• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

MODCAN vest??

no, sorry.  I wasn't the one who located it originaly, a member of the GNSF whom I worked with during the summer found it and printed it off for us.  Next time I'm on a DIN computer I'll see if I can e-mail him and get the details.

48Highlander said:
Hey, while on the subject of Tac Vests....here's a question.  When the regiment insist on standardizing Tac Vests for the Brigade Commanders inspection, is there a polite way of pointing out that there's a CANFORGEN specificaly stating that Tac Vests will NOT be standardized? :p

A mystery CANFORGEN?,, I don't think it exists.  I don't recall seeing a CANLANDGEN either.

Cold Warrior said:
A mystery CANFORGEN?,, I don't think it exists.  I don't recall seeing a CANLANDGEN either.

I just looked through the CANFORGENs, CANLANDGENs, LFCOs, and LFCADs going back to 2001.  Zip, Zero, Zilch. 

48Highlander said:
no, sorry.  I wasn't the one who located it originaly, a member of the GNSF whom I worked with during the summer found it and printed it off for us.  Next time I'm on a DIN computer I'll see if I can e-mail him and get the details.

Who was it? I can ask him tonight.

flashman said:
I just looked through the CANFORGENs, CANLANDGENs, LFCOs, and LFCADs going back to 2001.  Zip, Zero, Zilch. 

That's...unusual.  I know I had a physical document detailing that TV's not be standardized.

foerestedwarrior said:
Who was it? I can ask him tonight.

Thanks, PM inbound.

Can you remember any other key phrases I could do a DIN search with?  The HQ or Unit that it originated from?
The only doc I could find was from (where else?) Meaford, detailing that the Tac vest shall be standardized.

LFCA TC Meaford TAC Vest
Tactical Vest (TV) – the TV has many options and variations that may be amended by Comds to suit specific operations or tasks.  For unit standardization purposes, all TVs will be configured and packed IAW this direction.  Individuals are not authorized to alter the stowage or layout of the TV unless approved by the member’s chain of comd.

great... standardization over effectiveness... why don't we do away with FO and go with DEU for all occasions... that way things can really be standard... or only buy everything in once size so it's extra super duper standard.

*sigh*, I guess I still won't be able to wear my knife, lighter and mini binos on my left TV shoulder strap instead of my belt that is convieniently covered with shirt, TV, weapon and Mask.

Tactical Vest (TV) – the TV has many options and variations that may be amended by Comds to suit specific operations or tasks.  For unit standardization purposes, all TVs will be configured and packed IAW this direction.  Individuals are not authorized to alter the stowage or layout of the TV unless approved by the member’s chain of comd.

does that mean you can't turn the canteen pocket on it's side?? even though the TV manual gives instructions on how to do so. It's so darn hard to get the canteen out if it's upright... the pocket is under your arm pit.. I don't bend that way.

Jeeze, do what you want with your TV.  It's a cut and past from a Meaford policy, so it has no effect on you if you're not under their comd. 
The problem with being stupid about standardizing field kit (ie, exempting standard locations for ammo, medical kit, CEOI & maps) is that it just forces everyone to break the rules. 

Well, I have, unfortiunately, still not been able to find the documentation about tac-vest standardization.  So, just on the off chance that my memory has gone a bit wonky, I would like to retract my claims untill I am able to find something to substantiate them.

I certainly hope you do find something, I like my vest the way it is, and I don't want to move crap around again.  Beside I like being only one of two people in the regiment who wears the rank slip-on over the bayonet.  ;D

Something is either standard or it isn’t. A uniform Nazi will no sooner let you wear this (the MODCAN vest) then any other non-issue vest. If you happen to be in a unit that allows non-issue kit in the field, then I can think of better ways to spend your $600+ ($300 for the base vest, without any pouches. Buying DZ products, you’re looking at around  $600-$700 for a fully kitted out vest).

thanks RW4TH, it took three pages before somebody actually responded to my question.. much appreciated .  Talk about a Hijacked thread!

:skull:
  Don't know if this helps or not. My unit did a freedom of the city parade in Med Hat with TACVEST. We had both the side hip pouches removed, slipons the left shoulder and french rolls for the straps.

We had the choice to attend the parade or not. I have found parades in the Army are standard and uniformity is key. I can tell you once the parade was over, soldiers were re-setting up their vests to their liking.

I believe the intent of the VEST was to allow the user to use it as they see fit in the field, Turn the pouches up or left or down or what ever. Remember the 84 pattern and how many guys had bren gun pouches or extra mag pouches? not very unformed. I can remember having to remove my bren gun pouches for a Command Parade. Thats Army life.

So take that as you may, good luck.
:salute:

Back