• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Minister in hot water-Art Eggleton Story

C

cagomez

Looks like the defense minister is in hot water.

http://www.cbc.ca/stories/2002/02/04/eggleton020204

Not sure how I feel on this. He did withhold info and gave a different story but considering that the news doesnt seem so serious why are they trying to grill him. How well informed were the politicians about our earlier operations. Would they be so mad then ? This whole PW confusion seems like another attempt for CDN politicians to please everybody. After all our forces are under US command. who the ****  else is going to take the PWs. All our forces in afghanistan need is something else to worry about. I could just imagine being on patrol overthere and coming upon some enemy. Do I A) take him prisoner, hand him over to the US and possibly go to jail for disobeying the Geneva convention or B) let this guy go loose and get shot in the back.

"Better tried by twelve than buried by six"    :evil:  

Opposition questions Eggleton's story on captured prisoners
Last Updated Mon, 04 Feb 2002 21:50:06
OTTAWA - A parliamentary committee is set to grill Defence Minister Art Eggleton for changing his story about Canadian troops who took prisoners in Afghanistan.

The MPs are debating whether Eggleton is in contempt of Parliament for presenting two versions of the events to the house.

FROM FEB. 1, 2002: Commons committee will decide if Eggleton should face discipline

Eggleton first said he learned of the prisoner handover on Friday, Jan. 25. Then he said he'd actually been briefed about the event five days earlier, on Jan. 21.

"If the minister didn't know, he was incompetent," said Conservative MP Gerald Keddy. "If the minister did know and deliberately withheld that information from Parliament, then he's completely untrustworthy."

All the opposition parties agree it's important to get to the bottom of the mixup. Deputy Prime Minister John Manley said Eggleton already said he didn't intend to mislead the house.

The committee must first decide what witnesses to call. It's expected to hear from Eggleton sometime this week.

The committee can decide to believe Eggleton didn't intend to mislead the house. If not, it can recommend a reprimand or even dismissal.

Ultimately, it's Parliament that decides the minister's fate, not the committee. The Liberals have the majority in Parliament.

Well, my reply here is a bit off topic, but related nonetheless...

Yesterday I caught the very tail end of "Cross Country Checkup" (or whatever it‘s called now), the current affairs phone-in show hosted by Rex Murphy on CBC Radio. The show was about various issues the CF is facing nowadays. I wish I had heard the whole show. Anyhow, one astute caller (ex Reg Force and Reserve) had the point of view that the current Government views the CF as a "public relations tool", and therefore they want the public and the world to view the CF in the role of "good guy-peacekeeper-there to keep harmony in the world", as opposed to a force with the ultimate purpose of war fighting. What do you guys and gals think?

Rob

:cdn:

Great, all I am is a f***ing Liberal PR guy....

Truism: Armies are tools for the implementation of government policy.

Lesson taught by my Gr. 8 shop teacher, Mr. Massey : Don‘t use a screwdriver when you need a chisel.

The pols seem to have forgotten the basic lessons of youth -- use the wrong tool for a job and someone will get hurt.

Either that, or they believe that we have no need for a combat force other than to wave the flag overseas. (e.g., since there is no one that the US would let conquer Canada, and no way we could stop the US from crossing the border if they wanted to take over.)

Back