• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Military Swim Test - When, Where, and How- Merged

To answer quickly, yes, you do some swimming for PT.  First time I had ever started to sweat in a swimming pool with the exception of hot springs.

Swimming:  Right from the army.gc.ca web-site. 

During Basic Training, you must also meet the military swim standard. The test consists of jumping off a three-metre board wearing a life jacket, then swimming 50 metres. You must also somersault into the water without a life jacket, tread water for two minutes, then swim 20 metres. If you cannot swim now, you are advised to take a basic swimming course before proceeding on training.

Success on basic training depends on your individual effort and contribution to the team. If you are constantly tired during training because you are out of shape, you will not learn as much, you will not do as well on the exercises, and you will not be a strong team member. So when you come to Basic Training, it is important for you to be as fit as you can.

Azizti said:
About the swimming test... You have your jumping with a life jacket and swimming, and the summersault + staying up in water for 2 minutes.

You have to do a somersault?  :eek:

How does one actually do a somersault? I don't think I've ever done one of those. Now I'm going to have nightmares about failing a swim test not because I can't swim but because I couldn't do the damn somersault...

starseed said:
You have to do a somersault?  :eek:

How does one actually do a somersault? I don't think I've ever done one of those. Now I'm going to have nightmares about failing a swim test not because I can't swim but because I couldn't do the damn somersault...

IIRC, you do the somersault off the deep end (not in the water) to disorient yourself a bit on entry.

starseed said:
How does one actually do a somersault?

Well, you step up to the edge of the pool, kinda crouch down a bit, lean your head towards the inside of your knees (helps protect the melon), and simply roll yourself forward. Try to push off with your legs to get some distance between yourself and the edge of the pool. The momentum of your body rolling will allow you to finish the somersault in the water (under the water). It's really not a hard move, and the staff always demonstrates it for safety.

If you have concerns and have access to a local pool, or even a pool with PSP staff, then ask if they can go over it with ou if you are that concerned.

Best of luck.

The swim test is fairly difficult, especially if your not a great swimmer, but with the proper technique it's not that bad. First of all you are wearing your combat's, which as you can imagine get quite heavy when wet. Just make sure you tie all the string's on your uniform tight and have a good belt.

I failed my test on the first try, but with some advice from the psp staff, I completed the swim test without difficulty on the second attempt.

First of all, don't panic when you a treading water for 2 minutes, sway your arm's back and fourth and kick your feet and try and float on your back to make it abit easier and stay calm!

After the 2 minutes of treading water is finished, don't just try and swim the rest of the distance, it'll feel like your not even moving and you'll be exhausted really quickly . Swim on your back , bring your arm's up your body without causing too much resistance in the water and push down while kicking your feet the whole time and you should have no problem.

Hope that makes sense and helps someone out with the swim test.

-Skeletor- said:
Do you have to shower with soap? Or just water? Also what soap is better bar or liquid?

>:D

Soap is not required and don't forget to brush your teeth in the morning.  ;D

Not being able to swim is no embarrassing situation - there are plenty of people who cannot swim. I would say just enroll in a basic swimming program and tell them you need to learn the basics.

I was training for the olympics in swimming before I got pregnant at the age of 15...and swimming can be very scary at times for those who are just learning, but it's such a great asset to have. Good luck!

are both parts of the swim test done in combats? on forces.ca it mentions a life jacket for the 50m test, yet treading water for two minutes, dressed in fatigues, with no life jacket doesn't sound like a bucket of fun.

spamoli said:
are both parts of the swim test done in combats? on forces.ca it mentions a life jacket for the 50m test, yet treading water for two minutes, dressed in fatigues, with no life jacket doesn't sound like a bucket of fun.

To elaborate on this a little further... Yes, both parts of the swim test are in combats.

Part one involves the somersault into the deep end, then tread water for 2 minutes. If memory serves me correctly you then swim 50m to the middle part of the pool (there is a deck half way down the pool, plus you are within reach of the side of the pool).

Part two of the swim test is wearing a PFD, climbing the 3m diving board, and jumping off into the water. Now, to take this part a little further, this isn't a cannon ball jump. You are shown the proper technique to do this jump. It is arms across the chest holding the PFD in place (so as not to choke you out), step off of the end of the diving board (don't worry about the height, it's 3 metres, and you are wearing a PFD!), take a quick deep breath as you leave the diving board, cross your feet at the ankle, enjoy the drop. When your body pops out of the water you must have a clenched fist above your head with your arm straight up.

The purpose of part one is to see if you can maintain floating for 2 minutes, I would guess that this is in case you wind up in a situation down the road where you may need to keep afloat, For example a vehicle hits water and you need to tread, you fall off of a boat and you need to tread, you fall off a bridge and you need to tread. You get the picture.

Part two is to simulate a possible evacuation from a ship. In this case you would be wearing a PFD prior to having to jump from the deck. The fist over your head is meant to act as a deflector for any debris that is in the water above you when you emerge from the depths. This prevents you knocking yourself out on a chunk of floating lumber for example.

I hope this helps you out, and should pretty much cover most of the questions about the swim test.

Oh, and yes, you have to shower before entering the pool, even with the combats on! (Especially with combats on!)

Hey Chapeski! You almost sound like you know what you're doing. You must have had an excellent older sister who may one day sound like SHE sorta knows what she's doing in the army too :) Not too much longer hopefully....

armychick2009 said:
Hey Chapeski! You almost sound like you know what you're doing. You must have had an excellent older sister who may one day sound like SHE sorta knows what she's doing in the army too :) Not too much longer hopefully....

Well, now that you mention it I do have 2 excellent older sisters, however, my knowledge comes from first hand experience. That and the swim tests don't always stop after you complete BMQ. Just a couple of weeks ago I had to complete another swim test just to go on adventure training. The key to success is to not over think the tasks/tests. As for this one, it is easiest to float on your back as yo are doing the treading water, and keep your head above water. It's not as easy to tread water in uniform as it is in a bathing suit, however it's not an impossible task.

Keep your hard work up and you'll be sure to go far. A positive attitude is the key to success.

chapeski, i failed my swim test the first time through ahah, i'm not the greatest swimmer. but i got it the second time. one thing to remember, if you're not a good swimmer is to float on your back. if your not that good at treading water like myself. PSP staff will tell you of course its legit as long as your keep your head out of the water, you will be fine. For me though the back floating turned into fubar pretty fast as my buttons on my combats came undone (its 2 sizes bigger than I am I swear) and when thosee combats are wet dang they add some extra weight, so keep that in mind people :D

Hi,

I start basic training on Nov 9,09! I've been working alot  on my chin-ups and push-ups , I find these exercises most difficult!  Also , on the Forces.ca website diff pop ups come up providing tidbits of info about  the Navy , Airforce and Army, there was one that got my attention , "Did you know that you don't have to know to swim to join the Navy"! I'm just wondering if a swim test is still part of training?

Thank You!

As far as I know, the swim test is still done on BMQ.  Don't worry, they teach you everything you need to know.

downrightGuppy said:
chapeski, i failed my swim test the first time through ahah, i'm not the greatest swimmer. but i got it the second time. one thing to remember, if you're not a good swimmer is to float on your back. if your not that good at treading water like myself. PSP staff will tell you of course its legit as long as your keep your head out of the water, you will be fine. For me though the back floating turned into fubar pretty fast as my buttons on my combats came undone (its 2 sizes bigger than I am I swear) and when thosee combats are wet dang they add some extra weight, so keep that in mind people :D

Also remember to tie up the bottom of the pants, it helps a lot. Also do up the wrists to the tightest button.

Back