• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

More on the Background Checks

ReadyAyeReady

Inactive
Reaction score
Just to add to my earlier questions regarding background checks for those of us who lived outside of the country in the past 10 years...what kind of checks do they peform in the other country?  I lived in the UK for 2 years...so what will they be doing...talking to my professors from university and my ex-girlfirend from Ireland and stuff like that...or will they just do the same thing they do here in Canada...Criminal Records, Credit Checks etc. Maybe talk to the British High Commission...

Hi ReadyAyeReady,

For future reference, it would have been better that you posted this second question in your original thread. It makes for better organization on topics. :)

I also studied outside the country like you for a couple of years, and I have been going through the same security sweep that you will be doing.   I did a fair bit of reading into this subject and really exactly what happens in certain areas of these security sweeps is secret and no one really knows exactly what goes on. Certain information about the clearance is kept secret so that 'baddies' will not be able to think of ways of getting through the system undetected.

The main difference between this clearance and the normal clearance is the amount of information you give on the form. Such as listing all your family members and thier contact information, plus plenty of other stuff.

At one point they will contact the UK to confirm and exchange information (exactly what kind of info I don't know). It is good that you studied in a NATO country, as they have an agreement to pass information like that through computers etc. So that will speed things up.

It is possible that they may contact anyone you listed on the security form at some point (That may include your prof. in the UK if you listed him) But due to the processing times, I suspect this would only happen if there are indications of problems or they only do it to a certain number of applicants. If they physically start phoning people or visiting people to talk to them about you, then you could be looking at long wait (13 months at worst). If there are no snags, the average is supposed to be about 4 months.

I am currently in month 4 of my sweep, so I am half expecting it to come back within a few weeks. Unless they start contacting people I put on the form, in which case I can expect to wait a lot longer. So far, no one I know was contacted.

Hope this is of some help.

Pieman

I also have lived outside the country during the last ten years, living in Japan for two years from 1999 - 2001. If you lived in an english speaking country, perhaps they would check up on your behaviour, especially if another commonwealth country. But who the hell are they going to speak to in Japan? The only thing they could possibly find out, and with no great ease, is whether I got myself a criminal record overseas! In which case I would have been kicked out of the country, which would be very easy to find out. CSIS isn't as awe-inspiring or mysterious as everyone goes on about. They are just regular beauracrats and make alot of errors like any other branch of the Canadian gov't. They informed me that they checked out all of my refererences in Japan, which turned out to be complete horseshit, because I keep in touch with those people still - and they were never contacted. I believe that they do a cursory background check at best, and probably ony look for basic things like criminal records or incounters with local law enforcement, anything an overzealous employer could find out.

On the CSIS website, there is a seciton about security screening:

http://www.csis-scrs.gc.ca/eng/operat/ss_e.html

And on this page they talk about level I, II, and III security clearance under the government security policy (GSP), all of which are more rigourous screenings than enhanced reliability check (correct me if I am wrong about that!).   According to them, levels I and II screenings are done electronically, while level III requires that a field investigation be done.   You guys can read as well as I can, so enough said.

CFRC Vancouver has told me repeatedly that this security process takes 9-18 months, which seems unbelievable. I lived in the UK for a year in 1999. This was mentioned to me after all interviewing and testing was completed and passed, so I'm at a loss to explain the situation. My DEO application was submitted two years ago this month.

My DEO application was submitted two years ago this month.

Wow.

I would suggest contacting someone higher up in the recruiting food chain.

Who that is, I'm not entirely sure, but there's no possible way the CF would think waiting 2 years to process your application is "acceptable".

In regards to living outside the country...  CSIS does whatever clearances they can do in Canada (however long that takes) then your file is forwarded to the Canadian Mission in whichever country (or the closest country) you lived in.  The mission then asks their liason in said country to double-check and confirm the information (getting by the mentioned language barrier).  Why does it take so long?  You can imagine the beurocracy that other countries must have, and having to get through that countries' and our own, you can see where the time starts adding up...  It is ridiculous, but it's the nature of the beast.  Hope that helps.

T

P.S. Information comes from a retired RCMP member who spent 7 years with CSIS...  He retired 3 years ago, so things may have changed a bit...

I had to undergo a Verification Of Former Service as well, so I think this has resulted in a worst-case scenario situation in terms of waiting and processing time.

i got my Verification of Former Service back in less than a month,my recruiting Corporal at 6TH Field said that the clerk at 6TH Field bypassed CF RC Vancouver and had it back at 39 Brigade real quick like,seems CF RC Vancouver can't seem to know who to talk to at ND HQ. :salute:

I'm waiting on my VFS as well. It's been 2 months now. I think I'll give the CFRC a call later today and see what's up.

Remember, the best case manager for your case, is you.

Back