• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

MODCAN vest??

zak

Inactive
Reaction score
Has anyone tried this vest and if so what do you think?  Could it be a relatively cheap upgrade for combat arms?

http://www.dropzonetactical.com/lbe/modcanvest.html

If you mean upgrade as in "get the government to buy it for us", then not bloody likely.  If they'd wanted you to have a modular vest, they would have ISSUED you a modular vest :p

Please 48th, Ive been around long enough to know that the government is not going to replace my TV any time soon.  They also want me to carry a whole lot of stuff but have yet to issue me sufficient space or a midget to carry it yet. ;)

But besides that is the vest a worth while investment for someone not looking into dropping thousands on a sexy RAV or CIRAS?

Hey, while on the subject of Tac Vests....here's a question.  When the regiment insist on standardizing Tac Vests for the Brigade Commanders inspection, is there a polite way of pointing out that there's a CANFORGEN specificaly stating that Tac Vests will NOT be standardized? :p

Zak

The Modcan vest is an excellent choice for upgrading.

It allows you to stay close to the issue one but gives you all the options you want in a modular vest. As much a guys say you can only wear issue, tell that to all the guys going overseas now wearing aftermarket rigs.

The Modcan also allows you to wear you vest on EX's since it looks so close to the issue one.

48Highlander said:
Hey, while on the subject of Tac Vests....here's a question.  When the regiment insist on standardizing Tac Vests for the Brigade Commanders inspection, is there a polite way of pointing out that there's a CANFORGEN specificaly stating that Tac Vests will NOT be standardized? :p

You could try marching out in front of the unit on parade with a copy of said CANFORGEN in your hand and show it to the RSM. RSMs love being publically corrected by troopies on matters of dress. 8)

Thanks for the interest Zak. The folks from DLR have looked at the vest and seemed to be impressed, but it is my understanding that they have so much invested in the existing TV that it will be in the supply chain for some time to come.

The RCMP ERT Training division are doing T&E on it now and several individuals have purchased them for use overseas including CF members albeit much to the chagrin of the higher-ups :eek:

Kindest Regards
Brian Kroon
Drop Zone

48Highlander said:

Stick copies of it (the CANFORGEN) in each of your pockets prior to inspection...

Or prominently about the unit lines in a variety of locations and Hi Lited in Pink or Green for high visibility.

MM

You could always show up to the inspection, not standardized, with the CANFORGEN attached to the front of your vest.  ;D

Thanks for all the wonderfull suggestions guys.  It's good to know army.ca members always think of my well-being when replying to my posts  ;D

Danjanou said:
You could try marching out in front of the unit on parade with a copy of said CANFORGEN in your hand and show it to the RSM. RSMs love being publically corrected by troopies on matters of dress. 8)

KevinB said:
Stick copies of it (the CANFORGEN) in each of your pockets prior to inspection...

J. Gayson said:
You could always show up to the inspection, not standardized, with the CANFORGEN attached to the front of your vest.  ;D

Needless to say I've already considered all of the above, and upon due consideration have come to the conclusion that I'd rather not commit suicide in such a messy and public fashion :)

medicineman said:
Or prominently about the unit lines in a variety of locations and Hi Lited in Pink or Green for high visibility.

That's actually pretty tempting....

We did that in Calgary one time when the RSM wanted us to press our combats with nice sharp creases... ::)

MM

"is there a polite way of pointing out that there's a CANFORGEN specificaly stating that Tac Vests will NOT be standardized?"

You wouldn't happen to have that CANFORGEN would you?

CFL said:
"is there a polite way of pointing out that there's a CANFORGEN specificaly stating that Tac Vests will NOT be standardized?"

You wouldn't happen to have that CANFORGEN would you?

I have a photocopy of it shoved in somewhere amongst my lesson plans and timetables from a few months back.  I don't have a digital copy which I can send you if that's what you're asking.

J. Gayson said:
You could always show up to the inspection, not standardized, with the CANFORGEN attached to the front of your vest.   ;D

Thats only acceptable if everyone has the memo attached

48Highlander
actually I have the link to the CANFORGEN's on my work computer so if you could give me something to refine my search that would be all I ask for.

CFL said:
48Highlander
actually I have the link to the CANFORGEN's on my work computer so if you could give me something to refine my search that would be all I ask for.
I'd be interested too...

CFL said:
48Highlander

Oh, great!  It's a bit late now, but if you locate it send me a copy :p  I can't find the one we printed off, and I don't have access to them online.

As for refining the search, as far as I remember the wording of it goes "...tac vests will not be standardized.  They will be customized for individual use".  You can do a search for an actual phrase right?  Try "will not be standardized".  Should hit it right away, in the military there can't be very many sentences with those words in that order :)

Back