about 5500 km and it did indeed come out to 5500 bucks, give or take a few Loonies. The move was this time last year and we did get a bit of a break because of my fire service, the same break they give to CF members. I would not kid about what I have claimed with Revenue Canada, I have been audited for the last 5 years, this being the first one they haven't, and don't particularly enjoy it.

Why are you spending Gov't money on hotels when you arrive? There was zero provision for this under Revenue Canada, IIRC. Was this a CF sponsored move?

Incidentals?

Well the thread is called "Moving in the CF", so I wouldn't have posted the information I did unless it pertained to this particular thread.
CF sponsored move for us. We were posted back to Canada at the end of his NATO posting, as is usually done. As for why we were spending money on hotels when we got to location, house was not in our possession yet, so where else would we live?? We never had to arrange for our movers...IRPP did that for us. All we had to do was get three estimates and send them on through to IRPP with our recommendation on who we would like, they ultimately chose.

Incidental money is for those little things that you are unable to move through the moving company like your bbq propane tanks, cleaners etc

scoutfinch said:
Scott:

My experience has been that you are entitled to hotel accommodations until your F&E arrive.  Springroll indicated that it took 23 days for her F&E to arrive and that she received 23 days hotel... although 23 days seems like a tremendously long time... I don't think it took me that long to get my stuff back from Lahr!

13 days travel to location, 10 days at location before F&E arrived.

scoutfinch said:
Scott:

Thanks for that info, that's what I was looking for. 23 days isn't long at all. Mine took 36.

Springroll said:
Well the thread is called "Moving in the CF", so I wouldn't have posted the information I did unless it pertained to this particular thread.
CF sponsored move for us.

Nooooooooo!!  ::) Thanks for the update. I was asking questions, that is allowed on these boards. Thanks for pointing out the obvious for me though.

We were posted back to Canada at the end of his NATO posting, as is usually done. As for why we were spending money on hotels when we got to location, house was not in our possession yet, so where else would we live??

Yeah, I could gather very easily that there would be nowhere else to live, I didn't know that you didn't have possession of your house though. No need to add the question at the end. All you're missing is someone wagging their finger and tapping their toe. Tone via type, it's getting a workout here.

Incidental money is for those little things that you are unable to move through the moving company like your bbq propane tanks, cleaners etc

Thank you.

lol....I just re-read my post and it does come across testy, doesn't it...

sorry, it wasn't meant to be.

Springroll said:

Nope......

Propane tank, cleaning and things the mover's cant take are reimbursed by providing the supporting recepits when meeting IRP at destination for your claim.  Incidental money is provided as a per diem ( in addition to the daily meal rate) and received with your advance at origin ( if you take one).

aesop081 said:
Nope......

Propane tank, cleaning and things the mover's cant take are reimbursed by providing the supporting recepits when meeting IRP at destination for your claim.  Incidental money is provided as a per diem ( in addition to the daily meal rate) and received with your advance at origin ( if you take one).

Are you thinking the daily incidental rate of $17/day?
IRPP in Colorado Springs told us that the lump sum of $650 was for the replacement of propane tanks, blinds, cleaning supplies and such that would need to be replaced. It even says so on our financial worksheet.

Springroll said:
IRPP in Colorado Springs told us that the lump sum of $650 was for the replacement of propane tanks, blinds, cleaning supplies and such that would need to be replaced. It even says so on our financial worksheet.

$650 is your moving grant ( what we used to call the curtains and blinds allowance).  It does not cover things like cleaners and propane tanks.  You require recepts for those and they will reimburse those.  How do i know this ? I've done five freakin times...lol

Springroll said:

Thats what i thought you were refering to when you said "incidental money".........the right terminology would get your point across better

I just looked at my claim for last september's move.........yup there it is, one propane tank.........the move to Greenwood.....yup....one propane tank........

Maybe the terms changed then since our move was in 2004, but when we moved in 2001 I don't recall us ever getting the $650. We had to turn over receipts for the tanks, cleaners etc.

I am looking at the worksheet and it says Non-accountable Incidentals $650.
If you would like, I can scan it so you can see what it says for yourself?

"I am looking at the worksheet and it says Non-accountable Incidentals $650."

Commonly known as the moving grant and has been used your DECADES to replace window dressings etc.

By the way, why is it that EVERY *&^#($ PMQ in Canada has different sized windows?  At one time in my life, I had about 20 different sets of curtains -- none of which could be used in the most recent PMQ!

Springroll said:
Maybe the terms changed then since our move was in 2004, but when we moved in 2001 I don't recall us ever getting the $650. We had to turn over receipts for the tanks, cleaners etc.

I am looking at the worksheet and it says Non-accountable Incidentals $650.
If you would like, I can scan it so you can see what it says for yourself?

No i dont need you to scan it for me...... it was called a moving grant when i moved to Edmonton in 97, It was called a moving grant when i moved to gagetown in 01, i dont remember what it was when i moved to Greenwood in 05 but it say "moving Grant" for the move here in 05.  Iregardless it does not cover propane tanks and cleaning of your residence.

I've been getting $650 moving grant since my first move in 1997.  Back then you had to have a certain amount of weight to get 650 and if you had less it was about $200.

scoutfinch said:
By the way, why is it that EVERY *&^#($ PMQ in Canada has different sized windows?  At one time in my life, I had about 20 different sets of curtains -- none of which could be used in the most recent PMQ!

keeps you on your toes and builds character..... ;D

I can personally attest to it being referred to as a moving grant back as far as 1986.

I can remember going curtain shopping with my mother in the mid 70s with the 'moving grant'.

scoutfinch said:
By the way, why is it that EVERY *&^#($ PMQ in Canada has different sized windows?

that's easy. For all the different sized soap boxes! :D

Ahhhhh...I get it now.  Well it worked.  I am quite the character after all! ;)

Back