• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Motorcycle dress code question

kolkim

Inactive
Reaction score
I ride my bike to work and I've been told to take off all of my gear when I dismount to walk across the street from the parking lot to my building. That was fine when it was warmer, but now I'm riding to work with a helmet, a big jacket, backpack, kneepads, and gloves. Im expected to take it all off in the rain for a 30 second walk? I read the CF Dress Instructions 7-1 that says the helmet will be taken off immediately after dismounting, I don't see anything about the jacket or knee pad but I feel I wont win that battle.

My question is, if I wear a civilian pants so the only military clothing showing is my boots, could I walk around? Might this be in a CFTO? 

Check your local Dress Instructions.  This was specifically covered in the 12 Wing DIs when I was there a few years ago.  It was a no-go there, no CADPAT could be showing.  That is not the case in the DIs at my current posting however.  Different rules, but is authorized IAW the CF Dress Instructions (local commanders being allowed to all/disallow things at their own discretion).

By 'if I wear civilian pants', you mean CADPAT north of the equator, civie stuff south of the equator, IIRC the CF Dress Instructions specifically state that civilian and military attire 'shall not be mixed' or words to that effect.

30 seconds or 30 minutes.  Same rules for everyone.

I think he means civilian pants OVER his CADPAT, then walk to the building and take everything off when he gets in.

Strike is right, I mean wearing pants over my cadpat, and then my armored motorcycle jacket, and my helmet so the only military showing is my combat boots. Then once inside I take it all off.

Where could I find local dress instructions? I am at 4 Wing

Don't bother, this is a dead issue.  Seen it before.  You ride into work, it's no different than driving a car.  Once you park it and get out of or off it, you are expected to be in proper uniform.

Once you step away from your bike, think about it no differently than stepping out the door of your car!  And that is the way it will be viewed.

From 4 Wing Dress Policy - Wing Standing Admin Order 232

18. Motorcycles/Bicycles. When riding to and from work, proper protective safety equipment should be worn as detailed in Ref H. When in uniform and wearing protective equipment, after dismount, personnel are to adhere to the 1-metre rule. Dismount bike, remove safety equipment and put on proper headdress. There is to be no mixing of civilian and military clothing once outside the 1-metre area around your motorcycle or bicycle.

Occam said:
From 4 Wing Dress Policy - Wing Standing Admin Order 232

18. Motorcycles/Bicycles. When riding to and from work, proper protective safety equipment should be worn as detailed in Ref H. When in uniform and wearing protective equipment, after dismount, personnel are to adhere to the 1-metre rule. Dismount bike, remove safety equipment and put on proper headdress. There is to be no mixing of civilian and military clothing once outside the 1-metre area around your motorcycle or bicycle.

OMG, the "1 metre" rule!  Now that is priceless!!!!      :rofl:

C'mon, they could've called it "the cone of cycling attire".  ;)

That kind of chicken-shit drives me crazy.  I ride...a lot.  I insist that I, and those that ride with me, wear full protective gear at all times.  Any bullshit useless small-brained dinosaur idea that makes it harder to wear full protective gear is flat out dumb.  Better alive in "mixed attire" than dead in a pristine uniform.

Fuck I hate dinosaurs.

COA 1:
Put your uniform in a backpack, wear civies to work, change at work.

COA 2:
Keep your uniform at work, wear civies to work, change at work.

PPCLI Guy said:
That kind of chicken-crap drives me crazy.  I ride...a lot.  I insist that I, and those that ride with me, wear full protective gear at all times.  Any bullshit useless small-brained dinosaur idea that makes it harder to wear full protective gear is flat out dumb.  Better alive in "mixed attire" than dead in a pristine uniform.

But... but... but.....that's anarchy!

Ludoc said:
COA 1:
Put your uniform in a backpack, wear civies to work, change at work.

COA 2:
Keep your uniform at work, wear civies to work, change at work.

COA 3:
Park one metre from the door.

Haggis said:
COA 3:
Park one metre from the door.

COA 4: Wear full pants and coat that completely COVER your CAF dress so you aren't visibly mixing military and civilian dress.

Seen it at my current HQ with people wearing the big 'ole yellow pants and jackets and then taking them off in the foyer or change room.

Strike said:
COA 4: Wear full pants and coat that completely COVER your CAF dress so you aren't visibly mixing military and civilian dress.

Seen it at my current HQ with people wearing the big 'ole yellow pants and jackets and then taking them off in the foyer or change room.

This is what I'm interested in. Can I find a CFTO with this?

kolkim said:
This is what I'm interested in. Can I find a CFTO with this?

Pretty sure you won't find dress regs in a CFTO.....

Right, I guess I mean something concrete in paper.

Doesn't matter though, I asked my supervisor and he shut it down. Says you cannot wear civilian attire to work so wearing a jacket and pants over cadpat wouldn't be allowed.

Kind of dumb you have to take off all of your gear outside in the cold and rain but its the rules. I guess I'll cut riding season short.

kolkim said:
Says you cannot wear civilian attire to work so wearing a jacket and pants over cadpat wouldn't be allowed.

I'm four years out of the loop, but is this a base thing?  I don't see any shortage of military pers coming into work in civvies and changing, and then changing back into civvies to go home.  Or is what I'm seeing an NCR thing?...

edit: typos

Occam said:
I'm four years out of the loop, but is this a base thing?  I don't see any shortage of military pers coming into work in civvies and changing, and then changing back into civvies to go home.  Or what I'm seeing an NCR thing...

It not just an NCR thing, I have never been to or heard of a base that you aren't allowed to wear civilian clothes to and from work.  Very strange.

And sometimes, when certain people over-react, we are ordered to.

Back