• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

movie peacekeepers

No Man‘s Land was a brilliant piece, I saw it so late at night that I had to force myself to stay awake. Its only shortcoming was the complete lack of any sort of subtitling, and my Serbo-Croat is only marginally worse than my French. Fortunately, at least the basics of the plot were fairly easy to understand.

The guy lying on the mine... I can‘t begin to imagine how much that would have to suck.

In real life he wouldn‘t be laying on the mine ,as soon as he hit it..KABOOM. Contrary to what Hollywierd likes to portray there are no pressure release mines,or ones that go "click" when you step on them,once the proper amount of pressure is applied..up you go!!
No Man‘s Land was slightly entertaining as far as cheap films go but not a masterpiece by any stretch of the imagination,not at all accurate at all. Since when did the French have BOV APCs??

Peacekeepers may be crap as far as realism goes, but it is good PR, and it actually focuses on Canadian troops. I haven‘t even heard of another movie out there that does that. Lets take all the positive publicity we can get, God knows the CF needs it.

Hollywood‘s never been to worried about realism, and the broader masses likely don‘t know enough about landmines to really care, the dramatic tool that the landmine serves as is what matters.

Most of the gear in the movie, as I understand it, was borrowed from Slovenia‘s army, and they managed to get some stuff from the French contingents in other parts of the former Yugoslavia on loan (like the VBL that they show a few times).

Patlabour 2 "Canadian reenforcements are on the way" :D

I thought Saviour was good too. It looked like it was shot in the Balkans. They had the same red tiled roofs, mountains and same crappy roads. You could almost smell the dirty chimney smoke and charcoal.

It was actully filmed in Yugoslavia (aka Serbia) just before the bombing campaign started in 1999.

Originally posted by MG34:
[qb] there are no pressure release mines,or ones that go "click" when you step on them
[/qb]
I guess if you hear it go "click" :eek: you can thank God its a dud and get outa there.

someone jsut stated that there are no pressure release landmines. I‘m not an engineer and my opnion in the matter can only be described as "uninformed". I‘ve never handled, stepped-on, sat-on or even seen a landmine. However the UMNOP-1 fuse used byt the former warring factions in Bosnia does(did?) have a pressure release mode. It requires 15kg of weight to keep the spoon depressed. However that being said the idea that it operates by having you step on it and then you‘re stuck is untrue. You would have to step on it and then arm the fuse. Perhaps I‘m arguing semantics and in that case I‘ll shut-up now.

OK Hogan‘s Hero...just asked a WO from the Engineer Sqn here about that....

UMNOP-1 is nothing more than a switch. It can be used as a primary or secondary firing device. It‘s primary funtion is if a mine were set up in a booby trap mode. It is not standard issue with ANY mine...therefore not a common employment device.

I also asked him about any pressure release mines currently employed around the world. There are none. Even the bounding mines require pressure to initiate detonation. Hollywood is out to lunch, go figure. :D

He also reiterated that anything is possible to someone that is trained and has imagination for an improvised mine/ booby trap.

In other words, it‘s possible but HIGHLY unlikely.

Hope that clears up a few misconceptions that have been raised out there

Regards

It did actually clear up my own misconceptions. Thanks for taking the time to ask your friend and post the answer.

Odd,I thought the answer I gave was clear enough :D All that Pioneer training didn‘t go to waste after all.
Saviour was another bunch of hollwierd inspired crap total cheese from start to finish.So far I have not seen 1 movie about the Balkans that accurately captured the cess poll that that part of the world was at one time.I suppose that every witer and director has their own personal agenda in their movies but it would be nice to see a totally objective movie about what went on there.

Try and lay your hands on a copy of Shot Through The Heart. A Canadian/Hungarian production with Vincent Perez and Linus Roach about two snipers in Sarajevo. It‘s supposedly based on a true story about two friends who were on the Yugoslavian Olympic Rifle Team who one Serb and one Bosnian Muslim who ended up on opposite sides when the ountry fell apart in the 1990‘s.

Very well done in my opinion.

Re my last, Shot Through the Heart has been reviewed here.

http://army.ca/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/14/19?

Back